What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

15 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It always tastes like chewing gum. A very sharp alcoholic Ribena.

In the 80s I knew a guy who did the Beajolais run in a jowett jupiter for charity, only it blew a blizzard on one of the autoroutes, he fell off the road because he couldnt see where it was, a wheel dropped into a gully at the side of the road and he did a sort of scalextric crash into a bridge. 

Always found the new BJ a bit thin tbh...

Anyway, in town this morning (a rare, cold but dry event) one of my desires was to pay in some old £1 coins at the Natwest counter. For the first time in 4 years i did not get accosted by a YTS wannabe yuppie trainee and actually walked...straight up to the counter!

6 hours ago, reb said:

Decided on a degree and uni.

Screenshot_20221119_005543_Gmail.thumb.jpg.7f696320800ab04f8910ba4ce61296cc.jpg

Go big or go home.

I won't tell you the degree because you'll all point and laugh for doing a middle class waste of resources degree...

They rejected me the bastards!

I went  to Edinburgh instead. 

49 minutes ago, Clunk said:

They rejected me the bastards!

I went  to Edinburgh instead. 

It's just the closest one to my house.

If they went on grades they'd shred my application without reading it, while laughing manically. I'm relying on having maybe* worked for them and knowing the head of department in a roundabout way. Along with an amazing personal statement I've not written yet.

If I don't get in I just won't bother.

12 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Do they still do Botany?  My Aunt studied Botany there back in the early 80s...

Looks like they don't as a standalone degree, but you can probably do it as part of a Biology degree.

I want to do a dual honours of Social Anthro and Philosophy. Because I'm not enough of a wanker already.

Walking my dog this morning, I noticed a back yard gate open that's always been closed whenever I've walked past in the decade since moving here.  The house always looks rather decrepit.  In the back yard I spotted a selection of pushbikes and - wait for it - a Reliant Rialto estate that looks like it was laid up before I came here.

You can always find something interesting!

23 hours ago, MikeR said:

Driven past it many times , so today we called in.. 

IMG_20221118_110425642_HDR_copy_800x602.thumb.jpg.38cdb4275ff7c33eac6cb38e8c21fb37.jpgIMG_20221118_110527547_HDR_copy_800x602.thumb.jpg.5d25801e0c9794d06d070a6c73195e5d.jpgIMG_20221118_110405142_HDR_copy_602x800.thumb.jpg.daa19fd4308ffc0b04935644a2ed9849.jpgIMG_20221118_110512049_HDR_copy_800x602.thumb.jpg.7604b5a2d2cf8a8b8608372208cc0e59.jpg

Went there in the nineties when it was still working, about 2 a.m. so pretty quiet.   Was mainly interested in trying out free wifi, as a BT customer I could log in free to a lot of networks, hypothetically.

For a roadside café it was OK but the architecture was the interesting bit of course.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Went there in the nineties when it was still working, about 2 a.m. so pretty quiet.   Was mainly interested in trying out free wifi, as a BT customer I could log in free to a lot of networks, hypothetically.

For a roadside café it was OK but the architecture was the interesting bit of course.

Hardly ever stop there, stop at Tebay or Killington unless desperate. Much nicer places .

Just reading a copy of the AC owners club magazine. There's this article about this invalid carriage in it.

20221120_175229.thumb.jpg.76a65ce0c491c0a826aafb5794d23bda.jpg

The owner says he was finally spurred on to restore it after he met a lad called Dez at a show who told him it was the last of its type left. I thought "if that isn't @LightBulbFun I'll eat my hat" 😁

14 minutes ago, Matty said:

Just reading a copy of the AC owners club magazine. There's this article about this invalid carriage in it.

20221120_175229.thumb.jpg.76a65ce0c491c0a826aafb5794d23bda.jpg

The owner says he was finally spurred on to restore it after he met a lad called Dez at a show who told him it was the last of its type left. I thought "if that isn't @LightBulbFun I'll eat my hat" 😁

Hah! :mrgreen:

I have never (knowingly!) met Ted, the owner at a show, but I have indeed conversed with him quite a bit :) 

and indeed, while not quite the last of its type left, there are very few Model 67's (or Fibreglass AC Acedes as they are also known) still in existence, of all types (Mk14 Mk14A Mk15) only about 12 or so are known about, so I was very enthused to get in contact with him about his! and very pleased to see it be restored! 

and his Model 67 AC Acedes Mk15, is AFAIK the only Model 67, that I know which moves under its own power let alone roadworthy! (which I believe it also is :) )

TL;DR, I think a little bit of an artistic licence is being taken or things have gotten lost in translation! but I do believe he is indeed talking about me :) (I know he also Met Stuart Cyphus, My predecessor so to speak and good friend of mine, at the NEC a couple years back so he may be thinking of that as well)