What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

19 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Went into Robert dyas earlier, and saw one of these in the cheap bin (ex display) 

20201004_125201.thumb.jpg.52c088c87c1935cd6e75f97b0134ea77.jpg

Fancied trying one for ages, so picked it up and once the cheap shit app was sorted, it plays with my Google home nicely, and emits not half bad light either. 

Went on ebay just now and bought 2 more for not much more than the £7 one above, for the 2nd front room and hall light... What a bargain*

I hope they last! interesting to see they managed to cram some semblance of smart tech into such a small space (unless they have a plastic collar?)

these bulbs use a gas heatsink a combination helium and other gases (as helium has a high thermal mass) in the bulb to keep the LED strips/filaments at the correct temperature  

the problem is helium is a really small gas on a molecular level, so if you have a less then perfect glass to metal seal it can leak out over time

and then LED's fail because they are no longer have any form of heatsink

this is generally not a problem if you have been making incandescent lightbulbs for the past 50 years and have the techniques down, but a lot of the Chinese OEM's these LED bulbs are sourced from have not, so you see a lot of early failures sadly

its a shame as otherwise its quite an elegant solution to the fact LED's need heat-sinking and making the bulb look pleasing to the eye (it gets rid of the unsightly and expensive/hard to make metal heatsinks)

and if you are a manufacture of incandescent lamps then you can easily and quickly adapt your production lines over

On 10/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, beko1987 said:

I've just had the strangest parcel... 

No note, but full of hdi fuel and oil filters... 

Either

A - thank you kind stranger (no note) (or I've forgotten a PM) 

B - if someone's put the wrong label on a box PM me! 

Again, don't know who it's from but my spidey senses presume this is a good place to start... 

It's ECP, M8,  probably supposed to be a rear lamp off a BMW 525 for someone in the Outer Hebrides.

On 01/10/2020 at 22:25, Stanky said:

My box of stratocell packaging sheets arrived earlier and I set to in maximum giffer mode drawing round the shambolic contents of my tool chest drawers, followed by cutting out with a stanley blade (like middle school DT) resulted in THIS

IMG_20201001_192543582.thumb.jpg.c83eaada5ddc1bbd42d9b7d33f299d15.jpg

In all 12 drawers. lovely and OCD'd into place and no more rattling around and mixing the sizes of spanner up. immensely satisfying.

A mate of mine had a contract at Rolls Royce Aero in Barnoldswick, and made over 100 of them all bespoke, but made them from three layers of "mat" glued together.  Blue at the bottom, black in the middle, red at the top.  Every hand tool, he had 3D laser scanned, and then he transferred the dimensions into a cad model and eventually into a 3D cnc router, and cut them all out, leaving a blue base at the bottom.  

I think he charged more than a few quid each. 

18 hours ago, Wack said:

Just got this email  , for a second I was wondering what'd I'd done :D

but nothing with my name or vehicle reg on why would they be emailing me 

I'm sure £12.24 buys a decent car where the sender originates from, maybe they though £48.96 was far too much to ask to be serious,  that's a car and a speedboat 

977977278_Screenshot_20201003-191025_YahooMail.thumb.jpg.de9061cd54b656d1f04a14e2dd6bc45e.jpg

Had the same thing last month except the charges were much higher.

20 hours ago, Wack said:

Just got this email  , for a second I was wondering what'd I'd done :D

but nothing with my name or vehicle reg on why would they be emailing me 

I'm sure £12.24 buys a decent car where the sender originates from, maybe they though £48.96 was far too much to ask to be serious,  that's a car and a speedboat 

977977278_Screenshot_20201003-191025_YahooMail.thumb.jpg.de9061cd54b656d1f04a14e2dd6bc45e.jpg

Was there not a thread on this here foro about these penalty notices*?

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

It's ECP, M8,  probably supposed to be a rear lamp off a BMW 525 for someone in the Outer Hebrides.

That's what slightly made me post up, incase some poor fucker is awaiting his many filters with the car up on ramps... 

Otherwise their sat on the shelf in my porch cupboard awaiting another day! 

