What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I live in the peak district, but the compromise to that is that we live near a junction on a fairly busy road. You soon get used to the noise, (apart from absolute pricks on motorbikes whenever the sun is out).

I was sat in the garden this morning having my breakfast, and I heard a very strange noise in the distance. Old diesel engine, clattering axles and "private dancer" by tina turner being belted out. 

It was a scruffy series 3 landrover 109" towing a DIY cattle trailer made from those IBC cage things, with one very bemused looking goat in, and it absolutely made my day.

Carchaeolgy:

IMG_9036.thumb.JPG.cce8c65ba9348291cc322a4b550a523e.JPG

Sadly very little car stuff done this weekend, but intensive work in the garden of our new place threw these up amongst the usual broken pottery and rusty bits of metal. Perhaps some of the latter are the remnants of the Montego?

Our place was built about 20 years ago and the badge was found in an area of grass that I doubt had been disturbed during that time (and I don't think the previous owners were breaking ARG's finest when they were here).

I suspect the red lens is from a bike light.

Our baby is being born tomorrow— that’s a grin anyway, but not really Autoshite related.  😁

What is, however, is that the 480 is out of the garage and in daily use this week as the chariot of choice for hospital duties and bringing the baby home.  
12511672-52FA-4EBA-9E48-8C29B7B61910.thumb.jpeg.8719300c38e14e4f1ee803684023b4f6.jpeg

1 hour ago, jamescarruthers said:

Our baby is being born tomorrow— that’s a grin anyway, but not really Autoshite related.  😁

What is, however, is that the 480 is out of the garage and in daily use this week as the chariot of choice for hospital duties and bringing the baby home.  
12511672-52FA-4EBA-9E48-8C29B7B61910.thumb.jpeg.8719300c38e14e4f1ee803684023b4f6.jpeg

Good luck.

In light of the new quote "If you don't understand how it works, don't try to inspect or fix it..." in my signature, I am wondering about the mechanical competence of some of the many salvage repair channels on youtube. 

One in particular recently managed to cock up a cambelt on a Ford Duratec. Those engines are pretty easy to time up if you use the correct tools correctly. 
Anyway, he got the timing a few teeth out. First he says he wants to do a compression test before timing it up to check if its bent valves(?)

Then he gets a mechanic in, who sorts the timing issue out. But the mechanic says it could have bent valves which you wont know unless you do a compression test.

The car refused to start initially. He then comes out with the suggestion that it might have just been a leaf in the air filter stopping it from starting and the "mechanic" said if the old air filter was dirty (that it had before the cambelt change) that might be the cause and the dirt has cleared through(!?)

The utter horseshit suggestions like a leaf in the air filter stopping it from running is the grin here, it made me chuckle given how its such bullshit. I don't understand why somebody who doesn't understand how something works is trying to teach it to people on the internet though?

Even more so, why is the general public allowed to buy a crash damaged car without any knowledge, experience or qualification, "repair" it, and then sell it on to someone in the general public, all of this being technically possible without any professional certification of the car? Complete madness and its a fatal tragedy waiting to happen. Thats not a grin, but I wanted to keep it all in the same post

59 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

In light of the new quote "If you don't understand how it works, don't try to inspect or fix it..." in my signature, I am wondering about the mechanical competence of some of the many salvage repair channels on youtube. 

One in particular recently managed to cock up a cambelt on a Ford Duratec. Those engines are pretty easy to time up if you use the correct tools correctly. 
Anyway, he got the timing a few teeth out. First he says he wants to do a compression test before timing it up to check if its bent valves(?)

Then he gets a mechanic in, who sorts the timing issue out. But the mechanic says it could have bent valves which you wont know unless you do a compression test.

The car refused to start initially. He then comes out with the suggestion that it might have just been a leaf in the air filter stopping it from starting and the "mechanic" said if the old air filter was dirty (that it had before the cambelt change) that might be the cause and the dirt has cleared through(!?)

The utter horseshit suggestions like a leaf in the air filter stopping it from running is the grin here, it made me chuckle given how its such bullshit. I don't understand why somebody who doesn't understand how something works is trying to teach it to people on the internet though?

Even more so, why is the general public allowed to buy a crash damaged car without any knowledge, experience or qualification, "repair" it, and then sell it on to someone in the general public, all of this being technically possible without any professional certification of the car? Complete madness and its a fatal tragedy waiting to happen. Thats not a grin, but I wanted to keep it all in the same post

Are you demanding a licencing system like working on 230V electrics or gas or light aircraft ? 

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Are you demanding a licencing system like working on 230V electrics or gas or light aircraft ? 

For structurally damaged cars, especially where someone does not realize the timing being out poses a problem, yes. 

The "That'll be fine because I don't know what else to do" mentality isn't going to work when the car doesn't crumple correctly in it's next accident.

I've seen another where he put a new wing over a crumpled A-pillar to cover it

Should people who have no idea about cars really be allowed to do this on their own driveway for an extra few hundred quid income per month? 

10 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Got a link? 
don’t know why but I do enjoy watching stuff like that 

1 hour ago, goosey said:

Got a link? 
don’t know why but I do enjoy watching stuff like that 

https://youtube.com/c/ResurwreckAutosUK

Thing is he seems a nice enough guy but comes out with complete horseshit sometimes!

If you don't know why it wasn't starting, surely just say "I don't know why it's not starting" and not come up with some story about a leaf blocking the air filter 😂

On 4/19/2022 at 6:12 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

First day this year with over 15 degrees.

Heat wave. 😁Here in my part of Spain temps have hit a low..... 12 to 14 is predicted for the next few days.

translation of some words used in the top left banner.

Presión --- pressure The B on the map is the low pressure zone.

precipitacion y nubosidad --- rainfall and cloud cover. Map The more red the great intensity of rain. She talks about tormentas (thunderstorms)

nieve acumulada --- snow accumulation

rachas de vento --- wind gusts

temperaturas --- tempatures

https://www.eltiempo.es/noticias/tormentas-y-nieve-este-miercoles-de-borrasca

48 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Looks like one of Briggs & Strotton's finest, unsilenced for MOAR POWA. Approved.

I put a new silencer on it last year. It rusted out and fell off.

Much like the engine. Pity, it is a willing little thing.

Also more better I got the mower for free about 6 years ago. It owes me very little. Shame the humidity here kills steel.

30 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Also more better I got the mower for free about 6 years ago. It owes me very little. Shame the humidity here kills steel.

Its the rain that kills it here! I always keep my eyes peeled for 1970s/1980s solid aluminium decks at the local tip because they are invincible. the paint falls off, but a thick ali deck is a thing of wonder and well worth transplanting a working engine onto. I've bought, repaired and sold several, and now regret not rebodying my good engine from a steel deck.

6 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Its the rain that kills it here! I always keep my eyes peeled for 1970s/1980s solid aluminium decks at the local tip because they are invincible. the paint falls off, but a thick ali deck is a thing of wonder and well worth transplanting a working engine onto. I've bought, repaired and sold several, and now regret not rebodying my good engine from a steel deck.

Yeah, people hang on to their 60's Yard Boy machines for that reason here, too.

40 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Have you tried any of the Epoxy Mastic paint like 123 or Jotun on steel to protect it?