What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, robinmasters said:

What is wrong with these people?

Does it have any special signs apart from ‘Ford’.  Given the amount of cars destroyed driving through there either people are really thick or there’s not proper signage warning it’s really deep. 

I’ve driven though plenty of fords in my time and if I just saw a sign saying ford it wouldn’t stop me trying to drive through it. 

Also the lassie in the white Mercedes is a total moron. Yes I’ll just open the roof and destroy my bonnet rather than getting my feet wet. 

Edit: been googling this myself it appears the council put up road closed signs when it gets deep but people would rather drown their cars than take the signposted four mile detour. 

1 hour ago, Garythesnail said:

How are you getting along with the Mitsubishi?

Son in law liked his (but prefers the discovery 3 he now has)

I’ve owned it since 2019 so considering how quickly I normally get bored and replace cars it’s doing well. I got it locally for £550 and I’ve been up to all sorts in it since; I’ve used and abused it off road, driven to Switzerland and back in it, dragged kit round fields at my parent’s stables, last bit of abuse was using it to ram a stranded forklift back into the factory so I could lock up and go home. These days it mostly gets used for collecting new cars and recovering other members of the fleet that FTP.

It’s obviously not as refined as a D3 as it’s basically a pick-up chassis with an estate body and coil springs on the rear, contemporary reviews say it has bad road manners but I don’t find it any worse than other 4x4’s of its time. It’s 2wd on tarmac as opposed to 4wd in the landy, so you can go sideways in the wet which is a laugh. Fit and finish in the cab is the same as most Japanese vehicles of that age - plasticky but comfortable. The main thing I like is that it always just works - the only issues I’ve had have been typical cheap 4x4 problems i.e. fuck all maintenance in the past and ragged around all the time. I’ve fixed/replaced most of the knackered parts and sorted the fluid leaks, the chassis is pretty solid so hopefully she will see me well over the coming years. It’s firmly on the ‘do not sell’ list, and if it shit the engine out tomorrow I’d be buying a new engine for it and keeping it going - ropey 4x4’s are mental money these days but I wouldn’t be without one.

On 11/11/2022 at 05:25, robinmasters said:

What is wrong with these people?

I hope that copper got a proper b*****king - the Police road traffic base is literally 2 miles away in Ollerton.

I live 10 miles away from the ford and have been through it many times but only when it's a few inches deep. I used divert on purpose to go through to entertain the kids when they were younger. Strangely now the kids are young teens "a drive through the ford" doesn't cut it anymore.

When the ford level is high they are always lots of road closed signs. If idiots choose to go through I don't want my council tax being used by my County Council to pay for gates to physically stop the pillocks. 

Plus it would stop the next episode of Rufford Ford Fails :)

Had to laugh at the ad for the app that reads information on medicines for people who either can’t read or can’t see properly. You scan the code and your phone tells you what to do.

I know it’s a serious thing really but I couldn’t help thinking of the message you’d get scanning something like Anusol or Vagisil.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:10 PM, Back_For_More said:

It's getting famous enough it'll be a clause in the insurance contract soon. 

I'm not sure if ignoring Road Closed signs gives them a get out for subsequent damage. I know there are insurance related bods on here - any idea? 

There would likely be an exclusion in a fully comp policy for first party loss caused by a deliberate and/or reckless act.  The infamy of the ford coupled with the road closed signs would tend towards recklessness imo. Some of these people are clearly grade A, first class, ocean going morons so if I was the claims adjuster I'd be relying on the exclusion but I imagine most are just paid out.

9 minutes ago, fairkens said:

There would likely be an exclusion in a fully comp policy for first party loss caused by a deliberate and/or reckless act.  The infamy of the ford coupled with the road closed signs would tend towards recklessness imo. Some of these people are clearly grade A, first class, ocean going morons so if I was the claims adjuster I'd be relying on the exclusion but I imagine most are just paid out.

Ignoring a road closed sign is an offence anyway but as plod did it in one video at least, I don’t suppose anyone gets done.

Normal car Insurance doesn’t normally pay out if your engine breaks down, so I wonder if they are paying out.

The water is an intervening factor.

It would be interesting to know whether these are classed as avoidable incidents generally. These will be a tiny proportion of claims in any one year and so (despite their reputation) I do think insurers will probably be taken in by a sob story. 

Some of the ones on video are horrendous though

Just been to have a more in depth look at my potenial new* mercedes benz. Time for some refinement in my life. 

Some locals may know thats theres a big mercedes dealer in MK. So we headed in that direction.  .  .

But to my mates work to look at this old shed  instead. 

20221113_111229.thumb.jpg.e70bfff253d527f06a1a46c4627c317a.jpg

20221113_111239.thumb.jpg.b7d61855028d1f2c99fafeda50fee0b5.jpg

Probably should get myself a bell to ring out the window. 

*it was new at some point. 

The water is receding but I got one more quiet walk in the forest, this time my mate met up with me in his new Defender. Looks huge compared to the Mitsi, and made for a nice photo once we got back to the cars:

DAEC41FB-D53B-4C68-ACEB-8E669CE2801F.thumb.jpeg.0766a2e2dc039cb69d15ce3f40e0939c.jpeg

The dogs had fun, the retriever puppy and black lab are my two, the yellow lab is his. She’s about the same age as my lab so they get on really well, and the puppy does her own thing.

3814A058-5060-4C90-ABAB-DD9620D0FDD5.thumb.jpeg.d9c24c8cb774629b9c51be9496525fdf.jpeg

230F8408-FD61-40E5-95A3-95B52F71125D.thumb.jpeg.30c4d169ad9d5931623bd6cd7caab2f3.jpeg

Not to be too gushy/wanky about it, but it’s things like this make me grateful for my lot in life.

5 hours ago, gm said:

i’m heading up to glasgow to collect a bini, thought i’d pick up a new stereo while i’m up there - messaged the guy for his address and :

CF0065FC-80F6-4C11-93A8-788E42E6EB03.jpeg.c30023341fc3e7c5a74fcd98898a698c.jpeg

one of us ? watch this space :) 

a saxo, a zx, c4 and a bx 16v !

E5AB5188-E420-4EA0-9B21-60629C60DFB4.thumb.jpeg.06026c904e623c097e4604d0fa76f66f.jpeg

shame he seems to have gone out - the house is in darkness and no one is answering the bell !