What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Want.  Ideally not in Stelios orange.  I might pull the trigger on one of these as they look marvelous and a great cause too.

I think it's a great idea, and as bike prices go it fairly reasonable.

He wanted bright so it can been seen easily. 

You can option the bike aswell, he went for the front basket and saddle bags!  

I believe he has purchased a different crank and sturmey gear elsewhere as the gearing is a bit low for uphill apparently according to posties and owners.

I've suggested he names it the "loyal snail"

1 hour ago, Rovorsche said:

Looks like a sturdy bike, that would also mean its heavy as well ?

Indeed it's rather weighty.

The bike plus it's 6 foot plus and probably 15 stone rider , makes the drum brakes purely cosmetic I've been informed.

Good job he hasn't just moved into a house on one of the steepest hills in Luton last week . . . 

Ohh.

Told him to watch out for any abandoned ramps on the way down.

Screenshot_20200626-103958.jpg.8aefd2899481b000ea535cba68e3a4e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

Indeed it's rather weighty.

The bike plus it's 6 foot plus and probably 15 stone rider , makes the drum brakes purely cosmetic I've been informed.

I didn't find that; you couldn't take the piss with the brakes, they aren't discs but as long as you kept to a speed appropriate to the amount of load(if I had 30kg of mail on I took it easy, at the end of the walk with no load I could pretend to be Eddie Merckx coasting downhill and not die horribly at junctions.) they were fine. They do also need adjusting, especially when new and bedding in; allow them to go out of adjustment and they became ornaments.

13 minutes ago, omegod said:

Just been following a twitter thread on american views of British food, the comment" The British cook as though the Luftwaffe is still overhead" tickled me somewhat 

From the country that brought us grits, cheezwhiz and BBQ sauce that's pretty rich mocking other countrys' food.

14 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I didn't find that; you couldn't take the piss with the brakes, they aren't discs but as long as you kept to a speed appropriate to the amount of load(if I had 30kg of mail on I took it easy, at the end of the walk with no load I could pretend to be Eddie Merckx coasting downhill and not die horribly at junctions.) they were fine. They do also need adjusting, especially when new and bedding in; allow them to go out of adjustment and they became ornaments.

Cheers, I'll pass that on. 

Some brake tweakage needed then.

59 minutes ago, Rovorsche said:

My company card bounced at the short stay car park at either LHR/LGW a very long time ago so I was stranded there for a bit.

While I was waiting for somebody to come from the office and pay for my parking, rather a lot of Fire appliances pulled out into a formation next to the runway and I got to see Concord taking off.
It was awesome.

When the noise died down, I noticed every single car alarm in the car park was going batshit.
So if you were ever stranded there with a flat battery, this may be why.

About 15 years ago I was taking a break in a petrol station next to the runway at heathrow , I'd watched a few planes take off , by the time they got to where I was they were well airborne , a few hundred feet or so 

I didn't know concorde was taking off until I heard it coming , I was looking up but it was still firmly on the ground flat out with the afterburners on, it needed all of the runway to get in the air.

It was a sight I'll never forget , I can still see it now , British & French engineering at it's best ,designed by men in brown suits with drawing boards

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

My company card bounced at the short stay car park at either LHR/LGW a very long time ago so I was stranded there for a bit.

While I was waiting for somebody to come from the office and pay for my parking, rather a lot of Fire appliances pulled out into a formation next to the runway and I got to see Concord taking off.
It was awesome.

When the noise died down, I noticed every single car alarm in the car park was going batshit.

Yup,I used to work at the cargo village at LHR.Without fail everyone stopped what they were doing to watch her take off.I so so miss Concorde.

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

The first car they show had me chuckling away.

Some excellent chod on show but the presenter hasn't got any less annoying in the last 20 years.  Its worth avoiding buying a cut and shut car but not because the 2 ends are stolen ?

Bonus FSO Polonez on the Heathrow approach though.

2 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

Some excellent chod on show but the presenter hasn't got any less annoying in the last 20 years.  Its worth avoiding buying a cut and shut car but not because the 2 ends are stolen ?

That Avenger afterwards as well. The suspension was virtually nonexistant! Great catch on the Polonez too, I was trying to figure out what it was! To be honest, I find his narration to be a breath of fresh air... Perhaps it's because I don't watch television anymore.

There's a whole lineup of old PCA episodes on the channel, plenty of prime chod to look at, that's for sure.

watching bangers and cash

barn find early marina 3 door - the chap gets there and is taking it off the trailer and keeps repeating one owner never welded unrestored

'gearlevers a bit short'

gearbox is in the boot ?

sd1 3.5 and at least matthewson was complimentary :D

but still slagged bl in general :D

48 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

What's the Subaru thing laying down the smoke screen near the beginning?

14 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

It was awesome.

I was at a Goodwood Revival a few years ago when the Battle of Britan Lancaster flew over, very low, it made the ground shake and also set off countless car alarms