What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, TataBobu said:

Loved this Maluch since the '80s, when polish couples rode them trough Romania to holidays in (I guess) Turkey/ Bulgaria/ Greece. Always with a really small luggage trailer after them, and filled to the brim with whatnot. For the last 10 years I was looking online for a good one to get from Poland, but somehow whenever one looked good the seller didn't speak English, or  he just sold it, or there was no cheap enough flight. Maybe my post was better fitted for the grump thread? Neah! I still love a Maluch!

Honestly, I genuinely can't imagine how taking family vacations in one of those worked. I tried to sit in the back of mine at one point and gotten quite badly wedged in. Thought I'd need rescuing. Granted, that was with front seats fully back. :D

They're cracking little cars though. Absolutely love mine.

19 hours ago, Mally said:

Spending my after hols quarantine looking at holidays.

Spain November 9 nights H/B £427 all in.  Oh go on then.

Lets hope Tui don't go bust and Boris is in a better mood by then.

I've a week in Benidorm booked for December with TUI. Except it's been widely reported the hotel (Rio Park) is closed until next year. Oh hum!

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If that was the only car available to the family (and generally they were) then it would be made to work somehow. 

True. Just shows how different things are these days.

I mean, my parents had a 126p as well (obviously, pretty much everyone in Poland owned one at some point), and for them it was an upgrade in terms of practicality compared to the Trabant my dad owned before. That said, the 126p is the only car my parents owned that I don't actually remember myself, so I can't say how well it worked as full time family transportation. Oddly, I have some memories of the Trabant that preceded it, but only because the Trabi hung around for a bit longer between different members of my dad's family.

8 hours ago, Borsuq said:

Honestly, I genuinely can't imagine how taking family vacations in one of those worked. I tried to sit in the back of mine at one point and gotten quite badly wedged in. Thought I'd need rescuing. Granted, that was with front seats fully back. :D

They're cracking little cars though. Absolutely love mine.

I don't remember families running trough Romania in 126, but couples. Usually young, under 30.

6 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

I've a week in Benidorm booked for December with TUI. Except it's been widely reported the hotel (Rio Park) is closed until next year. Oh hum!

Likely Tui will move you.

I'm 10 days in Calypso,F/B also reputed to be closed. £800 , because NYE gala meal.

Flying Easyjet, so have also booked Primavera in Old Town £350 BnB 350 euro.

Both are cancellable, I'll decide later on. If the planes are flying that is.

Golf went in for its MOT yesterday.  I have an extension until the 1st of October (my MOT was due on the 1st April - literally the first day that was given the extension, I believe) but wanted to get it done before the rush.  Thought it might need new shocks.  Nope.  100% clean, no advisories.  Brake pads down to about 50% - which isn't bad given that they were last changed 3 1/2 years and 75K miles ago!

I treated the car to an oil and filters change this afternoon to celebrate...

Yeah, I had looked at the price of those and they're freakishly expensive. They don't hold up too well in the wind, either- the non-enclosed ones tend to act like an umbrella when the wind gusts.

I had wanted one to put over the driveway here, to keep the cars out of the sun.

20 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Yeah, I had looked at the price of those and they're freakishly expensive. They don't hold up too well in the wind, either- the non-enclosed ones tend to act like an umbrella when the wind gusts.

I had wanted one to put over the driveway here, to keep the cars out of the sun.

wouldnt that be very scary when you get the kinda wind you do?

3 minutes ago, hairnet said:

wouldnt that be very scary when you get the kinda wind you do?

Yup. The last one the mother in law had was sucked up out of the ground by a tornado and deposited 50 feet away in a mangled mess.

It pulled 8, 2' long concrete bolts out of the ground like toothpicks out of cake.

I can haz Job!

After nigh on seven months unemployment - I was in the process of changing jobs the week that lockdown was announced, and the new job offer was retracted, after I has resigned from my previous role. Fucksticks. 

Must of applied for 300 jobs+ over the last few months, only had a reply from about ten - even rejections, and interviews for two. One I was way overqualified for, and the second gave me an offer yesterday. 

Start on Tuesday.. Now I need to remember how to set an alarm clock!

I was at the bar semi pissed. I lifted my mate up and span round on one leg. Instead of my knee bending forwards as normal, it bent outwards. It fucked all the ligaments and cracked the bone longways underneath. 

I had a full cast on for four weeks then they took it off and put two casts on with a hinge either side of my knee. I didn't need any physio as my knee was bending etc with the hinges.

I remember 1st fixing an extension with the plaster on. It was awkward trying to get up ladders.

The builder I was doing the job for said we had a canny team. I had a broken leg, the joiner had to wear cream, gloves, mask and stuff as he was alergic to saw dust and the plasterer had one eye!