What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Would have been better if it had been from the Scientologists!

Are there actual L Rons in the UK? Being an incorrigible exceptionalist at heart my desire is for brits to be magically immune to such piffle, but the mundane reality is we're just as prone to cheap con-tricks and magical thinking as everyone else.

Are there actual L Rons in the UK? Being an incorrigible exceptionalist at heart my desire is for brits to be magically immune to such piffle, but the mundane reality is we're just as prone to cheap con-tricks and magical thinking as everyone else.
Unfortunately too many where I live...
About a mile away from his bloody house in East Grinstead.

4 hours ago, louiepj said:

Unfortunately too many where I live...
About a mile away from his bloody house in East Grinstead.

Ah yes, the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints' former headquarters. Very nice location but I've only ever driven by it. I'm rather surprised I lived so close to one of the UK's largest Mormon communes...

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Ah yes, the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints' former headquarters. Very nice location but I've only ever driven by it. I'm rather surprised I lived so close to one of the UK's largest Mormon communes...

I went in there a few times to collect and deliver many years ago... very strange people and atmosphere, very plush headquarters for the mindbenders though. 

On 3/15/2021 at 8:07 AM, hairnet said:

@STUNO am I nuts :D

Screenshot_20210314-190335.png

Just got home from a long, 4 day bus trip . 

Yes if you buy a seriously (by millions) overpriced home there, but absolutely not if you just sold a hideously overpriced home there !

20 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I used to pass a "Christian Scientists" place on my way to scouts - it was a few years ago (late fifties/early sixties).

Seems to be a contradiction in terms and sometimes wondered if it were anything similar to Scientology.

Never felt motivated to investigate.

Screenshot from 2021-03-17 09-54-33.png

This place, seems to be a private residence now.

2 hours ago, myglaren said:

I used to pass a "Christian Scientists" place on my way to scouts - it was a few years ago (late fifties/early sixties).

Seems to be a contradiction in terms and sometimes wondered if it were anything similar to Scientology.

Never felt motivated to investigate.

Screenshot from 2021-03-17 09-54-33.png

This place, seems to be a private residence now.

The Christian Scientists are a totally different sect again... IIRC they believe in different planes of existence and that sickness is an illusion that we can pray away... 

So not that scientific... 

It’s a rapidly shrinking movement. 

Had a man turn up at 8am to change my main fuse board as it no longer passed the regs. Decent chap, he got cracking etc. 

4 hours later he had it done, then it kept tripping... I utterly shat myself but thank fuck we narrowed it down to the easy to get to socket behind the TV, rather than the desk needing to be dismantled, or half my bedroom emptied to remove the chest of drawers I keep in the built in wardrobe with the socket in it!

Wonder how often this new one is going to trip when I plug a fucked up hoover into it though vs the old one... 

19 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Had a man turn up at 8am to change my main fuse board as it no longer passed the regs. Decent chap, he got cracking etc. 

4 hours later he had it done, then it kept tripping... I utterly shat myself but thank fuck we narrowed it down to the easy to get to socket behind the TV, rather than the desk needing to be dismantled, or half my bedroom emptied to remove the chest of drawers I keep in the built in wardrobe with the socket in it!

Wonder how often this new one is going to trip when I plug a fucked up hoover into it though vs the old one... 

Hopefully it shouldn't trip any more than your old board when you plug an old hoover in. It'll probably trip more than the old one if there are short circuits to earth within the hoover itself, but at least you'll know something's awry with the device.

It's always a headache when fitting new boards with better earth fault protection into older installations which may have never had any type of that protection before, mainly because anything like earth faults will have gone undetected until the fancy new RCBO consumer unit immediately turns off your kitchen sockets, because Joe Kitchenfitter managed to hammer a nail straight into the socket wiring.

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Hopefully it shouldn't trip any more than your old board when you plug an old hoover in. It'll probably trip more than the old one if there are short circuits to earth within the hoover itself, but at least you'll know something's awry with the device.

It's always a headache when fitting new boards with better earth fault protection into older installations which may have never had any type of that protection before, mainly because anything like earth faults will have gone undetected until the fancy new RCBO consumer unit immediately turns off your kitchen sockets, because Joe Kitchenfitter managed to hammer a nail straight into the socket wiring.

The blokes face when the breaker insta-tripped was priceless bless him. He'd already had to chisel the holes that pass from the meter to the fuse board wider had his next job calling him chasing and I had my rental inspection at 10am which took 5 minutes for me, but poor bloke went into his van for a cuppa and his break and she was out there 20 minutes asking about/chasing things up. 

Could have been way worse, to get at the desk sockets involves 45 minutes of breaking down, the kitchen ones are all flush grouted in too. Sure they'll fail soon enough

4 hours ago, brownnova said:

If I played for Bayern Munich I’d be fined every week!! 
A05DDBBB-23F3-4995-9CDE-4F0A482CD8A3.jpeg

No way I’d be turning up to work in a modern Audi... 

For £43 I would. For £43k I'd make sure it was clean too. 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Sure they'll fail soon enough

I'm sure you'll be fine! I'm sure for most sparks, their retrofit nightmare is getting the board changed and all pretty, only to find that as soon as the upstairs lights are turned on, the whole house house goes dark and the sun is going down... Interesting, however, that it wasn't picked up during any of the dead testing that should've happened before the board was powered up but hey-ho. These things happen and happen they do.

7 hours ago, nomiST said:

Has L Ron still got a shopfront on Tottenham Court Road offering free "Personality Tests"?

Just by Goodge Street station.

Yes, I was accosted by one of them outside it  2 years ago. I think my laughing and walking away was enough of an answer