What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

12 hours ago, hairnet said:

yesterday now

? Oh, I see what you mean. Yup, binoculars, notebooks in n/s glovebox plus other stuff. Loved the muppet who said it should be in white! Made good money too, bought by a scrap dealer who has 30-odd cars in total, 5 parked inside his house. No wife though...

Also brief glimpse of a gorgeous Mk1 Accord in metallic bronze at around 36 minutes.

I've been out today to a classical-music concert.  One of @Dobloseven's offspring now lives up here with his OH and they are both classical musicians, so they have started offering free concerts in a town centre church.  The pieces they played today were pieces I didn't know, but it was a pleasure to watch (and hear!) them work.  Cello and piano in perfect harmony.  90 minutes very well spent!

It's a miserable wet Sunday and the rest of the family are still in bed*, so an ideal morning to sit down with a cup of tea and catch up on another episode of "Public Eye". Although screened on TPTV back in the summer it's taken me a while to get through the rest of the series and this is one I was particularly keen to see.

*Their own beds, we don't share one big bed.

1967 Oldsmobile (Public Eye, 1971)

It was the final episode of the 1971 series and this Oldmsobile appears in several scenes. Our hero Frank Marker even reads out its plate when he does a slightly dodgy trace of its owner.

The Oldsmobile is significant to me because quite by chance I'd scanned this photo from a 1976 issue of What Car? magazine:

Crashed American cars, What Car? 1/76

Someone on Flickr recognised it and put me onto Public Eye, which I've then enjoyed watching in its own right. It's an excellent series, well worth watching even if just for the wonderful period detail.

Sad to see the Oldsmobile ended up like this - wonder what sort of a mess it made of whatever it hit.....

This episode also has some great footage of a Guy Salmon dealership, which is going to send me down another rabbithole of hunting through old magazines to find where it was - given the Aston Martin and Jensens on display I'm hoping they will have an ad in one of the big magazines of the day.

Edit: My Flickr friend tells me it was Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton, strangely not especially local to Windsor and Eton where the series was set and a reasonable amount of location filming took place.

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

It's a miserable wet Sunday and the rest of the family are still in bed*, so an ideal morning to sit down with a cup of tea and catch up on another episode of "Public Eye". Although screened on TPTV back in the summer it's taken me a while to get through the rest of the series and this is one I was particularly keen to see.

*Their own beds, we don't share one big bed.

1967 Oldsmobile (Public Eye, 1971)

It was the final episode of the 1971 series and this Oldmsobile appears in several scenes. Our hero Frank Marker even reads out its plate when he does a slightly dodgy trace of its owner.

The Oldsmobile is significant to me because quite by chance I'd scanned this photo from a 1976 issue of What Car? magazine:

Crashed American cars, What Car? 1/76

Someone on Flickr recognised it and put me onto Public Eye, which I've then enjoyed watching in its own right. It's an excellent series, well worth watching even if just for the wonderful period detail.

Sad to see the Oldsmobile ended up like this - wonder what sort of a mess it made of whatever it hit.....

This episode also has some great footage of a Guy Salmon dealership, which is going to send me down another rabbithole of hunting through old magazines to find where it was - given the Aston Martin and Jensens on display I'm hoping they will have an ad in one of the big magazines of the day.

Edit: My Flickr friend tells me it was Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton, strangely not especially local to Windsor and Eton where the series was set and a reasonable amount of location filming took place.

Public Eye was excellent. One of those grim down to earth offerings that show so much about how real life was. No glamour just a bloke scratching a living not reallybenjoying what he does..very late 60s early 70s but well written & well acted. Also superb for passing chod.