What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If that's anything to do with the YouTube channel of the same name, I must find out what they did with their Citroën SM  as it has all gone quiet over there. 

It is, the SM has been in the background of some of the last few updates but hasn't been mentioned. That doesn't mean nothing has happened to it though. 

19 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Have you a vernier to measure the thread? There's bound to be a generic substitute. That said given the retail price it's worth contacting the maker to see if they sell bits.

No I've not got anything to measure it, so it'll be a crap shoot. 

I'll wait until I get paid and see if I can get a replacement part first, I've found another place that does 'spares', then plan B. 

Realised I need the thing assembled properly as the frame sits a bit bent, so the cover isn't on as straight as it should be. But that's fine, it's put away now for another day. 

Sitting on my other chair as I type though, it's mega confy

48 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

No I've not got anything to measure it, so it'll be a crap shoot. 

I'll wait until I get paid and see if I can get a replacement part first, I've found another place that does 'spares', then plan B. 

Realised I need the thing assembled properly as the frame sits a bit bent, so the cover isn't on as straight as it should be. But that's fine, it's put away now for another day. 

Sitting on my other chair as I type though, it's mega confy

Get a small piece of paper and wrap it round the thread. Give it a good squeeze and some slight rotation, and you'll have a perfect sample to take to the hardware shop.

22 hours ago, PhilA said:

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.10e577fea0948016153770b9a9997dc4.JPG

My old man found my old Minolta Zoom-8 cine camera. Battery holder is bad and it appears to still have film in. God only knows what's on the film, I think it was in there when I bought it. 

Know anywhere that develops super-8 film still?

Phil

If the film is Stateside these are long-standing and established. https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/ . If the film is UK based there are places but you are now looking at £20-30 a film to develop! (example https://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/p20/E-6_50ft_8mm_Colour_Reversal_Processing.html ). However you'll need to check the film brand/type as some colour films (inc. Kodachrome) can't be developed anywhere.

Kodak stopped their Super 8 developing included in the cost films in the 00's. The loss of Kodachrome (still and cine) is still mourned in the film photography world.

33 minutes ago, auntiemaryscanary said:

If the film is Stateside these are long-standing and established. https://www.dwaynesphoto.com/ . If the film is UK based there are places but you are now looking at £20-30 a film to develop! (example https://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/p20/E-6_50ft_8mm_Colour_Reversal_Processing.html ). However you'll need to check the film brand/type as some colour films (inc. Kodachrome) can't be developed anywhere.

Kodak stopped their Super 8 developing included in the cost films in the 00's. The loss of Kodachrome (still and cine) is still mourned in the film photography world.

No idea what's in it. I need to get a new battery holder, this one fell apart so I can't put the motor batteries back in to rewind the film.

That film has been in there 30+ years so it's probably turned to goo by now.

1 hour ago, SteersWithThrottle said:

Get a small piece of paper and wrap it round the thread. Give it a good squeeze and some slight rotation, and you'll have a perfect sample to take to the hardware shop.

Fair suggestion but I don't think Ive got anything like that round here. There's a shop like that near work in Marlow, but I'd go in and ask and they wouldn't have it, or used to have it but now don't, seems their usual answer... Or they will have one and want £15.99 for it... 

Feel bad for them as they have been in Marlow for decades and a screwfix opened up nearby 6 months ago... But I know they won't have one! 

Infact I'm being a bit dense... 2 big washers and a sturdy nut and bolt through the middle would clamp it enough... Once it's tight its locked itself against the teeth anyway

And finally for tonight, when the lightning is so persistent and bright that the film you're shooting is in good focus and the thing's had enough time to adjust the exposure and it's as bright as day...

VideoCapture_20200715-221311.thumb.jpg.e151a37a8bf5f2a58cbbab1099b08a9c.jpg

10:15pm.

This is what it would have looked like in Victorian London, illuminated by electric carbon arc lights.

Phil

14 hours ago, PhilA said:

And finally for tonight, when the lightning is so persistent and bright that the film you're shooting is in good focus and the thing's had enough time to adjust the exposure and it's as bright as day...

VideoCapture_20200715-221311.thumb.jpg.e151a37a8bf5f2a58cbbab1099b08a9c.jpg

10:15pm.

This is what it would have looked like in Victorian London, illuminated by electric carbon arc lights.

Phil

impressive shot :) 

however most of the light produced from a carbon arc comes from the incandescence of its electrodes where as most of the light from natural lightning comes from the ionisation of air itself

so Victorian London would not have been all purple as amusing as it would be LOL

So, had to argue the toss over my interweb connection, As I have to do every six months.

Long story short, works out that they (due to a company  they took over that I had a contract with - which they cannot annul) Generally owe me £25.00 per qtr as per old T&C .

So, I ranted on, posting on social media (as they start to listen then)

And  the generic voice for press [1] press[2] happens to belong to a mate of mine, unbeknowst to me. 

He saw this rant, and called me (in generic voice) and demanded more presses of [1] [2]

I swore and hung up.

He called back and explained. 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

impressive shot :) 

however most of the light produced from a carbon arc comes from the incandescence of its electrodes where as most of the light from natural lightning comes from the ionisation of air itself

so Victorian London would not have been all purple as amusing as it would be LOL

You know this, I know this. However, the temperature of a carbon arc at the electrode is close enough. A carbon arc puts out a bit more red, it's true but the color to the naked eye is fairly close.

16 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Can't afford Thule roofbars? No problem.

ny72149438_10158818274769325_2120653094676070400_o.jpg.81e99971d86155c41ece8e597fa0eb1d.jpg

Where do you get them?  May need some like that.

I seem to have bought a Civic and now find that there don't seem to be any roof racks for the ones with a skylight.

Have two pair of ladders that need transporting around occasionally.

I went to tell the mechanic I use that I'm not going to bother trying to get the C5 through its MOT and had seen a Mazda - he said would I be interested in that and pointed to the Civic £500 more but right on the doorstep and he is trustworthy and never seen to be a robber, so agreed to it - but it has taken 24 hours to get a 'faster payment' through to him.  The bank didn't like me spending all that money :(

May do a collection thread.  A three mile drive from his to mine.

Two pints and a curry in my favourite pub garden.  First draught beer since February.

And  afterwards, Mr & Mrs Giffer polishing a pristine white Triumph Acclaim in the carpark.  Full set of Autoglym, posh dusters, special buckets, the lot.

All is well with the world...

5 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

3 miles = video collection, pictures just won't do! 

No roof rack = sofa cushions on the roof and ratchet straps through the doors/windows ??

My eldest just arrived and says he bought some for his car - Leon Cupra with a skylight.  £15 from Homebase.

No way of making a video, deliberately avoided as I can't stand 'home videos'