What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

the old git was watching millionaire

went to make tea and she said do you know which came first tt le mans monaco and indy 500 (she was reading the paper)

err tt indy le mans monaco after about 3 seconds

youd have won a million quid

ive never watched millionaire with clarkson in it

1 minute ago, hairnet said:

the old git was watching millionaire

went to make tea and she said do you know which came first tt le mans monaco and indy 500 (she was reading the paper)

err tt indy le mans monaco after about 3 seconds

youd have won a million quid

ive never watched millionaire with clarkson in it

Wife got it straight off, but said she wouldn't have gambled £436,000 on it 

These are tool 18G 1301 and I've been after it for a few years.  They are a camshaft clamp, and you use them for setting the clearances when you've done any valve work, or when you're doing routine maintenance.  Because of the design of the O series engine you can't just take the rocker cover off to adjust the tappets, it's shims and buckets nonsense, and these are the only tool that really allows you to do it properly.  I've been looking for one for so long I just paid what was being asked, no haggling, and I'll likely use them once and then stick them in a drawer never to be used again, it's one of those tools.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.41dea2911c6933650fb2aeba14999bab.jpg

They feel nice too, there's just something satisfyingly tactile about Old Things.  So much so that I'm considering getting an old manual micrometer rather than a new digital one, just because it'll feel much nicer to use even if it is a little more fiddly to read.  Really nice old tools that don't require batteries aren't really any more expensive than brand new ones that do, either.

Found this amusing. You would imagine a lot of Eastern European pop-musicians would drive around in Mercs or Bemmers, however I discovered that the lead singer of the Ukrainian band "O. Torvald" drives around Kiev in a Gold '79 Granada 2 door out of all things. Now this is class:

41_main.jpg.89c6f18a4e807c2940d2004a1a14b3e4.jpg

https://strana.ua/news/66741-colist-o-torvald-vodit-zolotistyj-retro-avtomobil.html

Sorry if this doesn't interest anyone, but I do like a pre-facelift Granada Mk2.

6 hours ago, vulgalour said:

These are tool 18G 1301 and I've been after it for a few years.  They are a camshaft clamp, and you use them for setting the clearances when you've done any valve work, or when you're doing routine maintenance.  Because of the design of the O series engine you can't just take the rocker cover off to adjust the tappets, it's shims and buckets nonsense, and these are the only tool that really allows you to do it properly.  I've been looking for one for so long I just paid what was being asked, no haggling, and I'll likely use them once and then stick them in a drawer never to be used again, it's one of those tools.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.41dea2911c6933650fb2aeba14999bab.jpg

I assume these would also work on a Perkins Prima ?

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

They feel nice too, there's just something satisfyingly tactile about Old Things.  So much so that I'm considering getting an old manual micrometer rather than a new digital one, just because it'll feel much nicer to use even if it is a little more fiddly to read.  Really nice old tools that don't require batteries aren't really any more expensive than brand new ones that do, either.

I have one here with the government arrow on it, came from a WD factory I believe.  Belonged to someone my dad knew.

AA140041.JPG

8 hours ago, myglaren said:

I have one here with the government arrow on it, came from a WD factory I believe.  Belonged to someone my dad knew.

AA140041.JPG

It'll be Moore & Wright or one of the other sheffield toolmakers; if you can get a better picture the emblem on the foot will probably ID it.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

It'll be Moore & Wright or one of the other sheffield toolmakers; if you can get a better picture the emblem on the foot will probably ID it.

Agreed, crap photo.  Too much glare with flash so a handheld no flash photo taken.  Must try harder,

It says "Chesterman Sheffield No. 77074".

It is nice and solid compared to the admittedly cheap digital ones I have but very hard to read even with my 'best' specs on :(

Rabone

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Agreed, crap photo.  Too much glare with flash so a handheld no flash photo taken.  Must try harder,

It says "Chesterman Sheffield No. 77074".

It is nice and solid compared to the admittedly cheap digital ones I have but very hard to read even with my 'best' specs on :(

James Chesterman & Co merged with John Rabone & Sons in 1963, becoming Rabone Chesterman.

14 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

hey hey kids! look what i found......

spacer.png222781045_2020-05-1415_13_07.thumb.jpg.aad253fd1488d0f9e9f6ff67a42a8e7e.jpg

bet some of you dunno what it is.

depressingly i'll have bought that new, possibly from Our Price.

i'm feeling old now.

My cousin actually had that tattooed on his shoulder back in the day. His only tattoo. Stupid fucker.

It'll be proper blurry and especially wank now.