What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

i'm loving the new bed.

1948365260_2020-09-1715_57_11.thumb.jpg.f5f0b02f8f108a7a7be3e228299b701c.jpg

well its not new, new, but new to me.

my father went and picked it up with the x-trail, didn't think it was going to go in the back but it did!

and it weighs a bloody ton, i know cos i had to carry the bits upstairs before putting it back together. 

its got my old mattress on it, i'm not flush enough to change that  (yet) and the old bed was dragged downstairs, reduced to matchwood, and taken to the tip.

its been a busy couple of days!

I want a new bed frame, my divan is getting tired. That looks very smart, my problem is mine is a 3/4 or something so an double frame will be too big annoyingly

Shame cos I'd like something like that. Would last years if you kept it tight 

On 9/26/2020 at 4:40 PM, gm said:

I was looking out my living room window and couldn't figure out what was wrong - then it occurred to me - the lawn has been mowed.

IMG_2093.thumb.JPG.992765abbfcf260caaf049d1110c1998.JPG

Great, but by who ?

Not me, for sure

Presumably not one of the neighbours as theirs haven't been done.

Who on earth has come round while I am at work and done my garden for me ?

Bit of a weird one :) 

Mystery solved - it was one of my neighbours :) he had been doing his own lawn (which I hadn’t noticed because of a high fence) and had cut the strip of ‘no mans land’ that runs along the path between our houses. As he had the mower out anyway, he nipped over and did my little patch of lawn too.
Then apparently felt a bit awkward, in case I took offence. 
No offence was taken, I’ll buy him a pack of beers to say thankyou :) 

Ah, but the modern way is to take faux offence.  I mean that was a wild flower meadow in the making.   He's murdered all those insects.

My neighbour is inclined to only mow his lawn three times a year, and it brings down the neighbourhood a bit, but his next door neighbours have been doing up a house for the best part of 10 months, which was a btl and they've spent more than it was worth spending. And now they want top dollar. 

I suggested to him over the back fence, that if I were selling that house, I'd be mowing his lawn weekly for him.

I think they are struggling to find anyone to buy it now. Because price sensitive. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-94976924.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-3287921.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/l37-8bt.html

On 27/09/2020 at 06:27, Floatylight said:

The jobs market appears to need serious regulation at present, in our household I've had my wife and both teenagers looking for jobs, many agencies tout for applicants but don't actually have the jobs available and have nothing to do with the recruitment process, complete nightmare filtering out all this dross and fakery to actually find a job worth applying for with an agency that's actually been tasked with finding employee for prospective employer, only one of the tre has found a job and that was because a friend told him they needed someone at her place.  He's been there a couple of months now and it's a nightmare, many breaches of food hygiene, h&s and employment law, such as no staff getting paid annual leave, no lunchbreaks, and new yesterday known breaking covid laws!! But he darent leave as he'll have to go back into the nightmare of applying for non existent jobs and not receiving so much as a confirmation email..

--- 

RANT OVER

I applied for the same job in October, and March with 6 different agencies. 

I've been offered without an interview, in June, and had to pay for my own DBS check and am waiting to be sent a link to the government's security clearance website.  (They have to register you first).  The client wants 200 people, to work on a defence contract, and can't even apply for SC clearance, because the civil service are not going into that office to do any clearances unless a minister of state signs it off. 

I know 3 other people on the same list, waiting. 

First time I've had a lump of beef for a tip. Tightened up a leaky radiator for a local butcher and he gave me the call out plus this.

20200929_090712.thumb.jpg.ca60d23e2073c5be90238fdc50c3328b.jpg

It's the size of a football. He reckons this bit you can't usually buy as it's the bit the butchers get for themselves before they chop the rest up for sale.

Looks amazing.

I bought these for my vacuum videos, to have above the camera so everything's not so dark. I ordered 2 50w ones, and I feel it might be overkill... 

20200929_114110.thumb.jpg.82cd1397351a22ab1d6797b6ef31fc51.jpg

Lobbed a plug on one just now

20200929_122451.thumb.jpg.3b7937af29d267a6b40ba2355b2365bc.jpg

My phone freaked out putting it directly over them, and my eyes hurt a bit now... 

20200929_122448.thumb.jpg.2f28b315633dcd9468d2c32db26912f7.jpg

Might look into a filter for the front. Once the tripod turns up for them though if I buy an ip66 junction box for it all I can use them outside for working on the car in the dark! 

I was given one of these for Christmas. Can you guess what it is?

61siHzjhyOL._SY355_.jpg

It's one of these.

spacer.png

A micro fishing rod and reel.

