What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

23 hours ago, Rab said:

Some bloke in NZ researching a book on XJ6 histories in relation to Nelson assembly..found out that my S2 SWB is one of five . That was my fapping anorak moment of this morning..i had my suspicions...speedo is in KPHs..also that its 1975..Jag UK ended the SWB in 74...

IMG_0754.JPG

Wrote to a guy..who produced..the book...answer

Hi Rab
Thanks for the email and photos. For your information I am attaching a copy of the fliers we used for the book which gives you a little of my background.
Firstly your cars. The first one FM9746 is Chassis No IL13805BW and was registered in NZ on 11 May 1971. It is a UK assembled car and would be brought in to NZ either on overseas fund or import licence. You say it was a South Otago car (we spent 13 years in Baclutha, 1968-1981, and all our children were born there) so it would have come in on the overseas funds scheme. Do you have any idea as who was the first owner as when were were in Balclutha we also had a Series One and there was a very active group of owners there. The first Nelson assembled Series One did not come off the assembly line until 7 September 1971. Your second one is the car that interests me. It is a Nelson assembled SWB model with Chassis No A2N6093BW and Body No.KZ713375N. Regretfully without the registration number I cannot confirm when it was sold but my best estimate is around early May 1975. What is also of interest is its colour – Dark Blue. Very few Series Two SWB were ever painted that colour. In fact I would say of the 156 Series Two SWB that were assembled in Nelson only about four came out in  Dark Blue. As I said 156 SWB Series Two’s were assembled in Nelson between August 1974 and May 1975. The last one KZ732 features in my book and is owned by Chris Asquith in Dunedin. It is a beautiful original car. Your one at KZ713 was in the last batch of SWB’s. Of the 156 SWB,s I have been only able to trace 17 so you can see how thrilled I was to find another one. The Nelson numbering system is all explained in the book.
Concerning the book. If you wish to purchase one could you please contact my publisher, Dave McManus at Copy Press. His details are on the flier. I have had quite a run lately and have only my copy left.Also you are better to get it from him as they have a far better deal with overseas postage than I can get.
Great to hear from you and if you could supply me with any further details about your cars that would be terrific. When you do get the SWB  to Scotland you will have the only NZ assembled XJ6 in the country as I do not know of any other going to the UK. A number have gone to Australia though.

My ever reliable but little used Hiace decided that having two door mirrors wasn't for him after Mrs S tried to fold them in to get through a tight gate and promptly snapped one clean off.

20210306_120655.thumb.jpg.0dff7aa70610fa798125da03a1422291.jpg

But when i bought him he came with a box of random Granvia bits in the back and behold once i found the box again there was two posh mirrors in it.

20210306_120714.thumb.jpg.9d7abb7a4d6ea09278dd32d7d4131198.jpg

But being electric it needs to be wired in to allow it to fold in and out.

20210306_124008.thumb.jpg.a88bb285c18d9c246d12491e68700179.jpg

20210306_122525.thumb.jpg.f10294f95b14844337e3303fecd19ac3.jpg

It fits a treat and there is wiring in the door for it too.

Alas i haven't got a switch for it but i have found a plug for one behind the dash.

Thinking aloud i wonder it i can borrow the switch off my Avensis to see if it works...

20210306_124031.thumb.jpg.9ccf935eac186a880e9488dccac9ceb3.jpg

There you go if you squint slightly its just like a Juke with their miss matched mirrors. 

4 hours ago, Joey spud said:

Alas i haven't got a switch for it but i have found a plug for one behind the dash.

Thinking aloud i wonder it i can borrow the switch off my Avensis to see if it works...

20210306_124031.thumb.jpg.9ccf935eac186a880e9488dccac9ceb3.jpg

There you go if you squint slightly its just like a Juke with their miss matched mirrors. 

