What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, cobblers said:

Came home from work to find someone has painted the lintels, windowsills and front+rear doorsteps on our house.  They've chosen a nice colour and done a reasonably good job.

It's nothing to do with us - Someone has dropped a bollock. I wasn't looking forward to doing that!

Dad had his garage door replaced foc by the council once . Was a block of 3 garages ( 2 were privately owned)

Council men were instructed to replace no1’s door . They went to the wrong end of the block and did dads ( no3)

😂

10 hours ago, cobblers said:

Came home from work to find someone has painted the lintels, windowsills and front+rear doorsteps on our house.  They've chosen a nice colour and done a reasonably good job.

It's nothing to do with us - Someone has dropped a bollock. I wasn't looking forward to doing that!

I have a small sewage treatment plant as my house is well outside the mains area. About 18 months after we started using it, we came home one day to find the circulating pump and associated pipework on the lawn. The company had replaced it under guarantee with a totally different pump system that bubbled air through the effluent. 

The only thing was, ours was working perfectly, they had come to the wrong house. Around £700 worth done for free. It wasn't a complete surprise when they went bankrupt a couple of years later.

20 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I once had a wooden fire escape replaced for a galvanised one. Should have been fitted 2 doors down.

I used to do maintenance sparky work for a local country estate.  "Can you wire a new shower in Gamekeeper's Cottage".   So, I wired and connected a newly installed electric shower in the bathroom by the back door after the plumbers had been to pipe and fit it, -  carpets and flooring had to be lifted right through the cottage, heavy furniture moved in a long corridor, etc. 

Turned out the shower was meant to be fitted in the bathroom upstairs (about 3m from the mains board).  Plumber had came in the back door and just assumed that was where shower was to be fitted.

Want to cut down 4 pine trees next to my house that are leaning over and also block the light into the house. They are protected in some areas around here (fines are up to €3,000 if you cut one down without permission) So I went to the local town to check if I needed permission. The guy on reception said I did not. But not 100% sure he was right, so I emailed the town hall to at least get a written response.

This morning i had a uniformed officer of the Enviroment department call. He inspected the trees and told me they could be removed. Really nice fella, explained that I should get the cut trees taken away asap as they represent a bigger fire hazard once cut. Great news.

Tree surgeon will be here in a few weeks, with a lorry and hiab crane to take away all the trunks and branches. And at a price less than I expected.

Much as I dislike cutting down trees, they are an issue. I will replace them with trees that produce blossoms for the bees, and plant them futher away from the house.

I had 3 big pine trees in my previous home's garden which were in a line on a slope away from the house, had to be 40ft tall at least.  I'd had concerns about them from the day I moved in - they hung on for a few more years until a storm took out the lowest one and landed it across the neighbour's garden - fortunately with no more damage than a few broken panes of glass in their greenhouse and the demolition of some rotten fence panels.  It did reveal the fact they were only rooted about 4 ft deep and the other 2 were barely clinging on.  All 3 had to go and it didn't half let in some light - I agree, it's a terrible shame to have to remove a tree but from what the tree surgeon told me, pines are meant to exist in a cluster on level ground, not in isolation where they have no means of shelter/support.  Great idea to replace them with blossoming trees.

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

Like for the not-a-Rayton-Fissore; Doug DeMouro I can take or leave.

Would much rather have watched you talking about yours, tbh.

Yeah seconded! I’d love to know more about just how many parts bins they raided to make those things.