What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, hairnet said:

Just heard on the radio that certain places are introducing a hosepipe ban

IN TWO WEEKS

what the fuck good is that

I know, I rushed out earlier and thank goodness there were still some left in the shops, so I bought four.

Spent the last 2 days trundling around the French countryside to take a friend to look at replacement cars. Her current temporary car is a UK registered Ford Kuga and the starter failed in Lemans the other day so I had to go and tow start it for her. WOW - prices of secondhand cars here are mad. Yesterday looked at a 1.4 MPI Dacia. Dented, no air con, 2009 4500euro. Today, looked at a tidy 2008 Cashcow with 232k km. 6k euro. Star of the show, same garage had a 2005 Renault Modus Diseasal with a new engine. Tidy, but 6500 euros!

Why the grin? Basically there are 3 reasons.

1. I don't have to buy in this market.

2. When tow starting the Kuga, whilst attaching the rope to my 9-3 'vert Saab that I have owned coming up to a year, I discovered it has a tow bar, something I really wanted. Just need to buy the detachable bit.

3. The biggest reason for the grin? Enjoying good condition roads, with no traffic in a convertible, top down in 38c temperatures, with the aircon blowing cold air on my feet and face. Heaven.

8 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Spent the last 2 days trundling around the French countryside to take a friend to look at replacement cars. Her current temporary car is a UK registered Ford Kuga and the starter failed in Lemans the other day so I had to go and tow start it for her. WOW - prices of secondhand cars here are mad. Yesterday looked at a 1.4 MPI Dacia. Dented, no air con, 2009 4500euro. Today, looked at a tidy 2008 Cashcow with 232k km. 6k euro. Star of the show, same garage had a 2005 Renault Modus Diseasal with a new engine. Tidy, but 6500 euros!

I stopped at a used car place in Caussade yesterday as they had a tidy older Mercedes S-Class lined-up with the modern bilge (and a Hyundai Sonata!).

My eye was caught by a 2003 406, apparently a 1.7 petrol Comfort Pack with just under 100k kms on the clock. Admittedly quite tidy-looking, it was up for 4,490 Euros.

Got myself a drone as recommended by retroshite. It takes superb, high quality photos and videos although the quality may not show on the forum.

I got the extended flight version which came with three Lipo batteries giving half an hours flight time each.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1178034

It only weighs 249 grams meaning you don't need a license to fly it.

It connects to your smart phone where you can see whatever the drone sees. 

Max height of 1km and a range of about 4km. It also uses google maps to chart it's progress so if it loses signal it'll return to where it took off from.

DJI_0032.JPG

DJI_0040.JPG

DJI_0042.JPG

DJI_0043.JPG

DJI_0053.JPG

DJI_0059.JPG

DJI_0066.JPG

DJI_0070.JPG

DJI_0074.JPG

DJI_0079.JPG

DJI_0080.JPG

DJI_0049.JPG

14 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Why the grin? Basically there are 3 reasons.

1. I don't have to buy in this market.

2. When tow starting the Kuga, whilst attaching the rope to my 9-3 'vert Saab that I have owned coming up to a year, I discovered it has a tow bar, something I really wanted. Just need to buy the detachable bit.

3. The biggest reason for the grin? Enjoying good condition roads, with no traffic in a convertible, top down in 38c temperatures, with the aircon blowing cold air on my feet and face. Heaven.

The UK has always had a low cost s/h car market. We in Europe have to suffer higher prices and costs for transferring ownership. These obviously do vary between contries.

A word of caution . A person who is registered as living in any EU country cannot run a car registered in another Country. https://expatriates.stackexchange.com/questions/22528/british-french-resident-cds-wa-uk-driving-licence-limits-driving-uk-regn-car

Then there is issues with insurance etc.  https://www.insurance.fr/car-insurance-english-expats-france

I also think that tow ropes are not allowed to be used in France. So I hope you used a rigid bar or A frame. They both have to be of an approved design.

