What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Death notice in the paper today made me grin !

Due to unfortunate circumstances K--- was involved in a car accident and died at the scene. ON Wednesday 3rd of March at 11:00 AM family and friends held a raging party to honour K's life and memories. 26/10/1999-25/02/21.

I do hope they all recover soon, and he definitely will not be forgotten.

In amongst the York Trailers negatives (see Truckshite) I found this.  You can just imagine the official photographer stood there, awaiting the the lorry he was going to take the photos of for York Trailers come into view and then, just as he pressed the shutter.....

IMG_0327.thumb.jpg.960ff9ab1d5ab93983314e637ed4e3f9.jpg

On 03/03/2021 at 19:09, warch said:

In his account of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922 the following exchange between Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon was recorded;

“...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold - everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.”

It is notable because almost a hundred years later I 'discovered' this glorious man space. I have recorded my thoughts for posterity;

"as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from a fug of WD40 and hydraulic oil, strange welders, oxy acetylene torches- everywhere the glint of oil. Surely here a King* must be found....

7SpUCjS.jpg?1

*King Dick probably

Oi! What're you doing in my kitchen?!

1 minute ago, S2000 said:

I used to run a pair of Audion valve Pre amps and the best valves were NOS Russian ...

I've probably got a Valve Addiction, to be honest... These are amazing and have got 10:49 hours at the time of writing! 

I like the fact that something designed for the Military is being used for totally peaceful* applications nowadays. 

I'll check out Audion. I've heard great things about them; this is my first Valve Amplifier, so I'm learning all the time! 

😎😎😎👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I've probably got a Valve Addiction, to be honest... These are amazing and have got 10:49 hours at the time of writing! 

I like the fact that something designed for the Military is being used for totally peaceful* applications nowadays. 

I'll check out Audion. I've heard great things about them; this is my first Valve Amplifier, so I'm learning all the time! 

😎😎😎👍👍👍

The one thing I love about valve amps is the true difference they give when warmed up, sounds ‘canny’ but they are a warmer and more purer sound..... especially if you play vinyl through them. 

1 minute ago, S2000 said:

The one thing I love about valve amps is the true difference they give when warmed up, sounds ‘canny’ but they are a warmer and more purer sound..... especially if you play vinyl through them. 

I agree; prior to Lockdowns and shit, Music Evenings were a regular thing. Friends and Neighbours. Neighbours became friends. They actually asked when the next one would happen. They've all made similar comments to yours. 

This did not happen before Valves. Once these magical Firebottles appeared, suddenly Music Evenings became very popular. Could not get rid of the fuckers before the early hours! 

I've found my Amplifier starts to get going after five hours. I am a Luddite, so I have CD; Tape and Vinyl only. 

What I love about this system is the ability to clearly communicate the emotion (s) within the music chosen; it's not unknown for dancing to happen and some pieces of music as well as songs like the one below can draw a tear too:

https://youtu.be/_Tr8Y-y59IU

Solid State doesn't do that for me... 

Each to their own! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

Found whilst looking for something totally unrelated.

Touch up paints.

paints.thumb.jpg.c3b26a6199f1bd97446ebf401ba2e109.jpg

Nothing unremarkable in that, however, Russet Brown (Left) for my 1979 TR7 Part-exed for the 1983 MG Maestro in the same year. That car was only 6months old when purchased.  That was in the Opaline Green (top middle).

Under that is the Flame red of my Rover SD3 /213.  I cant remember exact dates of ownership but It was my first car after many years of company cars. Hence the low power for low insurance costs.  Somewhere in the early 90s. Now on to the right one which is the nearest I could get to Trafalgar Blue. It is for a car I presently own, The 1963 Austin Westminster. I have had that for nearly 20 years and the paint must be as old.

The red still opens and is fluid. The blue just about fluid. The others I cannot get open.