What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 7/12/2021 at 12:09 AM, eddyramrod said:

Huggy had a visitor today...

1071827027_HB036.thumb.jpg.fde3ae73f2bf87dcfa856ae9df993b08.jpg

756248244_HB035.thumb.jpg.1a3da1d9c1daa5f5074f5cfa65215462.jpg

1991 Buick, brought along by our old friend Junkman.  He had got wind of my plastic kit sale, and ordered some; today he collected, and took away some diecasts too.  It was great to see him again!  (And his Buick is gorgeous!)

What laquer peel?

C1 has been making tinny rattling noises some of the time since it went to Lincolnshire. Took it to my mechanic's this morning, up on the ramp, exhaust hanger has parted company with exhaust diagnosed. He welded it up, no charge.

Obvs I gave him some dosh anyway.

Every time I visit Halfords in Cumbernauld I always have a truly bizarre conversation with their staff and not in a good way.

Last night was the latest when I went in to buy some sticky pads to attach Mrs_Pin's plate to the Civic.

I went to the counter to pay.

Agent "Attaching some number plates?"

Me "Yes that's right"

Agent "Would you like an email receipt?"

Me "Yes please"

Agent "What's your email address?"

Me (provides email address which has my first name in it)

Agent "I've never understood why people spell Iain with two 'I's?

Me (Thinking he's being a bit of a wido here) "It's because it's Gaelic for 'John'".

Agent "Oh right. It's a weird language isn't it?"

Me (Humouring him a bit) "Yes some of the words look downright bizarre don't they?"

Agent "Can you speak Gaelic?"

Me "Yes, I can".

Agent "What can you say?"

Me "Iain".  

Me "Byeeee looolll!"

Had a nice day out today at Hack Green bunker , I'm a cold war obsessive and have been meaning to go for years.

https://www.hackgreen.co.uk/  

Went past a chaps house near the gates and he has the biggest collection of fucked Land Rovers I've ever seen, must have been 50-60 in his garden 

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Me (Thinking he's being a bit of a wido here) "It's because it's Gaelic for 'John'".

To be fair, I'd have probably thought you were extracting the urine at that point - but I see you're absolutely correct. Yep, Gaelic is a bit weird.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Every time I visit Halfords in Cumbernauld I always have a truly bizarre conversation with their staff and not in a good way.

Last night was the latest when I went in to buy some sticky pads to attach Mrs_Pin's plate to the Civic.

I went to the counter to pay.

Agent "Attaching some number plates?"

Me "Yes that's right"

Agent "Would you like an email receipt?"

Me "Yes please"

Agent "What's your email address?"

Me (provides email address which has my first name in it)

Agent "Oh right. It's a weird language isn't it?"

Me (Humouring him a bit) "Yes some of the words look downright bizarre don't they?"

Agent "Can you speak Gaelic?"

Me "Yes, I can".

Agent "What can you say?"

Me "Iain".  

Me "Byeeee looolll!"

I recently watch a YT vid and the guy that is the channel reads out comments on previous vids. One comment was from Iain  however he pronounced it Lain. 🙄

A little over two months ago I was despatched a job to take a 92 year old lady half a mile to the shops. She'd not long lost her husband to cancer and after being double jabbed this was her first trip out alone after he passed away. She asked me about my Covid vaccine status and I told her that I'd already had Covid. Curious, she enquired how badly I was affected so I gave her the honest answer, I had a bad dry cough that lasted four days and I spent the next ten days on the sofa wondering if I was going to die. I told her that to pass the time I watched Citizen Kane and Casablanca as I felt that if I might die then I really should watch those classic films before I shuffle my mortal coil! She found this funny and she laughed all the way to the shops.

Earlier today I get the same job sent to me. I vaguely remember her from before and she gets in the back of my Hyundai. During the journey, she tells me that our drivers are wonderful and always polite. She then tells me the story of her first shopping trip without her late husband. She says that she was close to tears with grief and anxiety but our driver made her laugh and smile for the first time since her husband died by telling the story of when he got Covid and whilst isolating and wondering if he was going to snuff it so spent the time on his sofa watching Citizen Kane and Casablanca as he felt that if he might die then he really should watch those classic films before its too late. Apparently, his personality and funny story helped her feel confident enough to face her first trip out alone.

I really wanted to tell her that I was the driver she was talking to but thought better of it. I quite like the fact that she tells our story to every driver that takes her.

I'll always remember her telling me my story and what good it did her until the day I die. This little old lady certainly made my day!

On 7/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, hairnet said:

Many nerd

Many restored

@cms206

Jonckheere avec volvo

Bought new then bought back

Madness 86 he said

IMG_20210713_095913517.jpg

I'm sure I went in one of those on a final year secondary school trip to Austria.

It would have been 1990/91ish.

The company sadly didn't survive, although was around until a decade or so ago - Hookways.

Which model is it? 

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

A little over two months ago I was despatched a job to take a 92 year old lady half a mile to the shops. She'd not long lost her husband to cancer and after being double jabbed this was her first trip out alone after he passed away. She asked me about my Covid vaccine status and I told her that I'd already had Covid. Curious, she enquired how badly I was affected so I gave her the honest answer, I had a bad dry cough that lasted four days and I spent the next ten days on the sofa wondering if I was going to die. I told her that to pass the time I watched Citizen Kane and Casablanca as I felt that if I might die then I really should watch those classic films before I shuffle my mortal coil! She found this funny and she laughed all the way to the shops.

Earlier today I get the same job sent to me. I vaguely remember her from before and she gets in the back of my Hyundai. During the journey, she tells me that our drivers are wonderful and always polite. She then tells me the story of her first shopping trip without her late husband. She says that she was close to tears with grief and anxiety but our driver made her laugh and smile for the first time since her husband died by telling the story of when he got Covid and whilst isolating and wondering if he was going to snuff it so spent the time on his sofa watching Citizen Kane and Casablanca as he felt that if he might die then he really should watch those classic films before its too late. Apparently, his personality and funny story helped her feel confident enough to face her first trip out alone.

I really wanted to tell her that I was the driver she was talking to but thought better of it. I quite like the fact that she tells our story to every driver that takes her.

I'll always remember her telling me my story and what good it did her until the day I die. This little old lady certainly made my day!

That's why, sometimes, it's the best job in the world.