What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Glad someone is enjoying the heat, I've been sick as a sick thing the last two days due to it! I really don't thrive in hot weather, I think I may secretly be some sort of penguin.

Anywho, things that make me grin... I'll be taking the MX5 for a hoon this evening when the temperature has fallen to a point where my calves won't be fried like bacon in a pan upon contact with the leather seats, and that's always a good time!

14 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I don't know if it's this heat (which I am not enjoying) or what, but the Lanchester has made the garage smell AMAZING.

Old fuel, old oily dirt, old tyres, old leather and stuffing, old grease... That's the way a garage should smell. Mine has that aroma on warm days too. 

It is good.

41 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Just painted the decking , had a pizza ,the wine bottle is half full , i have a 20 box of twist offs , lots on the phone to watch , and i am up to song 200 out of 526 on my boom box ,  and its going to rain soon and i have swimming trunks on ........  

I’m sleeping on a sun lounger in the Garden wearing nothing but my under crackers tonight........ hoping aliens will abduct a thin fat person surrounded by empty Stella Cans....

6 minutes ago, Rovorsche said:

Had a good session of lightning this afternoon, proper window rattlers with a couple striking close, less than a second so within 330 metres.

Shortly afterwards we were sitting under a creaky gazebo that was just about coping with the weather, sipping beer and finally cooling down

Then a LOT of sirens went down the A34, I predicted the destination exactly, Milton Interchange

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/resources/images/11689600.jpg

What car is it ?

It’s an Australian make I think.

Had a puncture in the Avensis today, not five feet from my front gate. No idea what caused it though.

Drove a few kms to the nearest garage/tyre place. Looked a bit busy even at 6.30pm

The grin is that no one the spoke English, but managed to explain my problem to them in my crap Spanish. Waited a bit and then the fitter sign languaged that he needed my key. Amused the hell out of me watching him get into the passenger seat first.

Put a new tyre on, a brand that I had not heard of, and then charged me €33 all in.

Something must go tits up soon...

28 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Bumped into a bloke in the corridor outside my workshop who fits solar panels.

Casually asked if he had any spare/orphan panels kicking about. Result:

1986306056_2020-08-1308_31_48.thumb.jpg.b3eebec794385ab1aa36a583391d9901.jpg

Brand bastard new, proper 205W panel, not chinese rubbish. £30!

For trickle charging car batteries?

3 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

For trickle charging car batteries?

Most of the stuff in my camper runs off the batteries, even the water heater if needs be. A 200w panel like this will generate more electricity than I use in summer, even with the fridge running, so I can camp indefinitely without running out of juice and probably get away without using any gas. On an overcast day or in winter it won't generate as much, but will still probably account for half of my usage. And yes it'll keep the batteries all brimmed and in good health when the van is stood unused.

On 8/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, twosmoke300 said:

Boot floor check is part of the test . Really grinds my gears when customers leave a load of crap in their cars / seats down / belts trapped etc for mot 

Could that be counted as a fail then? I.E. you are are unable to test/inspect them?

Well that was quick. Sweated my way through a 6-hour apprenticeship interview yesterday and was told that I would hear within 5 working days. I get a phone call at 11 o'clock to say that I'm hired!! Still pinching myself now to make sure this isn't a dream! It took two years but man it's worth it.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:15 AM, PhilA said:

20200811_190242.thumb.jpg.ab9f9f808fe76f386970bb8900177ec9.jpg

Did a proper line-up of the cars tonight.

20200811_190349.thumb.jpg.bd264e860423303792947434d846a053.jpg

They're all parked with their front wheels on the same line in the concrete. The Renault is tiny.

Phil

I'll take the Pontiac (Chieftain?) please.

You can mail it to:

Wish I had a drive big enough,

Bet it gets more looks than any of the others,

Jelly-town,

UK