What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

he was on the hard shoulder although as potato people will tell ya @Faker

its not really used for emergencies :D

In the west where we holiday, slowies usually move to the shoulder to let MORE IMPORTANT PEOPLE TO BE SURE pass. Though they may just be faster, or sober, drivers.

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

In the west where we holiday, slowies usually move to the shoulder to let MORE IMPORTANT PEOPLE TO BE SURE pass. Though they may just be faster, or sober, drivers.

Or actually have a licence.  Many old people in Ireland never sat a test, in the late 70s they just gave out licences to anyone who had had a provisional for a while.  Like my wife's grandmother.  

Wife's grandmother was stopped going too far though when they put a roundabout on the Tralee road.  That stopped her gallivanting ways and notions of grandeur.

16 hours ago, hairnet said:

he was on the hard shoulder although as potato people will tell ya @Faker

its not really used for emergencies :D

14 hours ago, High Jetter said:

My first memory of Irish road infrastructure was in 1988. Back then, conventional dual carriageways were fairly rare and mostly found around Dublin (especially the N11 going south via Cabinteely), with a couple coming into Cork and Limerick. 

Cross-country National roads were single carriageway BUT what they did have were long lengths of what was euphemistically called a hard shoulder denoted by a broken yellow line. In reality the hard shoulders were about a third-to-half the width of the standard carriageway, and slower traffic (tractors, giffers and learner drivers mostly) would usually drift into this margin, straddling the broken yellow line, to let you overtake before drifting back into the normal carriageway after you had passed. 

To make things more entertaining, pedestrians and  hitchhikers would also walk along the hard shoulder in lieu of a proper pavement. 

3 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Or actually have a licence.  Many old people in Ireland never sat a test, in the late 70s they just gave out licences to anyone who had had a provisional for a while.  Like my wife's grandmother.....

Then there's the provisional licence holders who have been driving around unaccompanied for years. Many didn't bother hanging L-plates on their cars.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, vulgalour said:

A little gift from @PhilA for the Maestro.  Looks right at home.

IMAG6130.thumb.jpg.e4f0dc3a0852994f685cb9764522cfde.jpg

IMAG6131.thumb.jpg.1b548e06d0a94ba5cd3d9e0b203f1ed1.jpg

He normally went in the rear quarter window- reason being when you shut the hatch the resulting shock would normally detach him from the glass and end up in the boot or on the back seat.

Also watch out for damaging the heated glass traces. Was ok in a mk1 Fiesta with sandwiched wires but printed traces are vulnerable.

Looks right at home, though!

Phil

30 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

....used to love the smell of peat in the air, much reduced these days - hard to get it unless you know who to ask it seems. Best winter fires ever IMHO.

I was still getting it in briquettes stamped "BnM" in 2003. They took a while to properly burn through. 

13 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Or actually have a licence.  Many old people in Ireland never sat a test, in the late 70s they just gave out licences to anyone who had had a provisional for a while.  Like my wife's grandmother.  

Wife's grandmother was stopped going too far though when they put a roundabout on the Tralee road.  That stopped her gallivanting ways and notions of grandeur.

My parents grew up in the time before driving tests full stop (pre-1964 you basically just bought a licence). This lead to my mother being licensed for artics and buses for most of her life, despite finding driving a regular car somewhat challenging.

On 22/11/2021 at 14:03, Tadhg Tiogar said:

My first memory of Irish road infrastructure was in 1988. Back then, conventional dual carriageways were fairly rare and mostly found around Dublin (especially the N11 going south via Cabinteely), with a couple coming into Cork and Limerick. 

Cross-country National roads were single carriageway BUT what they did have were long lengths of what was euphemistically called a hard shoulder denoted by a broken yellow line. In reality the hard shoulders were about a third-to-half the width of the standard carriageway, and slower traffic (tractors, giffers and learner drivers mostly) would usually drift into this margin, straddling the broken yellow line, to let you overtake before drifting back into the normal carriageway after you had passed. 

To make things more entertaining, pedestrians and  hitchhikers would also walk along the hard shoulder in lieu of a proper pavement. 

Then there's the provisional licence holders who have been driving around unaccompanied for years. Many didn't bother hanging L-plates on their cars.

I quickly learnt about the hard shoulder within 30 minutes of driving in Ireland for the first time. Leaving Dublin , soon after the dual carriageway ended, I was confronted by an HGV over taking another one , way over into “my” lane.

I swerved onto the hard shoulder thinking “what a fecking idiot !” and then it happened again. Soon realised , this was normal and accepted way of driving there.

8 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

I quickly learnt about the hard shoulder within 30 minutes of driving in Ireland for the first time. Leaving Dublin , soon after the dual carriageway ended, I was confronted by an HGV over taking another one , way over into “my” lane.

I swerved onto the hard shoulder thinking “what a fecking idiot !” and then it happened again. Soon realised , this was normal and accepted way of driving there.

There actually is a logic to it. One might almost say "an Irish solution to an Irish problem".

On 11/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, High Jetter said:

Mine was only 2 or 3 years later. I used to love the smell of peat in the air, much reduced these days - hard to get it unless you know who to ask it seems. Best winter fires ever IMHO.

My Uncle lives in rural Tipperary and always has a shed full of cut turf.

20190901_160733.thumb.jpg.d255ab32d41fcf6576f7aed98f680345.jpg

This would be a nice photo of his cottage if some bellend hadn't parked a Viva in front of it😂

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Sounds almost too good to be true. Any downsides?

Only the 6 month probation being a risk, I guess - but I can't see any right now. The current job has been somewhat underpaid and it's a very small company - so to improve matters, I needed out. I've been there 9 years.. wow that's a long time.