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Went into Robert dyas earlier, and saw one of these in the cheap bin (ex display) 

20201004_125201.thumb.jpg.52c088c87c1935cd6e75f97b0134ea77.jpg

Fancied trying one for ages, so picked it up and once the cheap shit app was sorted, it plays with my Google home nicely, and emits not half bad light either. 

Went on ebay just now and bought 2 more for not much more than the £7 one above, for the 2nd front room and hall light... What a bargain*

Poundland sell £7 "smart" bulbs

18 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

Poundland sell £7 "smart" bulbs

Would cost me about £17 to drive to Aylesbury, park, then drive back again... They love* the car! (had a shock the other week, the B&q car park that was free for 3 hours and a 10 minute walk had changed to fuck off unless your shopping in this smoll retail park...) 

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

These bulbs use a gas heatsink a combination helium and other gases (as helium has a high thermal mass) in the bulb to keep the LED strips/filaments at the correct temperature

For £7 it probably has a highly specialized heatsink gas containing about 70% nitrogen, a small blend of oxygen and a small volume of other noble gases

I sent a section of exhaust and a manifold for an Astra to a man in Suffolk via MyHerpes.  He contacted me and said it hadn't turned up.  I contacted MH who were useless as ever, and their website just said 'there has been a problem but the parcel will be on its way shortly'.  Buyer was decent about it all and I refunded him - I looked at the claim process and it said about having to have a receipt for the original item.  Fat chance.

I visited a friend and was amazed to see the parcel there in her hallway.  I'd reused a massive box she had and it looked like I'd forgotten to remove the label for delivery to her.  

I sent it again and the buyer still wanted it.  No way to get rich but at least it was all closed off.  I haven't had that many problems with MH really, had more with RM over the covid lockdown.

I had the car out on the driveway, getting ready to go for a drive. I've reached the point where I'm happy driving with the radio on, mostly because the "listening carefully for bad noises" period is beginning to pass.

It would switch on, click, I told my phone to connect to the Bluetooth, it says it did then it wouldn't.. wtf 

Then I realized I was in range of the Amazon Echo Dot that's in the den, on the other side of the window from the car.

My thing is, how the hell did the Dot fight my phone and win?

Fixed that by driving down the street 20 years and trying again. Remembered heat now to disassociate the Dot, only had that for when I was testing the radio on the workbench in here.

Only mild grump to mar this amusement is this is the last of the good weather and SWMBO said no to just randomly going for a Sunday drive, on the account of fuel economy.

Phil

I was driving up Winnats pass today in the Talbot, it's a very steep hill so I was in first gear at about 15mph. It's a NSL road, but most cars would usually be doing 30-40MPH. Obviously the engine was doing some RPM but I have been overtaken by pushbikes when driving up there before.

As I approached a group of walkers, I gave them plenty of room (they didn't need to be in the road TBH), I got waved and shouted at to "Slow down you bloody idiot", presumably because it sounded like I was going fast. 

This is a bit of an odd one. I was searching Google Images for something entirely unrelated when I happened across a picture of a good mate's bike:

3388776112_e87410f378_b.thumb.jpg.46f0b998d330b6d97847646e869d7ce5.jpg

Boo, my mate, died a little over two years ago, aged just 51. Suddenly and unexpectedly. The last time I saw his little Honda CM90 was at his funeral, ridden there by another of his mates. Not gonna lie, the sight of it properly spooked me. The thing that made me grin? Following the link from this picture to his Flickr - which I never knew existed; I met him through riding Honda Super Cubs, and I knew he was fascinated by engineering, especially the sort of blind alleys we enjoy here and, in particular, what we know as shite...

38029321835_03dba98efb_k.thumb.jpg.6adf4241abf779f5b05e51b980d77383.jpg

35454969205_e6e477d973_k.thumb.jpg.c38ec09cf7b6596dc034a8e5d01c5eed.jpg

34450506132_cf0f0a3061_k.thumb.jpg.359a5b233b4894bac7e769a0d49cacfd.jpg

33938677690_0cdde6ebb4_k.thumb.jpg.35f4a8bc3117648eea96b93bb24398ea.jpg

33916259710_62d4db7725_c.jpg.57df34d2623d77587b78e441ba9842bd.jpg

33040589930_05ac219ed6_k.thumb.jpg.94ac512311e83ee1c5403d1ac7becba5.jpg

I did tell him about this place, but he never made it round... I reckon he'd have fitted right in?

flickr.com/photos/boo66

56 minutes ago, Roobarb said:

Ok, I’ll bite Phil. What’s in a gumbo?

