What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Yes I did, a 2000GT no less.  And a decade later I had a Polonez!

My friend's father bought a 2000GT in abut 1978. I can remember saying to my friend as a joke that his father was too old for it(he was probably about 45). And my friend saying "I don't think we'll share that thought with him".

Time slips by, I haven't even seen that friend for nearly 40 years, he married a solicitor's daughter from another town and left Cardiff.

1 hour ago, Rovorsche said:

Anyone in Plymouth handy with a welder and job hunting ?
You can work from home apparently although getting a Frigate home on a roof-rack would be a challenge.

https://www.securityclearedjobs.com/job/801927023/principal-welding-engineer/

Principal Welding Engineer
Location: Devonport, Plymouth (working from home is an option

https://www.securityclearedjobs.com/job/801927022/senior-welding-engineer/

Senior Welding Engineer
SF31997
Devonport Royal Dockyard, Plymouth (working from home is an option, with visits to site required)
Starting Salary: £43,445 - £48,770

I know a Welding Engineer at Rolls Royce.  His qualifications are a  Masters in Material Science. And then a years academic study in welding. 

He Never does the actual welding.  Which is done in an automated vacuum chamber. He decides what experimental settings are required and how the strength of the weld is to be checked (X ray, and ultrasound and electron microscope) and could do most of it at home. 

I had a discussion with him about gasless mig welding. His thoughts "it'll be fine" 

16 minutes ago, robinmasters said:

What's this?

20210301_142346.thumb.jpg.12a171959e7d83cd61c75bbec7a15104.jpg

A bottle opener from Lidl which matches their tools. A toolbox bottle opener. 

Toolbox bottle openers have been a feature of the Wera tool Advent Calendars for some years now. I picked up one some years ago and the white bits on the handle glow in the dark. So if you've plunged somewhere into darkness by accident, at least you can find the bottle opener to break out a beer and have a liquid "Hamlet moment".

Mentioning some potential awful car purchases and showing pictures to my close female friend (girlfriend.. whatever covid gone done the funny thing for the dating shizz) to the response of  "oooh.... I get to drive them right?"

I might have just accidentally found the kind of car I've always lusted after (something completely different to what I should be buying, and very very autoshite), in budget and not a million miles away.

And it's brown.

Potential doing of a buy. Or I might see a glimmer of sense and not buy it, but that'd be boring.

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

"bet you a tenner I can fit this plug without opening it..." would probably be a better way to wonder wtf was going through someone's head than what I imagine was... 

FB_IMG_1614620988177.thumb.jpg.705555379dd6995879b17a88db657d30.jpg

FB_IMG_1614620995290.thumb.jpg.e78b27602474760bfc4deebdc3bc168c.jpg

Do all Bissel’s look like they’ve been possessed by Satan?

Just went to Persley scrap yard in Aberdeen for the first time in 20 years.  

Once we got over the language barrier (I don't speak Doric) I established that the gaffer had some batteries and i could take a look at them, a newish looking 096 would be 20 quid and he wouldn't buy any of my shitty old ones. 

Quite happy with that I mooched around the yard for a bit and got some bits of VW tat.  Went to pay and he wouldn't take anything for them, what a gent.

It's a proper old fashioned yard, you can wander about and get whatever you like, no hassle.  The only concession to safety is you must wear a hi-viz and the cars aren't stacked any more.

TLDR, Persley scrap yard, proper place, still great.

In his account of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922 the following exchange between Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon was recorded;

“...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold - everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.”

It is notable because almost a hundred years later I 'discovered' this glorious man space. I have recorded my thoughts for posterity;

"as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from a fug of WD40 and hydraulic oil, strange welders, oxy acetylene torches- everywhere the glint of oil. Surely here a King* must be found....

7SpUCjS.jpg?1

*King Dick probably