What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, PhilA said:

That's a good plan.

Travel for vacation only as far as you're willing to walk back home.

I did see a plan to extent EV range by basically towing a trailer full of batteries. So weeks of the year your 250 mile range is plenty , but for holidays et you could double the range with this. Could easily be extended to caravans. Pricey though unless you could hire them for two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

I did see a plan to extent EV range by basically towing a trailer full of batteries. So weeks of the year your 250 mile range is plenty , but for holidays et you could double the range with this. Could easily be extended to caravans. Pricey though unless you could hire them for two weeks.

What you need is a trailer for the trailer, containing an emergency backup diesel generator.

The wife has actually decided on her next car!

After looking at Tourag V10,Nissan Murano V6 and a Saab 95 soft top (!),she's finally settled on a Legacy 3.0 in auto flavour.

Fitted with lpg to help with the running costs which is still around 45ppl despite the increases,it has all the toys to keep her happy. 

It has the tiniest amount of rust creeping into the rear doors bottom but easily remedied. 

Collect from the local Kat office (dvla local) next week all registered and insured.

Seller had a few interesting projects kicking around too

FB_IMG_1662134273322.jpg

FB_IMG_1662134302930.jpg

20220902_162809.jpg

23 minutes ago, andy18s said:

After looking at Tourag V10,Nissan Murano V6 and a Saab 95 soft top (!),she's finally settled on a Legacy 3.0 in auto flavour.

Fitted with lpg to help with the running costs which is still around 45ppl despite the increases,it has all the toys to keep her happy. 

It has the tiniest amount of rust creeping into the rear doors bottom but easily remedied. 

Collect from the local Kat office (dvla local) next week all registered and insured.

FB_IMG_1662134273322.jpg

FB_IMG_1662134302930.jpg

20220902_162809.jpg

45ppl for lpg ????   Where are you getting it at that price ?

madman who lives in the outer hebrides

kia ev6 with caravan (1500 kg) was going to germany for a caravan show

got so far and swapped to a 1000 kg caravan

he was having to stop every 80 miles with the bigger caravan and the smaller van only added 15 miles to the range (!) (how much do they do not towing 175? 200?)

took him 3 days to get to dover

edit i watched the rest of the video - he was getting the ferry from harwich but dropped his dog off in dover first (!)

he did 632 miles and used 60 quids worth of juice - he got 75 miles one charge but doing 52 ish with the trucks from hook to dussel he got 122 miles with 25% left 

still madness

On 9/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, andy18s said:

FB_IMG_1662134273322.jpg

FB_IMG_1662134302930.jpg

20220902_162809.jpg

Wow your wife has an interesting taste in cars, i bet you were shitting yourself about a couple of the choices 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Nyphur said:

All the comments informing her she'd removed something structural and there's one advising her to "brace it with some wood to try to regain some strength"

Every single pop top van on the road has every one of those cross braces lopped out, front to back, with nothing in the way of structure added back. I used to hate fitting them. 

A friend of mine who works next-door-but-one is running about in his beautifully original Scirocco for a couple of days and it was parked next to my Syncro when I got in to work this morning.

151124802_2022-09-0416_54_54.thumb.jpg.78671861707ea8c1646c30c76dd7dedb.jpg

Square headlight 80s VWs are ageing nicely, seeing them next to each other always pleases me hugely. Makes my T6 look absolutely gopping TBH

Aye they're mk1 golf underneath so 

9 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Lad down my parents street has a couple of those Scirocco's. I really like the look of them, but a couple of VW bothering mates reckon they're getting tricky to get parts for now, and they they aren't that great to drive even by the standards of their contemporaries? Is this true or bollocks to put me off?

they're mk1 golf mostly, so I wouldn't imagine they're dynamically all that great compared to stuff of a similar age. Ash who owns it isn't a mega petrolhead but he went from a (rotten) NA MX5 to buy this and he enjoys driving this just as much, so I suppose they are what you make of them.

46 minutes ago, Wack said:

Is the syncro full of bricks,  it looks like an extra from disney's cars ,ready to start the race 

haha, it's got nearly three stillages of hardwood offcut lumps in the back, so probably well over a tonne even before they got soaked in the rain for the last couple of days.

I ran out of real coffee today, so I made an emergency run to Asda lest I have to drink the cheap nasty instant I keep just in case.

I took the back road, on the way there I was taking it easy to let the car warm up, on the way back I had no such worries.

For a 26 year old diesel Volvo I got for £950 it fucking flies. I think I've got it pretty well figured out handling wise too, despite perhaps "going for it" through some tight bends a bit more than is advisable it never felt like I didn't have complete control.

The only bad thing to happen was a large puddle that revealed how filthy the windscreen is despite cleaning it just two weeks and fuck all miles ago.

6 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Would love to have a look but like fk am I signing up to tikfkintok again ... Is it gonna be another one of those 15 seconds of waste of life shit

There's a section for a roof light to be fitted in a van only she doesn't want it there so she cuts a roof spar out , cuts the hole while crawling over the roof denting it then complains it leaks.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, camryv6 said:

Wow your wife has an interesting taste in cars, i bet you were shitting yourself about a couple of the choices 🤦‍♂️

The tourag went like a stabbed rat but felt very heavy and planted on the road,plus the fear of anything needing work involved dropping the engine..  

The Murano ticked a lot of boxes but the cvt gearbox meant it just drone away sat at a fairly constant rev.

The Saab was tried as she has had 1 in the past, but having the wind in her hair would ends up being too painful  with her fibromyalgia.

The Legacy wins with us having a few Scoobies in the past and a 3ltre should be quick enough..

6 hours ago, andy18s said:

The Murano ticked a lot of boxes but the cvt gearbox meant it just drone away sat at a fairly constant rev.

Those CVT gearboxes have a pretty shit reputation too.  Also those things are shite on fuel - I know petrol is cheaper in Bulgaria but still.

Tuesday night bodgery.

Is it just me that suffers with flat tyres on their welder ?

These cheap tubed cart wheels off eBay only last 18 months before they perish and deflate so this time I spent an extra couple of pounds and bought a pair of solid wheels instead.

IMG20220905183825.thumb.jpg.acb058d86ccc8e4f1258529a9fdc8e8d.jpg

IMG20220905183751.thumb.jpg.a62fe224f4933aa518d0b12534cc2515.jpg

Nice colour too.

Obviously I bought the ones for a 16mm axle when I needed 19mm ones so had to fanny about attaching a smaller shaft to make them fit.

IMG20220906194548.thumb.jpg.bda42717b7930221416abfeb3a60fe8d.jpg

IMG20220906195006.thumb.jpg.bfc13b7b111de5eeb3b0070caf4e9598.jpg

IMG20220906200045.thumb.jpg.91c6b7b8d7f64f90e1fda5dde2191682.jpg

IMG20220906200053.thumb.jpg.f2417cffd290fd72ee43c642364cf136.jpg

I couldn't find a sharp drill bit to secure them with split pins so used a couple of jubilee clips.