What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On the trip down to Wales the shitbox managed a pleasing 42.3 mpg, and over nearly 1k miles just over 38.

Not so pleasing is the front suspension, which is making more noise than my neighbour's children. Probably my fault.

It still handles like a house fly, it just like making noises while doing so. It needs looking at. It better not be one of the dampers, or I'll be flying over to Japan and wedging it sideways up the arse of the man in charge of QA at Tein.

Setting the valve clearances on the Merc earlier I deduced that turning the engine over via the alternator pulley was by far the easiest... getting to the crank pulley from an angle where I can also see the valve gear is a pain, and the power steering pulley is no good as the fan shroud is in the way.  However I needed to nip the belt up a bit to stop it slipping (belt was way too loose anyway).

I'm used to this being a bit of a faff, involving trying to lever against something to get the right tension on the belt while also doing up the retaining bolts.  Saab are one of the exceptions as they have a leadscrew based adjuster.  Likewise on the Jag... though that loses twice as many points for having the most stupidly fine thread on it and burying the adjusters for two of the belts in totally invisible locations.

Finding this arrangement on the Merc was a massively pleasant surprise.

IMG_20210810_131245.thumb.jpg.74492f77fdf6894d8cea1fd9946daae2.jpg

Such a simple idea, but it means that adjusting the belt takes literally about two minutes.  Some designer actually put thought into that design with regards to how it would actually be used after the car left the showroom.

Yes those belts are shot, exposure to oil from a major leak from the rocker cover has seen to that, I'm waiting on the arrival of replacements, they'll be changed once those turn up.