What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, 1duck said:

where you promptly frisbeed the disc into the general waste container?

You've just reminded me of when I last took some rubbish to the tip, and included among it were a pile of old, chipped plates.  I asked the guy there "Do these go in the rubble skip?" and when he confirmed I said "Right, I'm going to enjoy this" and proceeded to play Frisbee with all the plates watching them very satisfyingly smash to bits in the skip.  I think the staff enjoyed watching too!

1 hour ago, 1duck said:

where you promptly frisbeed the disc into the general waste container?

Nope. DJ agila played a top quality impromptu hour long set courtesy of the premium audio in the ex spec civic to the enthralled crowd.

Favourites were Rita Oral who went down well and Miley Cyrus. 

Not forgetting x factor legends Sam Bailey and Rebecca Ferguson.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

You've just reminded me of when I last took some rubbish to the tip, and included among it were a pile of old, chipped plates.  I asked the guy there "Do these go in the rubble skip?" and when he confirmed I said "Right, I'm going to enjoy this" and proceeded to play Frisbee with all the plates watching them very satisfyingly smash to bits in the skip.  I think the staff enjoyed watching too!

I've done that too and it was the most fun I've had in ages. I gave some side plates that were also ancient and chipped for my daughter (10) and told her to go mad, she couldn't believe it. I frisbee'd the first dinner plate and it smashed into a million pieces and she started throwing them like a ninja with shurikens. Was a brilliant afternoon out!

6 hours ago, Pieman said:

I've done the same but with rocks and toilets that are in there not smashed/intact glass doors... 

Dropped our old 60l cracked fishtank in from a height too, that was amazing! 

On 6/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, PhilA said:

That's not bad. I need to ship a car at some point. It's small (Healey Sprite) but isn't roadworthy but does run and stop and steer.

I presume non-runners get charged a pain-in-the-ass fee?

Sorry for the huge delay in replying. On a bit of a road trip for work. 14 1/2 hrs driving on Sunday. Got the return on Thursday. Minnesota to Colorado and back!

I contacted Kingston’s and have been pretty happy with their quotes. I’m sure non-running will be a premium, but not sure if it will be much. 
Make sure you have all your registration docs and that the car has the original chassis and engine (or one of an identical type).

Also make sure there’s no soil on or in it. Don’t fill it with spares either as the customs will want to inspect them and charge you storage until they get around to it!

On 6/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, wuvvum said:

I'm off to Somerset in the morning to visit my parents.  Haven't seen them since Christmas, and apart from a brief foray over the border to Bury St Eds to pick up a pushbike I haven't been out of Norfolk for over three months.  I'm properly looking forward to it.

You chose the wrong weekend to go over here! Weather was crap for the first time in a long time. Really nice out here today now! (Probably the same for the rest of the country too)

Incidentally. I've recently found out that quite a few people off AS have a connection to this part of the world.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:25 PM, PhilA said:

I enjoy SiC's musings on his MGB, and the most recent video was good- everyone loves a good cold start video.

So, I felt compelled to do my own, a tribute to an MGB cold start.

*grin*

--Phil

Haha. You had it easy in 30+ degree weather!

Admittedly I suspect a B-series still would take a fair bit of cranking after laying up. 29C here tomorrow and Thursday ... maybe it's a perfect excuse to go pull it out for a spin and see how well it starts in this weather. ?

On 6/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, PhilA said:

That's not bad. I need to ship a car at some point. It's small (Healey Sprite) but isn't roadworthy but does run and stop and steer.

I presume non-runners get charged a pain-in-the-ass fee?

How much do you reckon needs doing to get it sorted a bit more roadworthy?

You're welcome to use my garage in the future if you need to do some prep work before shipping it out. Wouldn't be too difficult to get it properly transported here if needs be.

By the time that comes I'll hopefully have a scissor lift and a decent garage door, so work will be easier. Also with Moss in the centre now expanded (Feeder Road now), more parts are available on the shelf without having to wait for them to be moved between branches. Guess that is going to be cheaper + quicker to get what you need here than when it's back in the states. Even at Moss prices! (They do have 12 months return policy on parts handily too)

Just remind me when you get closer to doing it if you need any assistance. Even if you just need someone on the ground in the UK to be the ears and eyes. I guess probably going to be a few years time frame?

57 minutes ago, SiC said:

How much do you reckon needs doing to get it sorted a bit more roadworthy?

You're welcome to use my garage in the future if you need to do some prep work before shipping it out. Wouldn't be too difficult to get it properly transported here if needs be.

By the time that comes I'll hopefully have a scissor lift and a decent garage door, so work will be easier. Also with Moss in the centre now expanded (Feeder Road now), more parts are available on the shelf without having to wait for them to be moved between branches. Guess that is going to be cheaper + quicker to get what you need here than when it's back in the states. Even at Moss prices! (They do have 12 months return policy on parts handily too)

Just remind me when you get closer to doing it if you need any assistance. Even if you just need someone on the ground in the UK to be the ears and eyes. I guess probably going to be a few years time frame?

