What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, Yoss said:

Sometimes when you order a bacon sandwich out it can be a disappointment. Not these. Decent amount of bacon, well cooked, just the right amount of saltyness and proper bread. 

I've all but stopped bothering ordering bacon sandwiches out and about - every time I seem to get about 30% of the bacon I would expect, unsmoked bacon, and which seems to have been cooked by steaming it. The bacon is invariably 50% fat as well, which is all stringy and chewy and its just a really big disappointment every time.

That looks like a proper bacon sandwich, lots of meat, cooked in an actual frying pan until bits have gone black, in proper bread. I may well have to make a visit there next time I'm over that way. Was it smoked bacon? I bet it was....

6 hours ago, Yoss said:

But they also have a small eat in section. Usually if you get there after 8am it's full (they open at 7 as any proper butcher does) but there were a couple of spare tables and as I walked in the smell of bacon hit me so I thought sod it and stopped for a bacon sandwich. 

IMG_20221206_100739.thumb.jpg.b40164f76840cf91d2b58e7a1fd0a7e2.jpg

Sometimes when you order a bacon sandwich out it can be a disappointment. Not these. Decent amount of bacon, well cooked, just the right amount of saltyness and proper bread. 

I should make more spontaneous decisions like this. 

That looks absolutely fantastic.  In fact just the photo is making my mouth water.

7 hours ago, Yoss said:

Popped in to our local butchers for some pies. Their pies are great, full to the top and there is something about the pastry that just sets them apart. They probably use lard or something but whatever, it works. 

IMG_20221206_102754.thumb.jpg.37f9323a0b61092ab70a5264cb98cbfd.jpg

But they also have a small eat in section. Usually if you get there after 8am it's full (they open at 7 as any proper butcher does) but there were a couple of spare tables and as I walked in the smell of bacon hit me so I thought sod it and stopped for a bacon sandwich. 

Sometimes when you order a bacon sandwich out it can be a disappointment. Not these. Decent amount of bacon, well cooked, just the right amount of saltyness.....? 

If I'm feeling like scaring the arteries there's a cafe upstairs in Dunelm tat shop on the Croydon trading estate that does a fully loaded for 4quid..... So BnQ at 7ish. Grab shit before it's invaded and then a huge bap and coffee before the day descends into manual labour and/or chores. They regularly burn the bacon for me - perfection 

Long way to Saturday though - curse you 😁

2 hours ago, Stanky said:

I've all but stopped bothering ordering bacon sandwiches out and about - every time I seem to get about 30% of the bacon I would expect, unsmoked bacon, and which seems to have been cooked by steaming it. The bacon is invariably 50% fat as well, which is all stringy and chewy and its just a really big disappointment every time.

That looks like a proper bacon sandwich, lots of meat, cooked in an actual frying pan until bits have gone black, in proper bread. I may well have to make a visit there next time I'm over that way. Was it smoked bacon? I bet it was....

It is their own cured bacon, it's lovely and everything is cooked on a big hot plate in the corner of the cafe. They've won all sorts of awards for their sausages too and the black pudding has a slight pepperyness to it and is all crispy on the outside as it is also cooked on the hotplate. I'm getting hungry again writing this. 

39 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

If I'm feeling like scaring the arteries there's a cafe upstairs in Dunelm tat shop on the Croydon trading estate that does a fully loaded for 4quid..... So BnQ at 7ish. Grab shit before it's invaded and then a huge bap and coffee before the day descends into manual labour and/or chores. They regularly burn the bacon for me - perfection 

Long way to Saturday though - curse you 😁

i was gonna say fecker - always find out about these places after ive driven close to them :D

but i went to an argentinian steak house in tilburg on saturday and was worried due to lack of appetite cos of medical it would be a waste (even tho i ordered the smallest thing they had and drank no beer (ironic i was taxi for the locals and didnt need the sat nav)

nope :D 

appetite not quite back was enuff back to enjoy the evening :D

18 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

eBay, for a change. 

Ever since they introduced managed payments a couple of years ago, I felt it had gone rapidly downhill and stuff just wasn't selling like it used to. 

I have a small number of items listed, whenever the 70/80% off fees promotion comes through I'll list a few new items I've gathered up and relist everything else so that they can take advantage of the offer. 

Two items in particular - one I first advertised in March 2022. The other in June 2022. They did not sell in all that time. 

I did not originally believe in the "promoted listings" thing. However I decided to give it a try, I increased both item prices by around 5%, and introduced a 5% promotion rate to all items. 

Lo and behold, in the last 48 hours, two of those items listed on the dates above have sold!

Very happy. The fee doesn't bother me because I just increased the price. I might be a couple of quid worse off but that doesn't bother me as they're gone and sold now, I didn't need them anyway!

eBay is usually a last resort for me and I know it's full of aggro, but these sort of items wouldn't have sold elsewhere locally for nearly half the amounts I wouldn't have thought 

I have found as you have that since the managed payments kicked in the re list of items does not restart the clock and re list as a new item. You need to end the items when you get an 80% off fees offer then use the "sell similar" option rather than re - list (you can still do this in bulk). This re sets the clock so to speak and promotes your listing to a fresh newly listed item so potential buyers can find it more easily and then hopefully buy it.

