What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Princess seat base repair a success and, surprisingly, more comfortable.  Hopefully that'll last.

Also managed to get one of the trio of local foxes on film.  We don't encourage them, feed them, or leave our bins accessible so they just use the garden as a chill zone and the drive as somewhere to scream at each other at Shit O'Clock.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:27 PM, Remspoor said:

Keep us up date. I do hope you manage to get some help.

If not rodding kits are available at all good DIY stores/on line.😧

Well my dam held up so didn’t flood the garage again and after another five days or so the council came out with the rods and unblocked it. I’ve cleaned up all the mess left behind and disinfectanted the living actual shit out of my garage and the communal area where kids play and I often lay on back front and side fixing broken motor conveyances.  It now smells a heap better rather than a steaming heap.

Also to make me smile a friendly scrap man tool away the Megane garden ornament today which was looking a right eyesore with its flat tyres and tree juiced paint work. The money from this and running in my scrap has given me a living wage which has meant the week I’ve taken off to sort the kids and run the flat whilst the missis has covid has paid too. To top it off the r1100gs is much nearer its euro trip readiness with brand new secondhand shaft fitted from the spare rt1100 and shod with actual brand new knobblies that have been kicking about down the side of my bed for the best part of a year whilst I pump up the cracked front and bald rear due to slow punctures. 
To top it off with the soiled crap I threw out the garage I’ve managed to squeeze the r6 shit peice in there too despite having to rehome all the useful crap from the aforementioned megane shed. Winning.

Look what the postie brought me today.

20220708_145839.thumb.jpg.ed88169fddd40394816c53cf59f7123f.jpg

20220708_145819.thumb.jpg.249eff91f6006ec6c06199d1e629e637.jpg

I was actually quite impressed with how efficient the whole process was.  Sent the paperwork off probably end of April, a few weeks later it came back with a covering letter explaining that they couldn't process it as I hadn't done a NOVA declaration, and a return envelope addressed to the specific DVLA employee handling the application.

Sent off the partially completed NOVA form and covering letter explaining why I couldn't fill in the rest, which took them about three weeks to turn around, which was fair enough as there was the Jubilee weekend in the middle.  Once I got the email to say the NOVA was done I posted the docs back to DVLA.  On Tuesday of this week I got a call from a very pleasant and efficient chap called Anthony in Swansea who said that the application was done and I just needed to pay (I'd enclosed a cheque with the original application but that had obviously gone AWOL at some point).  He gave me a number for a payment line to call, which got answered after three rings and the payment went straight through.  Three days later the V5C turns up.  @hairnet they obviously just don't like you...

The bike is now insured (for the princely sum of £57 a year) and tomorrow I'll be buying it a number plate.  Then I can use it on the road legally for the first time in almost 25 years.

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Those were the better ones tho. Recently put a new hard drive in my Granny's one.

Interestingly I had one briefly and it was a pile of shit, always freezing so I convinced them to send me a shiny (well, that matte black colour) new one, their first HD model.

Those were the days, paying £40 a month for the privilege* of recording crap satellite TV 🙄

Don't ask how I managed to identify the box from the pause icon! 

(That very icon burned into my state of the art Samsung plasma telly I had at the time. Wasn't impressed. And no, before anyone says, it wasn't from being up during the early hours on the 9xx channels 😆

1 hour ago, Metal Guru said:

Which will be the first time someone with full beam comes up behind him and burns his retinas out.

We used to do that back in the 80s being bad ass bikers on our 125s.

Either that, or grab their whippy aerials, slow down a bit and then let go, so it flies forwards and twats them on the back of the head., :D

As ever, the members of VW camper facebook groups continue to amuse and terrify me with how little they know about their vehicles. Last week a bloke was asking whether he should buy copper brake pipe instead of flexys (it was cheaper) and today we get a woman with an air cooled van genuinely asking where she tops it up with antifreeze:

image.png.67569f7dd89ce2cf1f39a139991694b4.png

Just now, cobblers said:

As ever, the members of VW camper facebook groups continue to amuse and terrify me with how little they know about their vehicles. Last week a bloke was asking whether he should buy copper brake pipe instead of flexys (it was cheaper) and today we get a woman with an air cooled van genuinely asking where she tops it up with antifreeze:

I can understand making these mistakes when they were new and you were just buying "an van", but you'd think anyone who owns them now is into them enough to get that! 

That said, I guess a lot of people just own them because they want the retro camper lifestyle rather than liking vehicles 

I drove a bay window vw van in the late 70s early 80s , 80 mile round trip every day, it was awful then , you couldn't pay me enough to drive one now , I've no idea why anyone would want one , I had a calor gas bottle in the front with a heater on it trying to keep warm in the winter 

A bit like this 

1387326796_Screenshot_20220709-201418_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5af6c45c019c8aab2be11ba23aa9a1e0.jpg

It was the 70s though , all sorts of shit like that went on 

IMAG6424.thumb.jpg.9b2a7b5d76aea00df66288bb8ddf77a3.jpg

I have learned things with this paint.  Primarily, thinning it causes problems so it's best not to do that.  Secondly, it dries too fast to apply over large areas with a brush, you have no time to dress it out before it's already starting to dry.  Thirdly, it seems formulated to work best with mini gloss rollers, which suits me fine because that makes application fast and tidy.  All in all, that means the cheapest way of doing this job is actually the best.  What I also learned today is that you should use the foam rollers not the fluffy rollers because the fluffy rollers shed little bits into the wet paint and then you can't get them out so I've got to flat the bonnet down again and probably give it another coat of paint to deal with that, and that's going to have to wait a week or two for the fresh paint to be hard enough that it doesn't clog the sandpaper when I do that.  I really want this done this year, it's just been hard to find the time to get it sorted.

6 hours ago, cobblers said:

Antifreeze ...in the summer?:D