What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 2/7/2021 at 1:04 PM, LightBulbFun said:
On 2/7/2021 at 11:52 AM, JeeExEll said:

Why do traffic cops have to give directions 3 times - 'LEFT LEFT LEFT', then 'RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT'.  It sounds like some form of Tourettes.  Makes you wonder what everyday conversation at home must be like - 'Ok luv, I'm just going round to the SHOP SHOP SHOP for some MILK MILK MILK'.  Bedroom conversation must be a bit strange too, full and clear directions and descriptions (X3) as events occur, best not think about it.

LOL :)

I think thats done just so the directions are crystal clear over even a dodgy radio connection or such

As Lightbulbfun says, it is because they have to stay in contact with the control room where they'll be making the decision whether to continue the chase or not and having what is pretty much an old Nokia to narrate with means that the audio quality often isnt the best...

23 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I wonder if the person filming went to show the old fella that was getting had over 😒

WTF are they actually trying to do? Is that paint they're daubing on with a yard brush or are they scrubbing the tiles? Less Bodgeit & Scarper than Fuckitup & Extortwithmenaces. Someone needs to just tell the owner he needs a new roof as if it wasn't fucked before it is now after the 10-thumbed asshats have stomped all over it.

22 hours ago, Wack said:

I'm sure in the winter €14 an hour would be money well spent renting workshop space

If you get stuck

for €1 a minute a mechanic will step in 

mmmm why he no sprechen Deutsch? Ebay scam now the new  tiktok Titwank scam?

On 2/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, Stanky said:

Great story. My grandmother would have been 100 yesterday, she died some 5 years ago now - she was wrexham’s coronation queen. For George vi!

I bought an old cordless vacuum the other day that came with a massive battery

20210211_211903.thumb.jpg.8ee69f094243e75720a67f02e4293266.jpg

If this is indeed a date code then it's 15odd days younger than me! 

20210211_211303.thumb.jpg.e4e885f0bdd36026bdde9ab56d07f962.jpg

I was planning to fuck about with it as there's no way it's gonna take a charge (it's plugged in now but I'm not holding out hope, 1.1v atm) 

20210211_211121.thumb.jpg.733d7fb247d5655bb483730a693bf334.jpg

Having found and bought a brand battery for £15 delivered I'm not worrying too much either, will be good to keep it original for now. 

Fair play, good luck to him. Does he realise how...idk, just brilliant...he is? Nah, of course not, but I hope people tell him.

6 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I bought an old cordless vacuum the other day that came with a massive battery

20210211_211903.thumb.jpg.8ee69f094243e75720a67f02e4293266.jpg

If this is indeed a date code then it's 15odd days younger than me! 

20210211_211303.thumb.jpg.e4e885f0bdd36026bdde9ab56d07f962.jpg

I was planning to fuck about with it as there's no way it's gonna take a charge (it's plugged in now but I'm not holding out hope, 1.1v atm) 

20210211_211121.thumb.jpg.733d7fb247d5655bb483730a693bf334.jpg

Having found and bought a brand battery for £15 delivered I'm not worrying too much either, will be good to keep it original for now. 

Beware of vacuum cleaners.

At least two of these injuries were caused by a Hoover Dustette, which has fan blades about 15 cm from the inlet. The present patients may well have thought that the penis would be clear of the fan but were driven to new lengths by the novelty of the experience and came to grief.

And on road.cc too ( I did email them the above link, but no idea if they had the story independently).

https://road.cc/content/news/if-you-dont-exercise-you-rust-280895

image.thumb.jpeg.d3d34ff1df4b25ee8a3b5f0d47a2a707.jpeg

Keep breathing,” is the top tip for a long and happy life from 99-year-old Norman Gregory from Cockfield, near Bury St Edmunds. He also goes out on his e-bike pretty much every day.

Gregory first started riding his mother's bike when he was eight years old and was soon doing 100 miles a week riding between his village and his grammar school in Sudbury.

He still aims to ride at least 10 miles a day.

“At 99 you're not physically and mentally what you were when you were 19,” he told ITV(link is external). “If you don't make yourself get up and go out when the weather is okay, physically and mentally you just get worse – so you have to keep at it. If you don't exercise, you rust.”

Gregory’s view of ‘okay’ weather should perhaps be set in context. During World War Two his Lancaster bomber was shot down and he was forced to march through Eastern Europe as a prisoner of war.

"There was a metre of snow and it was the worst winter for 40 years", he said.

"Day and night it was freezing, often blizzard conditions. We marched for 21 days, sometimes we marched all night.

"I had four pairs of socks – two pairs on my feet and the other two pairs were inside my shirt against my body to keep warm.

"I was never, never frightened. The reason I can say that was that I knew all along that I was going to be killed. Because I accepted that fact, I wasn't afraid."

Gregory went on to say that he considered a Dawes bicycle he once owned to have been his most prized possession.

Sadly, he lent it to an Australian crew member, who left it unattended outside a dance, and it was stolen. He seems to favour a Raleigh e-bike these days.

If Gregory does ever come to feel the onset of rustiness, he could do worse than look to Robert Marchand for cycling inspiration.

In 2017, the Frenchman set an Hour record of 22.547 kilometres in a 105+ age category specially created for him by the UCI, and a year later he celebrated his 107th birthday by going for a 20km spin.