Just had an item delivered that wasn't expected until Thursday.  When I mentioned that to the driver, he said that he delivered a car seat to a local garage at 10am Monday (yesterday) and the bloke was flabbergasted as he had ordered it at 2am Sunday night (Monday morning) while he was pissed.

1 minute ago, myglaren said:

Just had an item delivered that wasn't expected until Thursday.  When I mentioned that to the driver, he said that he delivered a car seat to a local garage at 10am Monday (yesterday) and the bloke was flabbergasted as he had ordered it at 2am Sunday night (Monday morning) while he was pissed.

How is that possible unless the driver is shagging the owner of the seat

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

Today's find in the loft 😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_20221206_135103224.thumb.jpg.df7cb7d5648e060acaa1e69aa48f9ac1.jpg

1 minute ago, 108 said:

Still the best book I’ve ever read. 
absolutely first class. 

There are some great bits across the five books and he uses what sound like proper maths and science to explain completely implausible things. Like how the population of the universe is zero and anybody you happen to meet is merely a product of your imagination. Can't remember it exactly but it ends with anything divided by infinity is as close to zero as makes no difference. And the line 'what a depressingly stupid machine' pops into my head all to often. 

But he surpassed himself after the Hitch Hiker books with the two Dirk Gently books. The first of those is absolutely my favourite book bar none. It takes his wit and writing style to another level. And it's only at the end you realise it is sort of very loosely based on Rime of the Ancient Mariner so then you read it again and you notice things you didn't the first time. I of course was only familiar with Rime of the Ancient Mariner from the Iron Maiden epic not the Samuel Taylor Coleridge original but it's enough to make the connections. 

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

Today's find in the loft 😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_20221206_135103224.thumb.jpg.df7cb7d5648e060acaa1e69aa48f9ac1.jpg

Funny, I just bought another copy as I couldn't find mine. Now I know where it went😉

My other half is not a Douglas Adams fan sadly, she got confused when I said I could find the other 4 books in the trilogy but not that one...

On 12/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, Yoss said:

Popped in to our local butchers for some pies. Their pies are great, full to the top and there is something about the pastry that just sets them apart. They probably use lard or something but whatever, it works. 

IMG_20221206_102754.thumb.jpg.37f9323a0b61092ab70a5264cb98cbfd.jpg

I should make more spontaneous decisions like this. 

How much to post one of those pies to me please?

44 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

How much to post one of those pies to me please?

I wouldn't trust the postman with one of those! The pies themselves have just gone up to £2.70 which still seems like great value. They were £2.40 for years and I'm surprised they didn't go up sooner. They are proper full of meat inside. 

4 hours ago, cobblers said:

There's one of these mobile snap vans started turning up at the business park lately. They serve doner kebabs, at 10am. 

Yes I had a large doner kebab for breakfast. 

One day I ran out of bacon , no breakfast bacon buttie ..... Went for a donner meat buttie instead .... It was ok as well 😀

Funny, I just bought another copy as I couldn't find mine. Now I know where it went😉

My other half is not a Douglas Adams fan sadly, she got confused when I said I could find the other 4 books in the trilogy but not that one...

If she asks, just tell her that the answer is 42.

22 hours ago, dome said:

Excellent trilogy*

image.jpg

Just been out to fill the Nissan up and some scruffy bloke ambles across " nice old classic car mate"   thanks but shouldn't really be out in this weather.. " you got another car though ?"  yeah I've got four. "oh, you've got a new car " no the newest is 19 years old. He looks a bit confused then has a nose around looking in the windows "you use this for work then" yeah and the shopping I'm about to do. Basically I use it as an car no need for a new car. "suppose you've got an old phone too"  erm well an iphone 5 so yes. He goes off to buy his energy drink and is slurping away when I walk in to pay for my fuel.. I'm wearing my works fleece with the company name on it  "ah, you work in an mot station, that's why you've got old cars, you can get them through a test" 

11 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Just been out to fill the Nissan up and some scruffy bloke ambles across " nice old classic car mate"   thanks but shouldn't really be out in this weather.. " you got another car though ?"  yeah I've got four. "oh, you've got a new car " no the newest is 19 years old. He looks a bit confused then has a nose around looking in the windows "you use this for work then" yeah and the shopping I'm about to do. Basically I use it as an car no need for a new car. "suppose you've got an old phone too"  erm well an iphone 5 so yes. He goes off to buy his energy drink and is slurping away when I walk in to pay for my fuel.. I'm wearing my works fleece with the company name on it  "ah, you work in an mot station, that's why you've got old cars, you can get them through a test" 

Lots of people are weird. I’m glad I don’t need to interact with them.

14 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

What a top class mouth-breathing cockwomble 🤣 He's probably the sort who can't contain his throwaway thoughts so resorts to browsing Gumtree and sending messages that just waste everyone's time as well...