What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Tonight I was given a free cinnamon roll in IKEA for adjudicating in a dispute about the nature and origin of the Mandela Effect between two teenage employees running the hot dog stand by the exit.

1418254223_IMG_20221109_1917182.thumb.jpg.a57aacdabd46a7fa042785768922d26b.jpg

The heady mixture of unexpected free bread-based foodstuffs, plus the opportunity to publicly show off my interest in popular culture tropes, has put me on a high from which I may never fully come down. 

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Are you sure you didn't just buy the cinnamon roll?

Nope, amazingly not - I'd paid for and received a hot dog, and was just turning away when one of the guys said, "Here, I'll give you a free cinnamon roll if you can answer this - what's it called when people have different memories of the same thing in the past, like the guy on the Monopoly box with the top hat: some people say he definitely always had a monocle but doesn't now, and some say they never remember him with one - what's that called?"

When I said "The Mandela Effect", and threw out a few more examples of disputed cultural memory (Nelson Mandela prison death in the 1980s; Berenstein/ Berenstain Bears; the Shazaam movie) the other fella smiled and said "I told ya", while the first guy said, "Right, fair enough", and handed me a cinnamon roll, saying "Don't tell anyone I gave you this, alright?"

Unless, of course, the staff 'argument' was more along the lines of "I bet you that big goof in the queue is the kind of sad-act who'd know all about the Mandela Effect, and will probably talk about it animatedly and at length until you give him a cinnamon roll to make him go away."

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

But - either way I got a free cinnamon roll, and I am that tragic that it gave me a happy glow for the rest of the day.

4 hours ago, hairnet said:

Bog

A view not changed in 50 years ( apart from yon house at the bottom the lane that only been there fifteen)

IMG_20221110_134315527_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20221110-134704.png

You’re finding all the good spots. 
Around Leitrim Village and Drumshanbo is one of my favourite getaway places. Silver mines not bad at all either. 

Caught some knobhead by us fly tipping, he argued the toss and tried to deny it.  Next week our bin goes missing and it's outside this brain donor's house.

The next week our bin is back and his has been thrown into the non-recyclable skip at the council tip.

18 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Tonight I was given a free cinnamon roll in IKEA for adjudicating in a dispute about the nature and origin of the Mandela Effect between two teenage employees running the hot dog stand by the exit.

1418254223_IMG_20221109_1917182.thumb.jpg.a57aacdabd46a7fa042785768922d26b.jpg

The heady mixture of unexpected free bread-based foodstuffs, plus the opportunity to publicly show off my interest in popular culture tropes, has put me on a high from which I may never fully come down. 

Every time someone mentions cinnamon roll, I think of Gene Takovic. Reckon I need to try one pronto. 

1660738473213-yeni-proje-2022-08-17-t-151427_475.jpg.60f9396952c219c4d15c79b6545aff76.jpg

On the subject of radios, a friend gave me this at the weekend with some other stuff: FFC726DD-D908-45C6-9A06-25C67D4BD36E.thumb.jpeg.1358c8adbf0796679dfce7b9b945f5ac.jpeg

It’s the 90’s (?) repro one, so I was expecting it to sound like shite, and I was also dubious about FM reception as there is no external aerial, but it picks up stations well and actually sounds really good, including on classical stuff which is always a serious test on a cheapy radio. 

I’m counting that as a win. 

12 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Nope, amazingly not - I'd paid for and received a hot dog, and was just turning away when one of the guys said, "Here, I'll give you a free cinnamon roll if you can answer this - what's it called when people have different memories of the same thing in the past, like the guy on the Monopoly box with the top hat: some people say he definitely always had a monocle but doesn't now, and some say they never remember him with one - what's that called?"

When I said "The Mandela Effect", and threw out a few more examples of disputed cultural memory (Nelson Mandela prison death in the 1980s; Berenstein/ Berenstain Bears; the Shazaam movie) the other fella smiled and said "I told ya", while the first guy said, "Right, fair enough", and handed me a cinnamon roll, saying "Don't tell anyone I gave you this, alright?"

Unless, of course, the staff 'argument' was more along the lines of "I bet you that big goof in the queue is the kind of sad-act who'd know all about the Mandela Effect, and will probably talk about it animatedly and at length until you give him a cinnamon roll to make him go away."

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

But - either way I got a free cinnamon roll, and I am that tragic that it gave me a happy glow for the rest of the day.

The exact same thing happened to me once in that Ikea.   I'm sure of it.