What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Drove down to aldershot this morning in torrential rain to go for a walk. Did 10km in two hours and the only other person I saw to say hello to was an old guy in an early willys jeep who slowed down to a crawl when he saw me looking . Ā TooĀ wet to take a photo though.

walked past the hogs back brewery too, but being 8.30 on a Sunday morning it was understandably closed.

641E15A7-20EC-45FB-A2D0-9AEC209DD55D.png

24 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

All brƻlƩe is diy. I have a blowtorch appropriated for these.

nope not the cheapo ones in tesco

also am travelling - wold be arrested if found carrying blow torch ask that gadge in kent from the other day

also magnum ice cream do a ice cream with a choc hard top

if they can do it this lot can brulee their brulee

I was talking to a guy yesterday who told me about this lad they had for interview for a jobĀ 

He was 90% there before the interview because his dad worked thereĀ 

One of the questions asked was, what's something you've done that's made you proudĀ 

NothingĀ 

Nothing, you're 19 and you've never done anythingĀ  that's made you proudĀ 

NoĀ 

OK, well what interests have you got

I like rugbyĀ 

Right, there we go, union or league

League

So have you played in a match and scored a try that made you proudĀ 

I don't play, I just watch, I'm far too lazy to playĀ 

He didn't get the jobĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

On the subject of useless new employees....

I worked in a warehouse for a bit. One day a new intake came in; they expect you provide your own safety boots and hi-viz vest-bring those, the job is yours.Ā 

One lad had no hi-viz. Even that didn't disqualify him, the manager taking them round gave him one, and told him he'd need to wear it. Lad took off his hoodie, put on hi-viz, then put his hoodie back on. Over the hi-viz.Ā 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, beko1987 said:

Same at sainsburys back in my yoof. Always the same slow old people waiting at the door 20 minutes before opening on a Sunday. To buy a paper usually...Ā 

That takes me straight back to the mid 90s. One of my student summer jobs was working in an Iceland store which was at the back of a large Littlewoods store. Unusally, it wasn't separated as such - no wall in between - you could just step through from one to the other.Ā 

I regularly had old dears plonking their oversized underwear on the conveyor belt if I was working tills at the time. It did become a little onerous having to loudly explain that we sold frozen food, not beige underwear...

What makes me grin? @Yoss's Routemaster blind from here thats what!

https://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite/page/155/?tab=comments#comment-2640932

as a Routemaster enthusiast, It makes me grin so much the execution of it is perfect, I love not only the main "destination" text, but the little "drunk driver" subtext, is perfect!

and I love that even the font is perfect!

I have seen so many Routemasters in genuine stage carry service or some sort of outing,Ā withĀ blinds that have the wrong font which always bugs the crap out of me (in the same way that the wrong font/type of number plate does)

so to see a gag blind where even the font is spot on is just great :)Ā 

Ā 

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

What makes me grin? @Yoss's Routemaster blind from here thats what!

https://autoshite.com/topic/10183-bus-shite/page/155/?tab=comments#comment-2640932

as a Routemaster enthusiast, It makes me grin so much the execution of it is perfect, I love not only the main "destination" text, but the little "drunk driver" subtext, is perfect!

and I love that even the font is perfect!

I have seen so many Routemasters in genuine stage carry service or some sort of outing,Ā withĀ blinds that have the wrong font which always bugs the crap out of me (in the same way that the wrong font/type of number plate does)

so to see a gag blind where even the font is spot on is just great :)Ā 

Ā 

Glad you appreciated it. There's a lot of work went in to those blinds. I would have to go through my stash of blinds looking for the required letters, then draw round them, normal writing paper was fine for this, the black and white showed through easily. Then I would cut the letters out, find a destination that I was never likely to use, or had multiples of then draw round the cut out letters with black marker then paint them in with Humbrol paints. But of course you need black and white paint because you are laying the letters over another destination. If you looked close you could see they were hand made but from far enough back to take a picture they look fine. And like you I was a stickler for detail. They had to look right.Ā 

Then of course you can't just look for any letters. Whilst they are all Johnston typeface, they come in different sizes depending on how long the destination is. If I can repeat this picture...Ā 

IMG_20221106_135531.thumb.jpg.5202a332e42200c76e4c2a54e500a9e0.jpg

... you can see the Norwood Garage uses smaller letters than the Swanage. They are the same height but narrower. Incedentally the Swanage is one of mine too, I did it for a trip to the railway. There were actually four different sizes of letters for the NN blind (final destination) so it could take a while to find all the right letters. After a while I built up quite a collection of stencils and so wouldn't have to cut them out every time.Ā 

If I can just post this picture again,Ā 

IMG_20221022_111919.thumb.jpg.62b6081430aac5c412cc32dcb2cc313f.jpg

I even did the intermediate blind for this trip to Hastings. Those are really fiddly. Those are intermediate stations on the Tonbridge Hastings line and the 22 is the Southern Region route code for Charing Cross to Hastings but that's a normal LT number blind, I didn't have to paint that one.Ā 

I had a lot more time on my hands in those days.Ā