What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 9/25/2021 at 2:02 PM, TataBobu said:

The transmission on my Wagon R+ died on me, it's really noisy and jumps from 3rd and 4th. A new one is not an option, as it would cost at least 5 times what the car is worth. But apparently all the 5 speed Suzuki gearboxes are made of the finest Chinesium, thus having problems, and I can't find a 4x4 one in Romania. Looks like I'll have to buy one and turn it into a 4x2, and then hope I'll be able to fix mine.

Half a really wide grin: I bought a second hand 5 speed gearbox, 4x2. It fits. I can even use the transfer box, but nothing goes towards the rear wheels. But this way I don't have to buy a long drive axle ("planetara") for the right wheel. I now have the car home, the driveshaft between the transfer box and the rear differential ("cardanul") is now in the house, and the 4x4 gearbox is still with the shop, they'll take it apart and see if it's fixable. So far I've spent 820 RON (400 the gearbox, 70 transport over 500 kilometers, 350 for the work done in the garage), and the car works. That's about 140 pounds.

It's different, a lot less noisy and less agricultural. Now I know I'll want a 4x2 one, too, maybe with the M13A engine in it. To change it with an M15A, M16A or M18A :D

Queuing outside the barbers afternoon yielded a couple of spots: First, a tidy, completely standard 52 plate V6 Omega which sounded loooooovely, then a short time later, a late ERF ECT wrecker with a big chrome exhaust stack pumping out the dulcet tones of a 14 litre Cummins. Just for a moment, I was 5 years old again.

We've been keeping an eye out for parts and materials to build the garage extension and got a big score just now.  One of our neighbours was getting rid of the up-and-over door since their garage is now a room.  It's in great shape, with all the fixtures, and the key for the lock, and was working up until the point it was removed a couple of days ago.  We got to take it for free!  Now just to get all the other things we need to build the garage since this was definitely one of the bigger expenses on the project that we now don't need to afford.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

Queuing outside the barbers afternoon yielded a couple of spots: First, a tidy, completely standard 52 plate V6 Omega which sounded loooooovely, then a short time later, a late ERF ECT wrecker with a big chrome exhaust stack pumping out the dulcet tones of a 14 litre Cummins. Just for a moment, I was 5 years old again.

Aww, did you need the big cushion? 🤣

On 10/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, eddyramrod said:

Lincolns are nice but I prefer them older...

On a trip to the US about 15 years ago the hire co gave me a Chrysler 300C , it had 40k on but drove like it'd done 140k without a service so I took it back, all they had to replace it was a 25 miles on the clock Lincoln Continental , it was massive, biggest boot i've ever seen in a car ,  it was so slow, I had an XK8 at the time so knew about V8s , all that happened when you floored the lincoln was a bit more noise , it barely went any faster, It was that bad I lifted the bonnet to see if it was just V8 badges on the wings.

You'd really have to want one because the test drive would've been so underwhelming you'd be straight round to Lexus/Jaguar/BMW/Audi etc