We don’t get such fancy dishes “oop north”. 

In short, it's a soup. It has its origins in west African cooking (think Casablanca) but with a French twist.

It's got almost anything of your liking as a meat (andouille sausage, chicken, shrimp etc), but this one's chicken and sausage.

Brown roux, chicken, smoked sausage, green pepper, onion, celery, a pinch of cayenne. Thyme, sassafras and bay to season. Dash of tabasco and cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's). Chicken broth as the base.

Potato salad is easy, just boil potatoes, loosely mash and add diced raw onion, boiled eggs, sweet relish, mayonnaise and a little dijon mustard.

Gumbo served over boiled long grain white rice, potato salad to the side.

Dessert is cake and bouille*.

Welcome to New Orleans.

20201004_180929.thumb.jpg.d78186be67dbdc44c5028c41ba1383aa.jpg

Phil

*Regular sponge cake and French egg custard. Very sweet. Bon.

looking at buying new phone and looking at reviews on amazon and ebay

the amazon ones made me laugh of 5 reviews two were one star

an italian one and a french one with the same complaint

it came with a uk charger (one of them posted a pic)

its on the .co.uk site of course itll be uk specific :lol:

.com itll be usa any euro country itll be two pin

duh

E.L.L.E.  ( Ein Leben Lebe Es)

01882B49-F10B-42F5-809D-C8C9D0E14EFA.thumb.jpeg.d5f10e822a7dc0bb870c3dfa3f04de2b.jpeg

Took the dogs to the woods in the rain, a local green lane crosses the carpark, there’s some pretty deep hollows , one of the biggest actually in the car park. We heard this V8 coming up the lane, obviously having fun splashing through the big puddles...

Made him get out to attach my tow strap. We went back across the lane and I did bottle out of the deepest puddles, must get a snorkel and some chequer plate.

1 minute ago, paulplom said:

My new work light courtesy of @beko1987.

It turns the room from dark into broad daylight. Unbelievable for the money. I joined two together and added 15m  1mm flex with a 13amp plug.

What size fuse should it have?

20201005_100029.jpg

probably a 3A one, to protect the flex :) 

these lights dont draw much power at all

23 minutes ago, paulplom said:

My new work light courtesy of @beko1987.

It turns the room from dark into broad daylight. Unbelievable for the money. I joined two together and added 15m  1mm flex with a 13amp plug.

What size fuse should it have?

20201005_100029.jpg

20201002_093910.thumb.jpg.804fcbc362a86dcac4c011948ed62b61.jpg

I can't look even remotely at mine! Plus side, it makes the dark light! 

Can't comment on the fuse as I cut some mega overkill flex offa shit extension lead so it has whatever it has! 

Have thought of putting a connector in the cable though, it's too much to stick on my cheap tripod. Would be neater to wrap it up somewhere else... 

Infact that's given me an idea... 

23 hours ago, PhilA said:

interesting usa talk

I had the car out on the driveway, getting ready to go for a drive. I've reached the point where I'm happy driving with the radio on, mostly because the "listening carefully for bad noises" period is beginning to pass. - there are more than 4 cylinders how can there be bad noise :D

Then I realized I was in range of the Amazon Echo Dot that's in the den, on the other side of the window from the car.

My thing is, how the hell did the Dot fight my phone and win?

from 40's tech - no problem to 10's - big issue :D

Fixed that by driving down the street 20 years and trying again.

as commented by someone else - did you park next to a 71 plymouth or sumtin?

Only mild grump to mar this amusement is this is the last of the good weather and SWMBO said no to just randomly going for a Sunday drive, on the account of fuel economy.

this gets the biggest WTF also you mean you didnt take her for lunch evil git :D

:D

more videos please (actually go THROUGH the drive in - please)