No time frame right now other than really "Chieftain finished and running" being the major stopping point in proceedings (money notwithstanding).

Appreciate the offer though. It would probably drive there in the dead of night lol.

Mind you, my old man said he had issues last time he tried to get it running. I need to go visit them once all this nonsense is over with and see anyway.

Roadworthy.. needs the dampers seeing to, a bit of rust, the engine smokes and the brakes are 100% shagged.

Phil

No time frame right now other than really "Chieftain finished and running" being the major stopping point in proceedings (money notwithstanding).
Appreciate the offer though. It would probably drive there in the dead of night lol.
Mind you, my old man said he had issues last time he tried to get it running. I need to go visit them once all this nonsense is over with and see anyway.

Roadworthy.. needs the dampers seeing to, a bit of rust, the engine smokes and the brakes are 100% shagged.
Phil

I'm sure you'd get it running smoothly again in under an hour. It's only an A-Series after all. A bit of fuel, some sparks and rotational movement to make them happy running.

Brakes would be the interesting* bit when going back down Rhodyate Hill though!

Definitely need a meet up when you're next over though.

3 hours ago, SiC said:

I'm sure you'd get it running smoothly again in under an hour. It's only an A-Series after all. A bit of fuel, some sparks and rotational movement to make them happy running.

Brakes would be the interesting* bit when going back down Rhodyate Hill though!

Definitely need a meet up when you're next over though.

Absolutely!

There's a few nice pubs you might not know about that are an excellent Sunday drive away.

Though, when I say it smokes, think about Greenpeace demonstrations and people calling the fire brigade helpfully. It's Del Boy's Van levels of oil burning. The guides and rings are toast. It's done 156,000 miles on them and an A gets smoky past about 70k...

Almost this bad. 

Phil

5 minutes ago, omegod said:

Anyone seen this before ? Micros getting  transported to Africa Sans roof which gets rewelded at the other end ? 417C087F-B7DE-4700-9D7D-8F898088A58F.thumb.jpeg.a8aef7ac7ed8f838aacc07c9ff4e2c25.jpeg

I’m amazed. So the cost of cutting, stripping the interior and re welding the shell is outweighed by shipping three and not two cars in the same space?

1 hour ago, omegod said:

Anyone seen this before ? Micros getting  transported to Africa Sans roof which gets rewelded at the other end ? 417C087F-B7DE-4700-9D7D-8F898088A58F.thumb.jpeg.a8aef7ac7ed8f838aacc07c9ff4e2c25.jpeg

Never seen that before. Lorry going with them in assume. 

Couple of years ago the Girlfriends neighbours were always buying shite and taking out to Zimbabwe etc etc, some old onsite generator trailers piled into the back of an ex luton council b reg daf with zero tyre tread left was quite the site to see. Bunch of Africans turned up and lifted them into the tipper bed. 

Despite not being far from Newcastle airport, we rarely wee any air traffic here, there used to be a heavy transport 'plane late on a Thursday night but haven't head that for years.

Something huge and heavy flew over yesterday.  Spotted this this morning.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/huge-military-airbus-set-fly-18463918?fbclid=IwAR2yph2PbnYmBbJWhEOAuMoU8NC_QFrW8YRgK4ORN-UBSyUY3Ey-G-PPGwA

0_HBR_BRI_240919-airbus-a400m_02.jpg

12 hours ago, omegod said:

This is much the same method that car thieves used in the '90s when they were nicking cars and shipping them off to Africa. Cut, stack and pack into a shipping container.

When they ran out of Peugeot 505s and Renner 21 Savannas, they moved onto higher-end cars... 

2 hours ago, myglaren said:

Despite not being far from Newcastle airport, we rarely wee any air traffic here, there used to be a heavy transport 'plane late on a Thursday night but haven't head that for years.

Something huge and heavy flew over yesterday.  Spotted this this morning.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/huge-military-airbus-set-fly-18463918?fbclid=IwAR2yph2PbnYmBbJWhEOAuMoU8NC_QFrW8YRgK4ORN-UBSyUY3Ey-G-PPGwA

0_HBR_BRI_240919-airbus-a400m_02.jpg

I had one of those fly over my house a couple weeks ago. They're giant things.

Riding my bike down a quiet country lane last night -  I saw a middle aged woman getting f***ered on the reclined front seat of a Birmingham registered Mk4 Ford Mondeo.  Not being particularly fit I wasn't going very quickly, so it was easy to see what was going on.  Neither of them saw me as her eyes had rolled back further than Asda's prices and he seemed to be sucking on her neck at the same time.

Lucky bastards.