What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

He won't do that again 

I had a wasp nest under a tree in the garden so I bought a can of wasp nest destroyer , found the entrance, went out at dusk and the little fuckers had covered the hole over with leaves so I gave it a poke with a stick 

That's when I found out they had a back door and they weren't happy , I screamed like a teenage girl as I ran into the house 

Are you allowed to buy liquid nitrogen 

8 minutes ago, Wack said:

Good luck with an underground nest and a plastic bag 

This is when a concoction of petrol, acetone and polystyrene comes into its own. Works great on railway sidings.

people have made fun of my lighting hobby, and I know people think me weird because of it

but when you get a 400W Ultraviolet woods glass mercury lamp and just making everything fluorescent in your just fucking explode almost, you know your having way more fun then those people :) 

1340598759_ImagefromiOS(28).thumb.jpg.e56308a7a3d88d81b08222ac6036bc47.jpg

I knew the phosphor of the CRT in the Macintosh SE/30 would glow, but I had no idea my iPad would also glow under intense UV LOL

I mean even things that are only generally considered weakly fluorescent where glowing brightly. like the fake wood pattern plastic flooring of this room apparently fluoresces  green who knew LOL and you can cast shadows in ultraviolet which is lots of fun too, this invisible light you cant see but you can still make a shadow of your hand appear on a piece of glowing paper :) 

heres a couple more shots I took which I particularly like, like this one of the lamp just after starting before it had warmed up 

image.thumb.png.c1f5478f4bc01f6e9a860a3bf091445a.png

then fully warmed up (the camera of my iPad REALLY struggled to focus, and then image process this lamp LOL)

image.thumb.png.34fdbc06a248ff9042d092aaefccc853.png

I also quite like how this scope shot came out, very 80's vibe to it with the bright colours (I am monitoring the lamps voltage and current waveforms with it)

image.thumb.png.39069e14768f6946960668cdbfe2d09c.png

12 hours ago, wuvvum said:

You don't need any of that shiz to get rid of a wasp nest.  All you need is a polythene bag.

Eldest daughter had a wasp nest in her garden shed and was terrified of her kids being stung, lots of toys in the shed.

Youngest daughter went in, grabbed the nest (no gloves or other protection) and hurled it over the fence into the field.  No stings.

11 minutes ago, 808 Estate said:

I had 6 of those 400W UV cannons in my gigging days. Brilliant things and far better than the modern LED alternatives which give off too much ambient light.

Great fun getting a venue to light up.

indeed! even with this one I was thinking theres a bit too much visible light coming through LOL (the glass melt was not very well mixed when they made the actual bulb so one side is brighter then the other!)

I made sure to get a Sylvania one, still Chinese made sadly, I wont get into the technical details, but a lot of the no name Chinise ones which is mostly what you find these days are utter wank, so I made sure to get something name brand

if anyone is interested in some more details then theres a link here (I am the user "bulb freak" on this lighting forum! its from the days before I standardised my internet user name to LightBulbFun!)

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-210665

id love to get a proper Japanese made, Iwasaki Eye H400BL one, which is what all the Chinese ones are knock offs of

but ever since Iwasaki stopped making them they have all but vanished from the market sadly

fun fact in East Germany, the state lamp company Narva made a 1000W Woods glass mercury lamp! one can only imagine what one of those would be like! id love to find one, but they are fucking rare as 

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-203615

Back in the day, an American company called Wildfire made some very innovative HID UV fixtures as well as a range of paints and other mediums. Seems they are using LED fixtures now but they always manged to provide high UV output and mimimal visible light output. I suspect to using very well designed optical filtering.

https://wildfirelighting.com/

https://gearsource.com/product/wf-400-blacklight-uv-lighting-fixture/

On 6/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, Wack said:

He won't do that again 

I had a wasp nest under a tree in the garden so I bought a can of wasp nest destroyer , found the entrance, went out at dusk and the little fuckers had covered the hole over with leaves so I gave it a poke with a stick 

That's when I found out they had a back door and they weren't happy , I screamed like a teenage girl as I ran into the house 

Are you allowed to buy liquid nitrogen 

Buy dry nitrogen and add water?

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Do the British public want to use kilometres? BBC 1978.

Oh a bonus Invacar at 0:28 calling @LightBulbFun

Oooh thanks for the heads up! I have seen it before a few times, but thats the highest rez I have seen it in :) sadly still not clear enough to make out the reg mark

22 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

Duke of Wellington’s P38 is for sale on eBay. 

To be fair to the sales admin person at Land Rover, I wouldn’t have known how to address a Duke either.

A70AE93B-2221-4BA4-9F89-E6AB853276CD.png

the question im wondering is why is the "registration" field only 6 boxes long, what was this form last updated in the early 1960s or something?!

or do they expect anyone buying a modern Land Rover/Range Rover product to already have a private plate to go on it? LOL

12 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Cycled 10 miles along Hadrians cycleway to Newcastle quayside. Now having coffee outside at the hardrock cafe. A strong wind was in our face all the way here so the ride home should be a lot easier. 

IMG_20220611_142107_845.jpg

IMG_20220611_142139_331.jpg

IMG_20220611_142215_238.jpg

IMG_20220611_142402_067.jpg

IMG_20220611_142135_780.jpg

Ringtons,  nice! I still buy their tea by mail order and have it sent down south!