Thanks, we are aware of the restrictions. Bought a French registered 500L this morning, 2014, 84k km and 7900 euros plus 250 euros registration fees. That solves all the problems, car is from a dealer and will be ready in a week or so. The tow rope was used to tow start it, about 50m in a supermarket car park!

4 hours ago, paulplom said:

Got myself a drone as recommended by retroshite. It takes superb, high quality photos and videos although the quality may not show on the forum.

I got the extended flight version which came with three Lipo batteries giving half an hours flight time each.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1178034

It only weighs 249 grams meaning you don't need a license to fly it.

It connects to your smart phone where you can see whatever the drone sees. 

Max height of 1km and a range of about 4km. It also uses google maps to chart it's progress so if it loses signal it'll return to where it took off from.

You don't need a license but I think you need to register and pass a (simple) online test to fly outside, even for a sub 250g drone. And have your number marked on the drone.

8 hours ago, nomiST said:

You don't need a license but I think you need to register and pass a (simple) online test to fly outside, even for a sub 250g drone. And have your number marked on the drone.

You also can’t fly within 500m of an airfield- something our car transport neighbours ignore.

10 hours ago, beko1987 said:

At-least-I-got-to-buy-a-new-tool.thumb.jpg.243d866f5f73ed3aacd4feae3fd73525.jpg

A few years ago I had a campsite booked, a pub meal booked, monday booked off work and was all set for a couple of nights away in the camper and a nice hike all day. I was really looking forward to it.

Sunday lunch time, just before I set off I decided to take the back wheel off the Talbot for one reason or another. It was something inconsequential. 

The wheel was stuck onto the drum a bit, so I gave it a boot and it came off, taking the drum with it. When the drum came off, it pulled the shoes off the backplate and the fixing springs and clips all shot off across the carpark and one of the pistons on the wheel cylinder popped out, rolled across the floor and all the brake fluid just started pouring out of the hole. 

I just sat there, shaking my head watching it drain onto the floor for about ten minutes in silence. 

9 minutes ago, cobblers said:

A few years ago I had a campsite booked, a pub meal booked, monday booked off work and was all set for a couple of nights away in the camper and a nice hike all day. I was really looking forward to it.

Sunday lunch time, just before I set off I decided to take the back wheel off the Talbot for one reason or another. It was something inconsequential. 

The wheel was stuck onto the drum a bit, so I gave it a boot and it came off, taking the drum with it. When the drum came off, it pulled the shoes off the backplate and the fixing springs and clips all shot off across the carpark and one of the pistons on the wheel cylinder popped out, rolled across the floor and all the brake fluid just started pouring out of the hole. 

I just sat there, shaking my head watching it drain onto the floor for about ten minutes in silence. 

We have a family spare car and without fail something show stopping fails. 

Last one holiday booked, clutch pedal drops to floor night before-no problem take the spare and we will fix it later. 

Spare parked in morning and after work family member gets into it- no clutch pedal- fluid from concentric slave. 

Two clutch jobs later on same model car in 2 weeks FFS. 

60 and 80 k on 2010 vehicles- both broke. 

Oh and an actual grin. Kipped up on't hills last night. Bought myself a bivvy bag and a lightweight sleeping bag and head off up there for the warm night, "supermoon" and the meteor showers.

Well pleased with myself that I managed to get all my gear (and beer) into my 30 litre backpack.

Less pleased when I got out there to find I'd forgotten to take my sleeping bag.

Amazing views sleeping under the stars - Saw more shooting stars last night than I have in my life, and the moon was unreal.

305698416_2022-08-1321_17_53.thumb.jpg.6d83d2edd5f7f7ad756c63e0c2d4c35b.jpg

42053230_2022-08-1321_47_40.thumb.jpg.1ca4f67393462e96229a48ed2c85f559.jpg

"luxury"

1326639880_2022-08-1323_06_14.thumb.jpg.546786ca320dfdb773352b730a6be355.jpg

Considering my shelter was a glorified bin liner and I'd forgot my sleeping bag, I had a really good kip and slept til about 7AM when a load of deer trampled past. 100% recommended