What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Found a sky box dumped in the lobby of the mrs's block of flats. Worth a punt taking it, can always bring it back if it doesn't work. Appears to be working perfectly, which is handy 'cos Ma's is sort of flaking so can swap to confirm what's faulty now. HD is full of "law & order".

12 minutes ago, omegod said:

I wouldn't fancy cranking that fucker !

I wouldn't either. It is incredible to think that in the beginning people started the trucks in this way and before that they had to shovel a full load of stone in the back by hand which also had to be shoveled off by hand. Or load 50 kg bags on and off without mechanical aids. And people are complaining nowadays.

11 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Electric starters were not a common thing for lorries when this was built

And even if they were equipped with it, one probably had to use the starting handle every now and then.

But I can't imagine the struggle of getting a truck like this started in the Norwegian winter with a starting handle. You probably wanted to blow up/shoot the bastard after a while and especially if you had broken your arm or wrist while trying.

1 minute ago, Datsuncog said:

One of the fingers of my lunchtime off-brand KitKat didn't contain any wafer, just solid chocolate all the way through.

575174816_IMG_20221012_1310332.thumb.jpg.eae1a5bb437b0f635c206a743c652d2c.jpg

I don't know why that feels like a win, but it does somehow.

This happened to me with a real-deal kitkat when I was in middle school, so sometime in the mid 90s and I still vividly recall the event, surroundings, smell, everything. Treasure this memory, every time I eat a kitkat (which is more often that I probabaly ought to...) I secretly say to myself "maybe this will be the one..."

It is a sign from the shady quango 'The Biscuit Consortium' that you have been deemed worthy and are marked for future greatness. 

I usually hate working on older (well, 90s) cars because of how they have electronic systems without universal diagnostic capabilities

Well I've had an old V90 in with an ABS light, neither the snap on or autel scanner would interrogate the ABS system. In fact snap on wouldn't talk to anything Volvo before 2000. 

Instead of throwing my hands up and giving up because a computer couldn't tell me what was wrong I thought I'd go back to the basics

It's a very simple ABS system so found a wiring diagram online from a Volvo service manual.

Checked every connection and found that one of the sensors had 1,000,000 ohms of resistance compared to the others which were 1,000 ohms, that might pose an issue!

Plugged a new sensor in and bingo, ABS light gone

So that's that. Massive grin because it's a successful fix by using a bit of brain work :)

4 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I usually hate working on older (well, 90s) cars because of how they have electronic systems without universal diagnostic capabilities

Well I've had an old V90 in with an ABS light, neither the snap on or autel scanner would interrogate the ABS system. In fact snap on wouldn't talk to anything Volvo before 2000. 

Instead of throwing my hands up and giving up because a computer couldn't tell me what was wrong I thought I'd go back to the basics

It's a very simple ABS system so found a wiring diagram online from a Volvo service manual.

Checked every connection and found that one of the sensors had 1,000,000 ohms of resistance compared to the others which were 1,000 ohms, that might pose an issue!

So that's that. Massive grin because it's a successful fix by using a bit of brain work :)

I recall doing something similar on a xantia back when I didn't know what a scanner was, I think the abs connector was in the engine bay , I felt like an F1 mechanic :)  

#

I don’t think he will, but it’s a start. Largest personal damages cost in history?

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has been ordered to pay $965m (£869m) in damages after falsely claiming the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax.

The families of eight victims, and an FBI agent who responded to the attack, had sought at least $550m in the defamation trial in Connecticut.

They alleged the right-wing radio host's misinformation led to a decade's worth of harassment and death threats.

Twenty children and six adults were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Jones, who founded the conspiracy-laden Infowars website and talk show, argued for years that the massacre was a "staged" government plot to take guns from Americans and that "no one died".

He now acknowledges the attack was "100% real", a concession he made in August at a separate defamation trial in Texas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63237092

36 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I don’t think he will, but it’s a start. Largest personal damages cost in history?

Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has been ordered to pay $965m (£869m) in damages after falsely claiming the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax.

The families of eight victims, and an FBI agent who responded to the attack, had sought at least $550m in the defamation trial in Connecticut.

They alleged the right-wing radio host's misinformation led to a decade's worth of harassment and death threats.

Twenty children and six adults were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Jones, who founded the conspiracy-laden Infowars website and talk show, argued for years that the massacre was a "staged" government plot to take guns from Americans and that "no one died".

He now acknowledges the attack was "100% real", a concession he made in August at a separate defamation trial in Texas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63237092

America, you can put that figure in the same box as a 900 year prison sentence, never going to happen 

7 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fair play, hats off to you. That’s pretty much exactly how my local garage identified the Senator ABS problem. Problem was finding a replacement sensor. Only took a year to discover early Astra ones work but all sorted now.