What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Sneaky government  don't tell you when you have made max contributions and just let you carry on paying.

Dont tell them I am doing my F in best to avoid paying any more/less tax !!! 

Halford - sign up for their emails and get a 10% discount, bought a new battery for the 525d from them and had it fitted for 151 quid, 5 year warranty. Great service and a nice lad who did the job on the driveway. Battery was original, 15 years old and nearly 200k on the clock, still worked!

10 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Sneaky government  don't tell you when you have made max contributions and just let you carry on paying.

As I understand  it you have to continue to pay National Insurance until state pension age even if you've made 35 years worth of contributions (the number required to claim full state pension.)

15 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

As I understand  it you have to continue to pay National Insurance until state pension age even if you've made 35 years worth of contributions (the number required to claim full state pension.)

Yes, but if you are thinking of retiring early, knowing you'll get a full pension at 68, can be factored into your sums. 

All your figures can be downloaded from the internet.  If you have to do self assessment, you'll already have a log in. 

3 hours ago, New POD said:

Yes, but if you are thinking of retiring early, knowing you'll get a full pension at 68, can be factored into your sums. 

All your figures can be downloaded from the internet.  If you have to do self assessment, you'll already have a log in. 

Indeed. As you point out, it's all available online and I found it well worth the effort checking my NI payment record. In reality I'll be in harness until state pension age despite making a decent effort with my work pension. I know friends who have no private provision. Madness.

Just got the rolling junk heap home ( Focus ) and a rear brake is running warm and making a whishing sound .....

30mm hub nut stopped play ..

the addition of a clean air filter has knocked a few guage needle widths off the trip fuel usage and is back under 1 segment on the guage for the round trip of 140 miles ..

Disco had rusty brake discs on the back, which I initially put down to only done 200 miles since MOT in December. Planning on going a bit further soon so dropped it off at local garage for his opinion. Slider pins are fucking fucked, both calipers seized and needs a set of pads as one has 1mm left due to being stuck on.

In grin section as total cost to fix was only £120. Does make you think about genius idea of 2 year MOT's though. Reckon disco passed due to tapley meter use.

31 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Disco had rusty brake discs on the back, which I initially put down to only done 200 miles since MOT in December. Planning on going a bit further soon so dropped it off at local garage for his opinion. Slider pins are fucking fucked, both calipers seized and needs a set of pads as one has 1mm left due to being stuck on.

In grin section as total cost to fix was only £120. Does make you think about genius idea of 2 year MOT's though. Reckon disco passed due to tapley meter use.

£120 for two calipers, set of pads, and labour? Might as well hang the spanners up if I could be paying someone else to do jobs for that money!

Article in today's daily mirror - Nick Pope, journalist and ex MOD investigator believes it is possible seagulls are spying on us on behalf of aliens.

The ones I have seen are either too busy shitting on my car or trying to steal my bastard chips on Teignmouth seafront to be collating anything useful for an invasion.

4 hours ago, Bren said:

Article in today's daily mirror - Nick Pope, journalist and ex MOD investigator believes it is possible seagulls are spying on us on behalf of aliens.

The ones I have seen are either too busy shitting on my car or trying to steal my bastard chips on Teignmouth seafront to be collating anything useful for an invasion.

They wheel him in for 'credibility' on Ancient Aliens sometimes. A fascinating documentary series that definitely* never* comes to anything other than absolutely logical and indesputible conclusions. Well worth a watch if you want to pass some time. It basically follows this formula:

Question > possible answer > possible evidence > MASSIVE LEAP OF LOGIC > Aliens

Supported by a load of total crackpots who have never ever had sex.

I quite like it.

Another tale of Landrovery woe followed by a hopeful fix. As vouchsafed on here my dad’s diesel developed a severe running problem that turned out to be caused by a shattered camshaft thrust plate which resulted in the camshaft attempting to leave the engine via the timing cover. This also moved the drive on the diesel pump so it was horribly out of time. Aaanyway fixing all this improved matters but it was still badly down on power.

My dad found upon removing the head that a hotspot had escaped and ended up trapped between the piston and the inlet valve bending the latter and cracking a valve guide. That’s probably the issue then. The piston top was quite badly scored but serviceable, the bore was undamaged. I reckon he could rebuild that for £50 quid or maybe a bit more if the valve guide needs an engineering company to do it.

At least my dad has avoided at least two months of £1.75 a litre.