Japanese W124! :D 

17 hours ago, Rab said:

Wrote to a guy..who produced..the book...answer

Hi Rab
Thanks for the email and photos. For your information I am attaching a copy of the fliers we used for the book which gives you a little of my background.
Firstly your cars. The first one FM9746 is Chassis No IL13805BW and was registered in NZ on 11 May 1971. It is a UK assembled car and would be brought in to NZ either on overseas fund or import licence. You say it was a South Otago car (we spent 13 years in Baclutha, 1968-1981, and all our children were born there) so it would have come in on the overseas funds scheme. Do you have any idea as who was the first owner as when were were in Balclutha we also had a Series One and there was a very active group of owners there. The first Nelson assembled Series One did not come off the assembly line until 7 September 1971. Your second one is the car that interests me. It is a Nelson assembled SWB model with Chassis No A2N6093BW and Body No.KZ713375N. Regretfully without the registration number I cannot confirm when it was sold but my best estimate is around early May 1975. What is also of interest is its colour – Dark Blue. Very few Series Two SWB were ever painted that colour. In fact I would say of the 156 Series Two SWB that were assembled in Nelson only about four came out in  Dark Blue. As I said 156 SWB Series Two’s were assembled in Nelson between August 1974 and May 1975. The last one KZ732 features in my book and is owned by Chris Asquith in Dunedin. It is a beautiful original car. Your one at KZ713 was in the last batch of SWB’s. Of the 156 SWB,s I have been only able to trace 17 so you can see how thrilled I was to find another one. The Nelson numbering system is all explained in the book.
Concerning the book. If you wish to purchase one could you please contact my publisher, Dave McManus at Copy Press. His details are on the flier. I have had quite a run lately and have only my copy left.Also you are better to get it from him as they have a far better deal with overseas postage than I can get.
Great to hear from you and if you could supply me with any further details about your cars that would be terrific. When you do get the SWB  to Scotland you will have the only NZ assembled XJ6 in the country as I do not know of any other going to the UK. A number have gone to Australia though.

I found the date of registration and original number plate, if you don't already have these details, Rab?

3 hours ago, hairnet said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjiT0xEhTw

@Schaefft say whaaa??? :D

@eddyramrod would know all the yank shite with the white one at the end

also WANT the green one at the end on the train - edit sorry thats the next video after this one

the alpine out the back of the truck looked scary.............

I think I've got them.... 1960  Chevrolet Impala; 1960-61 Dodge, probably a Coronet; 1966-ish Ford Fairlane, or possibly Mercury (that's the one with the stacked headlights).

10 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I inadvertently subjected myself to a brief excerpt; my god they're a pair of whiners. The world's tiniest violin isn't small enough.

Well, yes, but no.  I watched the whole thing, but my overriding impression was that the Royal family have only themselves to blame....come the revolution...etc....

54 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Insurance renewal for my 2 vans with Aviva is 12.8% less than last year - have looked at a couple of comparison sites and can't find anything cheaper.

Win win. You were probably 50% less risk last year and 20% this year if the lockdown easing continues as planned. 

They don't give a money away..it's a competitive market. Etc. 

4 hours ago, New POD said:

Well, yes, but no.  I watched the whole thing, but my overriding impression was that the Royal family have only themselves to blame....come the revolution...etc....

That kind of goes without saying, they're dysfunctional because maintaining a 1000 year old construct is more important than pretty much anything else, but I digress; I got the impression that the Princess in "The princess and the pea" had more agency than either party.

9 hours ago, New POD said:

You were probably 50% less risk last year and 20% this year if the lockdown easing continues as planned. 

I am happy for them to think that, but the mileages have hardly altered as my businesses have been permitted to remain open throughout.

9 hours ago, New POD said:

Win win. You were probably 50% less risk last year and 20% this year if the lockdown easing continues as planned. 

They don't give a money away..it's a competitive market. Etc. 

Just wait for it to go up, once all those people who have forgotten how to drive get back out on the road (with partially seized brakes and semi-flat tyres)

21 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I am happy for them to think that, but the mileages have hardly altered as my businesses have been permitted to remain open throughout.

Less traffic on the road ?