What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, motorpunk said:

Spent an enjoyable afternoon on the couch yesterday watching this. Mansell was on top form and the shootout was ace. Loved the Dakar Toyota too and that crazy Travis Pastrama Family Huckster😁

ccaacc018a54527f94d97809b45bf76e.jpeg

@Rustybullethole sorry to hear about the problems with your drains, hope you manage to get them sorted soon.  I can only echo what @Remspoor said in his post above. Confined spaces like that are dangerous, 80% of fatalities in such environments are due to toxic gases, fumes and vapours or lack of oxygen - you won't be aware anything's wrong with out proper detection instruments - losing consciousness and drowning in sewage is a god awful way to go.

If you feel ill in the next few days, especially flu like symptoms - shivers, aches, fever - do get yourself medically checked out as you could have contracted weil's disease.

All this no doubt seems rather alarmist but my thinking is probably coloured by the fact part of my job is rescuing people from confined spaces when things go wrong.

Thanks for the words of advise chaps all duly noted. Luckily the council came on a emergency call out last night and knew which drain was blocked as they “couldn’t clear it last time” sadly they didn’t have the gear to fix it with them despite prior knowledge as to the problem though said they’d be back today to sort it and leave me some disinfectant to clean my garage up, how kind. Came to find they hadn’t been and had to clean out sewage from garage again. Am on the emergency list again and they’ll be here with the gear to fix it in two hours. Three hours ago. I’m a self employed builder. I would have no work if I was this shit. 
For the record I took one look down that man hole and thought fuck that, it’s in raised ground so gonna be deep. It was the storm drain by the garage I was armpit deep in though fisting my manhole just sounds more classy I felt. Washed up well serval times, shall keep tabs on how I feel. Just joined Twitter think I might contact the council through there instead and link in environmental health and local newspapers. 
on the plus side I’ve found my missing axle stand and binned enough stuff from the garage I can walk in it now. 

22 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Thanks for the words of advise chaps all duly noted. Luckily the council came on a emergency call out last night and knew which drain was blocked as they “couldn’t clear it last time” sadly they didn’t have the gear to fix it with them despite prior knowledge as to the problem though said they’d be back today to sort it and leave me some disinfectant to clean my garage up, how kind. Came to find they hadn’t been and had to clean out sewage from garage again. Am on the emergency list again and they’ll be here with the gear to fix it in two hours. Three hours ago. I’m a self employed builder. I would have no work if I was this shit. 
For the record I took one look down that man hole and thought fuck that, it’s in raised ground so gonna be deep. It was the storm drain by the garage I was armpit deep in though fisting my manhole just sounds more classy I felt. Washed up well serval times, shall keep tabs on how I feel. Just joined Twitter think I might contact the council through there instead and link in environmental health and local newspapers. 
on the plus side I’ve found my missing axle stand and binned enough stuff from the garage I can walk in it now. 

I am sorry I sounded like I was lecturing you. In a previous life I was a water engineer. Worked on clean and dirty water. It was drilled into me the dangers of entering a manhole without testing for gases.  That is any access be it for sewage or even something seemingly harmless like a post office pit. Gasses can can build up-

The council not coming out is always been an issue . I expect they will now say delays are even longer due to Covid. I would also suggest you find the local councillor . Sometimes they can be active and work for the public interest. 

Keep us up date. I do hope you manage to get some help.

If not rodding kits are available at all good DIY stores/on line.😧

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

Noticed yesterday that my local Morrisons are restricting veg oil sales to 10l per customer.  I wonder why that is?

People using it for heating oil ? 

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

recieved a letter today from HMRC

oh god i thought, what have i done

oh wait, i've paid too much tax

they're giving me £470

i like letters like that

I got one of those years ago with a cheque for 80p , not surprisingly I don't think they refund small amounts any more.

28 minutes ago, Wack said:

I got one of those years ago with a cheque for 80p , not surprisingly I don't think they refund small amounts any more.

It makes you wonder if it’s even worth it?

I did this online, I reckon I’ll have it by monday

11 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Apparently Kiss Radio in Canada's owners have made all the staff redundant with immediate effect and the only person left has been playing Rage Against the Machines Killing in the name of on repeat for about 24hours..

https://www.kissradio.ca/

Censored version sadly. 

But still appreciated 😂

Unrealistic expectations 

It's 1:15pm , old boy in front of me at the post office wants to send some letters guaranteed next day delivery , she offers him special delivery which he accepts 

Then she looks at the address 

Norway :D

he was insistent he'd sent a letter to Norway next day before , when she said 3-5 days for £8 he started chuntering , crazy price insisting hed sent letters before next day

Maybe that was Norwich though :D

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Unrealistic expectations 

It's 1:15pm , old boy in front of me at the post office wants to send some letters guaranteed next day delivery , she offers him special delivery which he accepts 

Then she looks at the address 

Norway :D

he was insistent he'd sent a letter to Norway next day before , when she said 3-5 days for £8 he started chuntering , crazy price insisting hed sent letters before next day

Maybe that was Norwich though:D 

Why can’t they do a pensioners “happy hour “ at post offices.?Like when the rest of the world is working NOT lunchtime  !

7 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Why can’t they do a pensioners “happy hour “ at post offices.?Like when the rest of the world is working NOT lunchtime  !

There's 2 post offices roughly the same distance from my house , one closes 1pm to 1.30pm the other 1.30pm to 2pm

schools start kicking out at 3pm but the parents start arriving around 2.30pm, throw a few pensioners into the mix and you might as well write the afternoon off

Yup. I go collection only with parcel force for that reason. 

I've even lost my safety post office. Was a little one near work that was a 3 minute detour and opened at 7am. Was bloody great. Went to use it the other week for the first time in tears and it opens at sodding 9 now. Had to go back lunchtime and then as said, fucking queue for ages