What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I can’t access FB at the moment but I spotted something great on there this morning on my phone.

A lad jumping in his van, driving to Spain (Benidorm to be exact) and driving back with a MINT Metro GTi dragging behind him on an A-frame!!!! He’s pulled it out of a barn, washed the dust off, pumped up the hydragas and set off home, all the way up through France and Spain . Looks like there were 3 of them in the van kipping in the back and taking turns to drive. A real mission. He reckoned he knew it was legally dodgy but worth the chance, which seems to have paid off for him, thinking that he would probably only do it once in his life. The mission cost £2000 including the price of the Metro.

If anyone else wants to check it out its on the ‘cars you don’t see anymore’ group, just posted up this morning. Great stuff.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:11 AM, Jon said:

Was just perusing my business bank account when I noticed 3 repayment had been made to the account from my car insurer. Naturally, I think the Autoshite way and assume the worst and invent the scenario that my insurer has decided to cancel my insurance and isn't this an outrage, etc.

After calling the insurer, they've informed me that they've refunded me 40% of my policy for the 12 weeks of lockdown, due to reduced risk associated with reduced usage of cars at that time.

I'm only paying £12 a month TPFT with windscreen cover on a 2006 Mondeo as it is (could pay less if I bought a yearly policy, too) but I'll take back £14.something or so gladly!

This is not the first time NZ car insurance has made me comment positively on here - it's so much easier to deal with when it isn't compulsory and there's no whiplash claims etc. that the insurers are liable for. 

In fairness to them, Admiral gave every single customer £25 for the same reason (including me) 

In spite of all my woes today, my other half brightened up my day. She does anyway, but today she went to pick up her order from Holland & Barrett, to be met by a surly workman at the door who told her to come back tomorrow as they weren't open yet. Now Claire isn't the sort of person to cause a fuss, but she remarked that the email had said to collect from the 14th July, and at that moment a suited man came round the corner, listened to the situation and went into the shop and picked her whole order from scratch, and also put in a jar of Manuka honey for her trouble. Presumably he was some sort of area manager or something. We checked the website later and the rrp for the honey is 30 quid! 

I absolutely love my honey, so this is a big thing for me, as I've never had Manuka honey! 

IMG_20200728_190722.thumb.jpg.8a61883f1f17f9bedd660c890ddfb09d.jpg

Miss_155 said that she needed to get some apple cider vinegar for a diet she's trying.

I said that that I thought we sold it at work(horse & pet supplies)& it turns out that it's actually cheaper than at Holland & Barrett or similar.

Plus,as a bonus,it will give her a shiny coat ?

10 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

.... a jar of Manuka honey for her trouble. Presumably he was some sort of area manager or something. We checked the website later and the rrp for the honey is 30 quid! 

I absolutely love my honey, so this is a big thing for me, as I've never had Manuka honey! 

IMG_20200728_190722.thumb.jpg.8a61883f1f17f9bedd660c890ddfb09d.jpg

The Manuka honey thing is a bit suspect, IMHO. New Zealand, the only source, produces maybe 1700 - 1800 tonnes a year. Yet 10,000 tonnes gets sold annually worldwide.

There's a scam going on

I was away camping last night with the dog. On a quiet field out near Buxton, next to a little quiet country lane.

After a nice lay in this morning I had a few cups of tea and a bacon sandwich (shared with dog obvs!) and a quick walk round the field before we set off back to work. I heard a "fruity" noise in the distance. A bloody 1987 ERF E14 comes plodding past, fully loaded with aggregate from a quarry, down the hill with the exhaust brakes on and off. What a sound! and to see one of them still working for a living properly warms my cockles and has put me in a good mood all day.

7 hours ago, Remspoor said:

The language on this forum!

Screenshot.thumb.png.96160d060b5cb7783afde12e6b151921.png

thanks for that :) 

It came up a little while ago that the dates in quotes and such like where in the US format, and the mods said they had fixed that but it remained in US format for me, changing the language from, English simplified to English proper fixed it that for me so genuinely thanks :) 

9 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

On account of The Event disrupting normal scholastic proceedings, or just because you're Victorian Dad? 

Victorian Dad for sure. :) It’s either that or send him up the neighbors chimneys...
Unfortunately Roobarb Jnr goes to a special school for kids with bad dyslexia, so anything we can do to keep him working toward normal reading and writing proficiency is something we try to do. He has had a few weeks off and school is 12:30 to 3:30. After that we try and do things with him to make up for the fact that he’s a good kid and know that many of his friends locally are just dossing around. 
This is us two nights ago magnet fishing (apparently someone on YouTube does this so Jnr wanted to find his own treasures - this runs most notable yields were a large metal pipe, a fork and a fishing hook)

BDE6D55F-42DE-4E4F-BCEA-E7E36F46F819.thumb.jpeg.83de8b6faf50cee8bd8ef35faf922b6f.jpeg
53F8CAC8-ED8C-45FB-AC21-6D058817CE5A.thumb.jpeg.2811e775143cc916305e52760085d805.jpeg

I have no idea why there are candles on the bank in the first shot!