What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

41 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I'm off to Somerset in the morning to visit my parents.  Haven't seen them since Christmas, and apart from a brief foray over the border to Bury St Eds to pick up a pushbike I haven't been out of Norfolk for over three months.  I'm properly looking forward to it.

no getting wazzered on scrumpy boi :D

For RORO you are looking at $840 for a small car at the moment. 
Shipping out of the UK is $150 for destination charge and then tax upon landing. 
I can’t imagine it would be much more going back the other way (US to UK). 

Don’t ask me how I know as the wife will kill me ;) 

Let's say, for arguments sake, you drive your scabby Transit into the back of a new A3 in front of a queue of people waiting to get in a shop. Let's say you drive through a red light on the wrong side of the road to get away. Please remember to check your wing mirrors for police riot vans immediately behind you first, otherwise you might find things get quite shouty quite quickly. 

1 hour ago, Roobarb said:

For RORO you are looking at $840 for a small car at the moment. 
Shipping out of the UK is $150 for destination charge and then tax upon landing. 
I can’t imagine it would be much more going back the other way (US to UK). 

Don’t ask me how I know as the wife will kill me ;) 

That's not bad. I need to ship a car at some point. It's small (Healey Sprite) but isn't roadworthy but does run and stop and steer.

I presume non-runners get charged a pain-in-the-ass fee?

5 minutes ago, Agila said:

I saw this yesterday at Speke. Apparently it's a BAC mono. The guy had the helmet on and trade plates on it. Looked and sounded ace at only 30mph in traffic on a dual carriageway.

If you fancy one prices start at £165k. 

24-bac-mono-2018-otr-front.jpg

BAC have permission to use a runway at Speke airport for testing these, very high quality product 

Just had a 110 mile B road blast in the mx5 this afternoon around Northumberland. Blaydon, Prudhoe, Corbridge, Hexham, Chollerford, Rothbury and even Newbiggin. I might have hit 100 at one point which would equate to 5250 on the rev counter if I did. Over 20°c everywhere. One of my favourite drives ever.

Here it is waiting for ice cream in Rothbury.

652a7528205318921606c25c33d70bfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, angle said:

Let's say, for arguments sake, you drive your scabby Transit into the back of a new A3 in front of a queue of people waiting to get in a shop. Let's say you drive through a red light on the wrong side of the road to get away. Please remember to check your wing mirrors for police riot vans immediately behind you first, otherwise you might find things get quite shouty quite quickly. 

Is this a confession ?

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

Just had a 110 mile B road blast in the mx5 this afternoon around Northumberland. Blaydon, Prudhoe, Corbridge, Hexham, Chollerford, Rothbury and even Newbiggin. I might have hit 100 at one point which would equate to 5250 on the rev counter if I did. Over 20°c everywhere. One of my favourite drives ever.

Here it is waiting for ice cream in Rothbury.

652a7528205318921606c25c33d70bfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I do miss my one, last I heard it was being discharged from Snagglepusses Hospice for sick and dying vehicles, hopefully still alive ???

1 hour ago, camryv6 said:

Is this a confession ?

Afraid not, I was in the queue. Having said that, a few years back my dad took my brother's (Sorn, uninsured) car for a quick pre-MOT test run to the end of the road and back, and managed to u-turn at the roundabout in front of an unmarked traffic car, which was... expensive. 

After three years of searching for a set of steels for the Capri at sensible money and not in Antarctica or Siberia, or when I am skint, and after moaning about the rain stopping play on the Capri this morning, I look on Gumtree to see a set 20 miles away for less than half what I have seen a set for in the last few months. 40 minutes later and they are safely in the back of the wife’s 500 (the v70 is SORN at mo). The last piece in the puzzle to get it back original.

My wife's mate has has a transit camper for a couple of years, it's a bit of a lashup from old caravan parts she bought off some bloke. 

She asked if I could fit her a new leisure battery because the lights don't work inside anymore. Apparently they worked for about a week after she bought it and not at all since.

image.thumb.png.7dd25b7e7bc5754e0cb301004ef04a90.png

Now I've seen some lashups in my time, but I reckon this is the worst in 20 years of wiring vehicles. 

image.thumb.png.bd219421776971de850144bc0b3bdf5a.png

The only fuse I can find is wired across the battery terminals, and is of course, blown.

Luckily, all this lashup has no way to actually charge - there's no split charger or connection to the engine in any way, the only thing stopping it from being on fire is that the battery has been at 0V for the past few years.

So yeah, my weekend is ripping all that lot out and sorting it.