What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

56 minutes ago, PhilA said:

I once had a Volvo registered D701 SWL but I lost it when I parked it in Chichester on a rainy Thursday in Kent.

I had a Land Rover reg D701 SWL that i bought in 1987 BRAND NEW from the 6th owner who quit driving but idk where it is now 

Bodge of the week?

This is the third winter I’ve had my 9-5 which precipitates a major problem the car has had with misting up as soon as the temperature drops below about 5 degrees C at which point the (highly complex) heater deactivates the a/c.

Helpfully you can get the heater to display fault codes, less helpfully it wasn’t displaying any.

Previous work has been around checking various parts of linkage are in place and not snapped off (which is common) and for good measure I replaced the heater matrix none which made no difference.

I had a suspicion that the recirc flaps were stuck shut however the motor for them I had already established was fine leaving the linkage suspect however it looked like the whole heater had to be removed and dismantled to get to it. No thanks.

Today with the prospect of a long journey in cold conditions I finally got around to pulling off the wiper linkage and scuttle to see what was happening. As suspected flaps were firmly closed even when the heater was on demist. 

My fix was a chunk of timber (tanalised for longevity!) wedged and cable tied into position. Finally the car now demists!

I know I will lose some a/c efficiency in the summer but I think I’m calling this fixed.

DD7A4A8F-1215-4215-8634-BE26253394DB.jpeg

God I admire you,  looks like the triple cable tie solution to my gear linkage that kept fucking falling off in inopportune situations like the front of the queue at traffic lights or on blind bends. Since fixed after 5 months with one of those 5 quid ebay retaining clips.

My reason for cheerfulness,  managed to run over 20 miles for the first time ever. It was bloody freezing today like running on the ice planet at the start of Empire Strikes Back, but with more sheep and less wampas. Running is part of my shit car ownership plan, if all else fails I can ditch the wheels and jog to my destination. 

3 hours ago, chaseracer said:

*Axles swing.  Time to give this its annual spin...

image.png

LOL, I drew that!

I did make a good start on doing the @chaseracer fleet for you, but then the whole web application and its database got taken down due to an admin fuckup by the hosting business.  I’ve still got the code for the site but all the vector drawings are lost, sadly, including a number of variants of the AS logo.  Sigh.

What makes me grin?

20 miles of dry,  derestricted, empty Autobahn on Christmas Eve and a 354 bhp car.

Fröhe Weinachten!

Every song on Radio Antenne was a Xmas tune. All in English as well, which I didn't expect. 

Don't take long to get home. 

Have a Happy Christmas you lot, and a Merry New Year. 

LOL, I drew that!
I did make a good start on doing the [mention=207]chaseracer[/mention] fleet for you, but then the whole web application and its database got taken down due to an admin fuckup by the hosting business.  I’ve still got the code for the site but all the vector drawings are lost, sadly, including a number of variants of the AS logo.  Sigh.
Welcome back Captain@Skizzer !

Finally got the hang of balancing the airflow on my woodburner. Logs now burn much longer and hotter (so my thermometers confirm) and takes the chill of the house in the evening.

Also still warm and sunny, so out on the bike to the town to get a few bottles of very good, and cheap, wine

Merry Christmas all!

20201224_131753.thumb.jpg.96353acbcb229d05bbaf5876816b3eb6.jpg

The real cost of Ferrari ownership :D

I read this post on another forum

456’s ”can” be cheap in the short term. But if you keep one for long, and use it, you’re in for financial pain. I remember putting the figures for mine on here a few years ago. I try not to remember, but distantly recall that my daily travelling to/from London/Dorset was cheaper by helicopter than 456...

16 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

Watching the chod in the Carry On Films on ITV. Carry On Behind with a beige Maxi towing a caravan, an early looking mark 3 Cortina in a shade of 'sewage farm' greeny brown and a Land Rover. 

And some fit young actresses too! "Cor Blimey!" 

20201225_154140.thumb.jpg.cc1851f24b20d20be8c68bd4b9515a53.jpg

Quality.