What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Looking at a motorbike on eBay with 4 pretty rubbish pictures. Politely (i.e used the word 'please') asked them if they had more photographs and received the world's most helpful single word response of 'No'.

Off to the tip earlier with the Christmas tree - Queuing out onto the main road, so off I go past it to turn around and join the queue. Sat on the main road for 10 minutes or so, as I get closer to coming off the main road, some dick in an Outlander PHEV is waiting  to turn in on the other side of the road. Soon as there's a gap, he cuts in front of by this point about 15 or so cars clearly queuing. Cue a barrage of car horns and shouting. Soon as there's a gap, he's made to turn round and join the back of the queue! Never been so pleased to see someone get their comeuppance.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:43 PM, Markeh said:

Off to the tip earlier with the Christmas tree - Queuing out onto the main road, so off I go past it to turn around and join the queue. Sat on the main road for 10 minutes or so, as I get closer to coming off the main road, some dick in an Outlander PHEV is waiting  to turn in on the other side of the road. Soon as there's a gap, he cuts in front of by this point about 15 or so cars clearly queuing. Cue a barrage of car horns and shouting. Soon as there's a gap, he's made to turn round and join the back of the queue! Never been so pleased to see someone get their comeuppance.

20201211-snake-of-lorries_17650f34bba_original-ratio.jpg.eb50842c382c5c3a27d7b70e696ad4cf.jpg

When they make the lorries queue up like this at Dover, they put a policeman at the end of the road, to send back any queue jumpers. Seeing that happen is very satisfying. 

My Cashcow has been a bit hesitant lately at low revs, something that has been getting worse, along with the fuel economy. I was dimly aware that the plugs and leads were probably getting on a bit (i.e. they should have been changed 50,000 miles ago), but a quick discussion with the nice lads in my local motor factor revealed that a new set of plugs and leads would cost something in the region of £120 quid. As I'm still living in the 90's when a complete ignition kit could be had for 20 quid or less, this involved considerable soul searching. Luckily my cover for going to the shop was a new air filter, which miraculously cured both issues for less than a tenner! Obviously a year of working in dusty quarries had clogged the old one well beyond it's operation capability. 

I suspect the plugs and leads are going to get deferred for a few years.

1 hour ago, warch said:

My Cashcow has been a bit hesitant lately at low revs, something that has been getting worse, along with the fuel economy. I was dimly aware that the plugs and leads were probably getting on a bit (i.e. they should have been changed 50,000 miles ago), but a quick discussion with the nice lads in my local motor factor revealed that a new set of plugs and leads would cost something in the region of £120 quid. As I'm still living in the 90's when a complete ignition kit could be had for 20 quid or less, this involved considerable soul searching. Luckily my cover for going to the shop was a new air filter, which miraculously cured both issues for less than a tenner! Obviously a year of working in dusty quarries had clogged the old one well beyond it's operation capability. 

I suspect the plugs and leads are going to get deferred for a few years.

Surely these don't have "leads" that need to be replaced? Don't pencil type coil packs go straight onto the plugs?

14 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Surely these don't have "leads" that need to be replaced? Don't pencil type coil packs go straight onto the plugs?

Do they? I really don't know, as I haven't owned another petrol car made post 1994*. So just the plugs then? I should point out that I don't think the price quoted was unreasonable for something that needs changing only once in the car's effective working life, but it seemed quite a lot of money to chuck at something that, as it turned out wasn't the problem anyway. 

*edit I did own a 2001 BINI Cooper. That had a single coil pack and old fashioned style leads. Is it cars with a coil per cylinder that don't have separate leads?

2 hours ago, privatewire said:

Spotted this while out for a wander today, apologies for the crap photo, but the idea of somebody finishing their shift and coming home to wave spanners at this bad boy cheered me up immensely 

D95C1D07-4970-4F0D-BE9A-25D8860E0607.jpeg

That hoose looks scottish; whereabouts?

I'm gonna be trying to take some proper* pictures of cars and stuff.

20210105_153544.thumb.jpg.dd6e8c91f352aeafe93d18344bd8a402.jpg

Fixed the foam light seals which had disintegrated (they'd been in there since Jimmy Carter was in office and fared better than he did ultimately), checked the rest of the functions and lenses. Looks pretty good so I bought some film and am gonna go get creative.

In other news, I ordered a replacement master cylinder for the Pontiac today, so that should be here early next week.

Phil