What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

Just done 150 miles hooning around the back roads around Stirling.
Found "the Duke's Pass" fucking ace, did it twice it was that much fun.

Maybe, possibly, sort of did a few slides.

Fun in pretty much anything that road.

Also fun, B827 between Braco and Comrie, then to Crieff and up over the Sma' Glen to Amulree and Aberfeldy.

33 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

Just done 150 miles hooning around the back roads around Stirling.
Found "the Duke's Pass" fucking ace, did it twice it was that much fun.

Maybe, possibly, sort of did a few slides.

I once drove the Dukes Pass from Callander end to Aberfoyle in a 535i manual e34 during winter.

Sheet ice all over, new (at the time, she's still here now) Burd in the passenger seat and wheelspin barely above idle in 4th.

Was on the last 1/2 mile found down into Aberfoyle when I spied they had put a "road closed" sign on the carriageway in the other direction.

There was no sign at the Callander end. Mildly skittery.

It's an ace road though - the Burd's Clio 172 is the right size for it and has enough poke for climbing the hills!

had a grin today, thanks to the youngest niece.

thanks to the yorkshire vet, the yorkshire farm and all creatures great and small, Lucy has decided (realised?) that the north riding is the promised land.

well she is living in Grantham, even in the posh bit is i think, crap. and the kids when they were younger "liked" skegness.....

but i've been able to live here all my life,and i won't be living anywhere else! 

anyhoo, watching all farm-vetty things on the telly has  inspired her want to be a vet. (she is 10 i think)

though she won't "do" cows. she WILL NOT be putting her hand up a cows arse! no, no cows, not ever!

1 hour ago, MarvinsMom said:

thanks to the yorkshire vet, the yorkshire farm and all creatures great and small, Lucy has decided (realised?) that the north riding is the promised land.

well she is living in Grantham, even in the posh bit is i think, crap. and the kids when they were younger "liked" skegness.....

but i've been able to live here all my life,and i won't be living anywhere else! 

anyhoo, watching all farm-vetty things on the telly has  inspired her want to be a vet. (she is 10 i think)

though she won't "do" cows. she WILL NOT be putting her hand up a cows arse! no, no cows, not ever!

Calves come out of arses? Never knew that. Good for her, though 

15 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

As long as she remembers that all creatures grunt and smell.

Wandered back from my local early evening with a couple of carrier bags of curry I'd collected from Torquay's finest South Indian restaurant / takeaway, Ritchie's. That's a smile in itself, but when I got home, there were half a dozen pigeons having a serious committee meeting on the roofes and gutters of the various neighbours houses. 

You could see them saying "some bastard has not only painted the eves and beams they roost on (and trust me, my triple section ladders only just reach the eves), but has fitted some "fook off and shit somewhere else anti bird spikes"". Boy they looked indignant, hope another neighbour enjoys them shitting everywhere!

6 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Wandered back from my local early evening with a couple of carrier bags of curry I'd collected from Torquay's finest South Indian restaurant / takeaway, Ritchie's. That's a smile in itself, but when I got home, there were half a dozen pigeons having a serious committee meeting on the roofes and gutters of the various neighbours houses. 

You could see them saying "some bastard has not only painted the eves and beams they roost on (and trust me, my triple section ladders only just reach the eves), but has fitted some "fook off and shit somewhere else anti bird spikes"". Boy they looked indignant, hope another neighbour enjoys them shitting everywhere!

Some friends of ours had a static caravan , next doors was rented out , usually ok but one family were arseholes , up until all hours playing music , after 2 nights of it somebody threw a broken up loaf of bread up there , as soon as it was light they had 50 seagulls on the roof 

14 hours ago, Wack said:

Toyota dealer saves 400,000 mile one owner rover 216 from the crusher

You'll have to type the link out as it won't let me copy n paste it

Screenshot_20200916-174953_Facebook.thumb.jpg.206c76cd6a9d9bd951bee2a5ff814e33.jpg

Four hundred thousand miles!! Thats flipping amazing. Most of these things had fallen apart before 100,000. Must have been mega effort getting that through each MOT with minimal fails/advisories over the years. 

Fair play to the dealer for giving it another chance to live on. 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, dozeydustman said:

Sorting through my inherited stamp collection and I have found this beauty.

769228DC-BC39-45C5-BB21-94951D91E73A.thumb.jpeg.be3f518b5327f7bfe47036d90d93aceb.jpeg

anyone know what the car is (not the model T)

Then I come across this fantastic piece of history.

3E7612C2-85DB-4E81-9577-B5214BCCB5A7.thumb.jpeg.8686eae1c0ff2547e1c7fe721cace13d.jpeg

1392CBFE-E96F-401D-BCED-22FC39B24553.thumb.jpeg.2f94f51c4fcb74e86e834ba89cbd70e4.jpeg

A letter from June 8 1717, someone asking the local Lord or Laird for coal clinker

Doing some rudimentary googling it would appear the writer of the letter came from Leadgate, of which there are at least two - one in Durham and one in Yorks; there is or was a Stow House (There are rental cottages called Stow House cottages) near there so I may contact a few museums and historical society in the north east to see if they have any record back then of local landed gentry. It has got me rather intrigued.

2 hours ago, Stanky said:

Working from home today and my Skype meetings keep getting interrupted by the Spitfire taking off and circling overhead from the airfield 400m away. Trying to get a picture of it thats not potato-cam tastic currently

Sywell ? 

5 hours ago, Stanky said:

Working from home today and my Skype meetings keep getting interrupted by the Spitfire taking off and circling overhead from the airfield 400m away. Trying to get a picture of it thats not potato-cam tastic currently

Pleasantly off-putting.

I live in a village near to Duxford and there is a chap living here who owns a Spitfire, so one flies over frequently.

Never anything but a treat to see them.