What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Travelled by train for the first time since lockdown started last year. Four trains, Perth-Waverley-Peterborough-Norwich-Great Yarmouth. Every single train on schedule to the minute, every train waiting on time, plenty of space, not many people and ALL wearing masks. Could not have been better.

8 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Travelled by train for the first time since lockdown started last year. Four trains, Perth-Waverley-Peterborough-Norwich-Great Yarmouth. Every single train on schedule to the minute, every train waiting on time, plenty of space, not many people and ALL wearing masks. Could not have been better.

Years ago I spent several months working with the operational planners and controllers for a big airline. It was a truth universally acknowledged that transport systems would run massively better without passengers.

(see also IT systems/users, shops/customers, schools/children etc etc)

52 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Years ago I spent several months working with the operational planners and controllers for a big airline. It was a truth universally acknowledged that transport systems would run massively better without passengers.

(see also IT systems/users, shops/customers, schools/children etc etc)

this is true, every "customer facing" job i have ever done has been utterly ruined by the idiot  "customers".....

19 hours ago, Saabnut said:

My condolences.

I was on the slow train to Liverpool on Sunday (the same service you will have got from Peatboghorror to Norwich, but in the opposite direction).  Despite a delay due to a points failure at Ely, it rolled into Liverpool 2 minutes early, and everyone (above the age of about 10 anyway) was wearing masks and keeping their distance.

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

COVID PCR test results just in - negative so I can go to work!

Taxi picks me up in less than an hour to take me to the boat. 

Here we go again.....

Bonvoyage! Does this mean the 'view from my office' thread will get revived? 

Bet your house wondered what was going on, longest I've known you at home for in the years I've known you! 

38 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Bonvoyage! Does this mean the 'view from my office' thread will get revived? 

Bet your house wondered what was going on, longest I've known you at home for in the years I've known you! 

I had forgotten that! Will go and find it and, yes if there is any interest I will revive the thread. May not be too interesting this time, but you never know.

I took the Daihatsu to work yesterday, it was a totally shit day with the 'to do' pile being twice as high at the end of the day as it was at the start (and it was dangerously high to start with!) but driving home made the stress evaporate. The daihatsu is a bit of a TLGP weapon and even holds its own on the motorway. 

I managed to badly embarrass the driver of a ford focus who incorrectly related 'small = slow' - overtook and then got tangled in some traffic while I blasted past the dawdlers in the middle and outside lanes in L1. I got followed for a while by a lovely gunmetal grey Toyota Starlet as well.

Then, having come off the motorway I was at the front of the queue with mr focus on my left. He looked over and sneered so I booted it and used all the revs in 1st and 2nd and left him for dead. 

I might get a flat cap, walking stick on the parcel shelf and dogs trust sticker for the back window to complete the look* of coffin dodger giffer-mobile.

Childish? Yes. Fun? Yes, also. I always wanted a bit of a sleeper and the Daihatsu is very much one. 

I've just had a nice surprise, while I was upstairs using the desktop puter.  For ages now, there's been a balloon popping up when I turned it on, telling me I "have files waiting to be written to the CD."  Until tonight I've ignored it, but while cleaning the mouse I accidentally clicked it.  It's only a whole load of photos that I thought I'd lost!  I need to back them all up on a memory stick now, but oh boy, I'm so pleased to see them again!

Some years ago my weekend didn't officially start until I'd heard Brian Matthew on Sounds of the Sixties.

Sadly he died in 2017 and Tony Blackburn just isn't the same. I've recently manged to get myself into a new Saturday morning routine, watching "Public Eye" which I 'tape' off Talking PicturesTV on Thursday evening.

So the immortal music that acompanies this is my new weekend intro:

IMG_6419.thumb.JPG.b28c547dd1dcc609db252857adc34903.JPG

I don't remember it myself but Public Eye is great viewing. This week's episode seems to mark the start of a new series. It was a little bit more action-packed than previous episodes (personally I hope we get back to the slower-paced storylines) but the fipside was that we were treated to more filming on location.

IMG_6465.thumb.JPG.52b9a3ab0d956b6420cc9d1effb8300a.JPG

Early Datsun 140J! I just about made it out to be WPD 778M, it made it to 1984.

IMG_6470.thumb.JPG.47714190f648a92e2cd618075bc1049e.JPG

The villains use a Jaguar (obviously).

IMG_6469.thumb.JPG.f61350331f15fc583e14a6448086e90a.JPG

Our hero Frank Marker (played impeccably by Alfred Burke) makes his escape in a Landcrab.

IMG_6471.thumb.JPG.b86de4cc5a3187db9c147dbfaa641a73.JPG

Datsun 1200 coupe!

IMG_6473.thumb.JPG.711d79737a61a8aca4f5436f20b84e99.JPG

Corolla estate.

As ever with a programme from this era it's good to see actors who pop up in other shows, either at the tail end of a long career or on their way to greater things. We recently had a relatively subdued Brian Blesed playing a vicar, and Sarah Greene's mum.