What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

There's this common habit down here where people in usually expensive German cars have to be in front of people who aren't.  The older your car, the more they seem to have to make the point.  They'll often use the turn-right lane at lights to do it too, I've got used to it now and you can generally predict when it's going to happen.  So when a Porsche Cayenne pulled up alongside the Maestro today and I heard it do the stop-start thing I decided to have a little fun.

I know if I've got the Maestro waiting in first gear it's pretty quick from 0-30mph.  I also know the Cayenne has a bit of a delay with the start-stop so that would get me a fraction of a second head start.  I know the gears in the Maestro pretty well too now and there was enough space to get to the end of the double lane before the Cayenne if they didn't do anything daft.  So, keep my wits about me, eyes on the mirrors, and watch the traffic lights.

Lights change and off I go!  I'm already in second before I hear the Cayenne set off and they're now behind me, with a gap big enough to safely drop in between me and the car behind.  The end of the right lane is approaching and the Cayenne is now thundering up to desperately make that overtake because they're definitely not going to drop in behind me.  I'm at the speed limit already, and in 4th, and the Cayenne is showing no signs of changing their mind so I ease off and let them pass so they can safely overtake me before the lanes merge.

The person behind me looked to be having a good giggle about it too, the Maestro really doesn't look like the sort of thing that's going to be able to get out of its own way, let alone jump someone else so well at the lights.  Childish?  Absolutely!  Fair fight?  Not at all, I cheated all the way, it's the only way to win traffic light grand prix.

2 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Lucky you! We had a compulsory Forced Fun Friday on Teams instead... I phoned in sick,

Was actually looking forward to a Chrimbo do, but this virus caper has wiped that idea out.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

traffic light grand prix.

Yup. I just went get groceries. Pulled out onto the highway which was empty. They're changed the intersection now to be a long sweeping curve off the light that makes a long merge lane and ends in a U turn at the end of the merge.

I've got about a mile and a half of road before I make a left to turn down towards the house, and doing about 50 I see a Jeep Grand Cherokee hurtling round the bend off the light being chased by some other SUV (Nissan or somesuch). 

Jeep is absolutely caning it, so I have a childish moment and just before he reaches my rear quarter and stamp the gas pedal into the carpet.

I pull up alongside and grin. Then pass him up- he's pulled the badges off but the 5.7 V8 version gets a different grille to the 3.6 V6 and you can see it in your mirror.

Well, sorry my friend because I've got the 6.4 and I'm happy to give all of those ponies a whip now and then.

It was worth it to see his face. Replacement, displacement etc.

Phil

12 minutes ago, The Moog said:

Walking upstairs in a camping store in blackburn and the steps were fitted with metal strips made out out of old black and white numberplates

Is that place still going? Hells bells - I bought a Cabanon Athena from them 25 years ago - that staircase was rickety back then.

Drove to Ashdown forest for a walk, had a lovely time and took lots of photos. Had a bit of a hoon on the way back too. Some minor* wheelspin was achieved. Lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
Where abouts on the Ashdown did you go? So many nice walks on the forest.

Just now, louiepj said:
3 hours ago, Fumbler said:
Drove to Ashdown forest for a walk, had a lovely time and took lots of photos. Had a bit of a hoon on the way back too. Some minor* wheelspin was achieved. Lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Where abouts on the Ashdown did you go? So many nice walks on the forest.

Carpark named Piglets, it's on the main road but isn't as well signposted as any of the other walks. There were two cars parked up, nearly every other car park was absolutely rammed!

Does anyone remember eBay seller raymanboy, and his repeated, unsuccessful attempts to sell a Chrysler Lebaron and a Honda Spacy scooter at insane prices, using walls of hatstand mad-as-cheese text in the description? Well, I think he's branched out into laptops...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-VAIO-VGN-AW-LIKE-NO-OTHER/123930053552