What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just had a visit from my grandparents who I've not seen since 2019 owing to distance and the plague. Grandad will be 89 this year so his memory's starting to get a bit shaky. I took him out in the P6 and he absolutely loved it - said it made his day. In his own words - "tremendous" - I wish I could have taken a picture of the grin on his face, it was a really special moment.

That's why I love this car. It puts smiles on faces. It's made someone's day - and in return, that's made mine. :) 

Taking a Football team to Te Puke yesterday (Sat) for a game . A Mini came round the corner towards me . Then about another two dozen followed . there were only 3 or 4 not really minis with them and someone in an MGB at the rear. Made my day even though the team lost 2 nil.

On the way back from an early morning run to the storage container I saw a load of shiny MkI/II Granadas and big Farina Wolseleys/Westminsters out and about, presumably on their way to a show. A minor disappointment that I can't also go along to stuff like that at present, especially when it's a sunny Sunday, but looking forward to being able to do more of it myself next year when we're settled into the new place.

A carry on from my post in the boring xsara thread, but one of the stories that came out of my grandparents yesterday was related to my cousins first wedding. 

Now dad had the M reg mondeo at the time so I remember pretty much buggar all about it, but the groom and best man came to church on classic bikes. My uncle owns a few and has been bike mad his whole life but my grandad rode one too. Apparently pretty much the last time he rode a bike, he got a phone call one night, later than they usually expect a phone call and it was Tony, my uncle. Their in the pub with the groom and best man and have formulated a plan. They'll hire a vintage bus for the guests, vintage cars for the bride and brides maid etc, and the grooms father, best man and groom will ride bikes, can you still ride one and have you still got bike insurance? Turns out grandad had so a week or so later, they all meet up and have a trial run. The best man has never been on a bike so they all ride a bit and swap round to find the bike they each liked and see who could have the best man. 

The story ended there because they got divorced a few years after and he was a bit of a dickhead from what I've gathered. But apparently, it was also the last time my gran rode passenger too. Tony asked if she wanted a ride, but she didn't have any gear so my aunt lent her a lid (their words) and a jacket and granny and grandad went for a "short drive" which ended up being rather long and the last time they ever rode a bike together. 😭

Then the best but. It was featured in a magazine, apparently they have a copy still, but couldn't remember what it was called. 

A quick message to my aunt and

SmartSelect_20210815-141545_Messenger.thumb.jpg.a9f99cbdccabafc9adde52aa4379f03b.jpg

Found a copy on ebay, should come Tuesday! 

She sent me a pic of the bikes too which they blatently have hanging up on the wall 

received_691942798872591.thumb.jpeg.fd3686527fcc32c4375173685b4604e7.jpeg

Some how between the 4 of us yesterday afternoon , eve and night , we polished off 5 bottles of red wine , numerous bottles of beer , 1/2 bottle of whiskey , 4 scones and a curry .  One chap made it home early with his push bike whilst the remainder carried on till midnight . we were all up by 9 am and cooked breakfast sorted .... 

9 hours on the pop . Not bad after a break for covid and a cancer op !

52 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

So far, incredible as it may seem, work.

Alright I'm having to handball in 500kg an hour of barium, but other than that it's cushy as fuck.

Had to google barium

Barium is a chemical element with the symbol Ba and atomic number 56. It is the fifth element in group 2 and is a soft, silvery alkaline earth metal. Because of its high chemical reactivity, barium is never found in nature as a free element. ... Barium compounds are added to fireworks to impart a green color.

Any chance of some cheap green fireworks in a couple of months

4 minutes ago, Wack said:

Had to google barium

Barium is a chemical element with the symbol Ba and atomic number 56. It is the fifth element in group 2 and is a soft, silvery alkaline earth metal. Because of its high chemical reactivity, barium is never found in nature as a free element. ... Barium compounds are added to fireworks to impart a green color.

When my mum was in radiography she called it a barium meal. Basically drink the mush so the scan can follow it through you.

12 minutes ago, Wack said:

Had to google barium

The type we use is a talc. It's used as a filler in plastics.

20210815_210552.jpg

17 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I seem to have been under the impression that @iainrczwas in hospital ingesting barium. I blame alcohol intake. Glad you’re not! Just realised when what I read as 500g, was actually 500kg! Sorry. And good luck with the job.