It was intended as a joke present but in the spirit of habit breaking / living random I thought this was worth a serious go.

I set off to the local burn with some really fine line and tiny barbless hooks. Despite only being wide enough to hop over it has been known to have brown trout. 

spacer.png

Didn't really have any expectations, but I had a massive childish grin on my face trying to cast it in and control the drift between rocks and twigs.

I didn't get any bites but I did see a very convincing plop that was definitely a trout grabbing a fly, right at the edge of this pool under the tree. To be fair I have caught trout up to a kilo in water half this deep. A fish like that will snap this wee rod in half.

spacer.png

Humongous fun, if totally daft. I WILL be going back.

Picture the scene - A curly brunette haired Irish woman is wandering around the house in her pants having just come out of the shower.

The hair dryer goes on. All of a sudden *BANG*

" OW"

I go to look "what happened?"

"I dropped my hair dryer on my head"

10 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I want a new bed frame, my divan is getting tired. That looks very smart, my problem is mine is a 3/4 or something so an double frame will be too big annoyingly

Shame cos I'd like something like that. Would last years if you kept it tight 

that one is a king sized bed, it replaced avery tired divan thing with the draws underneath.

Thomas cat and Tinky had taken to scratching on the corner of the divan, with Tinky making a cat sized hole in it, so, the little swine would climb into,and run about the inside of the bed on a morning as a way of getting us up to feed him.

now however, he can run around underneath the bed without even needing to crouch down!

its made out of a very close grained wood, so i don't think its "pine" but something much nicer! and it took me an age to track it down! there are plenty of beds about, but not many that took my eye.

My '08 daily van passed it's 18 month MOT today with NO ADVISORIES! Since 2011 the only fails have been on tyres, exhaust, bulbs and front pads. Interestingly, the N/S/F wheel bearing slight play advised on the last 2 tests seems to have sorted itself on it's own - and yes, all tests at the same place. 

On 9/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, iainrcz said:

Picture the scene - A curly brunette haired Irish woman is wandering around the house in her pants having just come out of the shower.

The hair dryer goes on. All of a sudden *BANG*

" OW"

I go to look "what happened?"

"I dropped my hair dryer on my head"

40 years ago I had a girlfriend , her mother was a curly brunette Irishwoman , one day she decided the flex on a lamp was too long so thought she’d shorten it , with a pair of metal handle scissors , while it was switched on and she was using the light from it to see what she was doing 

her husband wasn’t much better , hopeless at DIY so I wallpapered the living room , I was up a ladder, lining the paper up at the top , as I smoothed it down the wall I got to a hole in the paper about 4” square , he thought he’d help by cutting out the hole for the light switch , only it was a good foot from where the switch  actually was.

I went to the local shopping park earlier and parked next to a beautifully immaculate 1990 Audi 80, I came back and it was still there and was pondering leaving a note as this area is notorious for coffin dodgers who just scrap their cars. Anyway, an old lady appears and I complimented her on the car and it's condition which she was delighted with and a very long chat ensued , she's had it from new and adored it and it had everything it ever needed.....I asked her should she ever think about parting with it would she take my number which she did as she was very concerned where it would end up when she stops driving.  

I hope a call in a few years time :) it was near factory fresh ... hnnnnnggg

The cheap as fuck tripod came for my cheap ebay 50w Led's, so I wired it up here and there today

20201001_180150.thumb.jpg.e9bdfc4cda6e193a7193b9f05ed45f8d.jpg

Its bloody bright! Want it for filming but I also see the potential for outdoor winter car swearing tasks

Might need a more waterproof switch though

20201001_172242.thumb.jpg.10618e6ea82bdb96fab77ad582f9059c.jpg

Cable taken from this fucking stupid thing

20201001_155627.thumb.jpg.dfef12454918bf469537d61a40be0e77.jpg

@paulplom have yours turned up yet? 

33 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

The cheap as fuck tripod came for my cheap ebay 50w Led's, so I wired it up here and there today

20201001_180150.thumb.jpg.e9bdfc4cda6e193a7193b9f05ed45f8d.jpg

Its bloody bright! Want it for filming but I also see the potential for outdoor winter car swearing tasks

Might need a more waterproof switch though

20201001_172242.thumb.jpg.10618e6ea82bdb96fab77ad582f9059c.jpg

Cable taken from this fucking stupid thing

20201001_155627.thumb.jpg.dfef12454918bf469537d61a40be0e77.jpg

@paulplom have yours turned up yet? 

Fill it with sealant.