What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

16 hours ago, Joey spud said:

..... re found a pool ball gear knob i bought from a lad off here a few years back.

I got it for my Subaru but it didn't feel right so i put it somewhere safe and i found it again today and it fits my old Hiace just right.

20200414_162240.thumb.jpg.100f60f57acd6cbe7a6c57925d126f77.jpg

First time I've seen a gearknob that goes up to "11"

The public library where I live has purchased access to Haynes All Access Online Manuals!

Which will make for great fettling during the lockdown period.
And I always like to have a browse on Haynes to see what a car is like to service/maintain/repair if it's a potential purchase option (Post lockdown, of course).
So this is a double win!

Have public libraries in the UK done this yet?

2 hours ago, TooManyPeopleMovers said:

The public library where I live has purchased access to Haynes All Access Online Manuals!

Which will make for great fettling during the lockdown period.
And I always like to have a browse on Haynes to see what a car is like to service/maintain/repair if it's a potential purchase option (Post lockdown, of course).
So this is a double win!

Have public libraries in the UK done this yet?

No. They closed. 

According to the recruiting agents of the 10s of thousands of britons who expressed interest via the various web portals perhaps 10k in total have so far signed up; the sticking points seem to be length of contract(people don't want to commit to 8 weeks+; this seems like an oversight on the part of the recruiters, someone picking for 4 weeks is better than nothing), the hours(people used to doing 40 hour weeks reluctant to do 60+) and in some cases the need to live on site due to remote locations. If the farmers can't get pickers they go broke and the food rots in the field.

41 minutes ago, Bren said:

Mucho vitriol on soshal meedia about 100+ romanians coming into the UK to pick fruit. Quite a bit of blood pressure going up on twitter - I suggested the formation of a new political party.

It will be called UPIK.

One upside to asking permission to buy a rotten car for the other half is that he's said to spend the money on the existing cars.  There's not really anything else I can get for the BX at the moment because the bits I would get for it just aren't out there and aren't important, so it's time to throw money at the Princess instead.  It feels a bit extravagant to be spending so much really.  New carpet, new chrome bits, some new engine bits, money put aside for the suspension re-gas once the World Event finishes, and I'm on the hunt for the right shade of vinyl dye for the spare door cards so I can match them to the carpet and cut down on the amount of black inside the car.  The seats might also get a partial retrim to put some red into them so they're not so black too, probably just reface them in red velour instead of black and keep all the black vinyl original, shouldn't be too difficult.  It's all very exciting.

EDIT:  found some red dye I like from vinyldye.co.uk so I've ordered enough to hopefully do all four spare sun-faded door cards.  Exciting~

37 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

According to the recruiting agents of the 10s of thousands of britons who expressed interest via the various web portals perhaps 10k in total have so far signed up; the sticking points seem to be length of contract(people don't want to commit to 8 weeks+; this seems like an oversight on the part of the recruiters, someone picking for 4 weeks is better than nothing), the hours(people used to doing 40 hour weeks reluctant to do 60+) and in some cases the need to live on site due to remote locations. If the farmers can't get pickers they go broke and the food rots in the field.

I saw that.  All they have to do is offer a range of shift options from mornings 3 days a week to 60 hours over 6 days and other options with some sensible hours in between, and they'd  be sorted.  Its not hard to change from "because thats what we've always done, to oh lets change and see if we can survive" 

13 hours ago, TooManyPeopleMovers said:

Even the online services? 

Our public libraries here in New Zealand have closed their physical branches, but the "Online Libraries" are still open, and in some cases expanding. 

Erm no idea.  The last library I went in, had computers for people to use, books, DVDs and maps and a council desk.  I went to talk to them about council tax. 

4 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

What is this Tiger King thing anyway? There's no streaming onboard due to shit satellite intertubes so the only knowledge I have of it is a series of opaque memes on livre d'visage.

As far as I can tell, he’s in prison for killing someone who said he was mistreating animals.