What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Had a significant birthday yesterday. Local Japanese restaurant was open for takeaways and we needed a bit of milk etc so that gave me a reason for my longest drive in nearly three weeks (10-mile round trip!). '88 Sunny was the perfect choice.

Booked a day off either side of this long Easter weekend so we could have a once-in-a-lifetime trip to New York with the kids. Clearly that didn't happen so I'm now having the longest, laziest period of doing nothing I can recall since I started work in 1986, and I've got the perfect excuse not to get involved with work on the house which would usually be the priority at this time of year.

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Good news everyone, he got away. 

I wondered what the hell was going on as that started when it was way down the page and I was reading something else.  Loads of tabs open in multiple workspaces, digging through them to find where the noise was coming from.  Using a laptop but sound through a proper stereo and 20L speakers :(

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

I wondered what the hell was going on as that started when it was way down the page and I was reading something else.  Loads of tabs open in multiple workspaces, digging through them to find where the noise was coming from.  Using a laptop but sound through a proper stereo and 20L speakers :(

Soz. I can delete it if peeps are having issues. 

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

Boris is out of hospital.

Fantastic news! It frees up a valuable bed for someone who contracted the illness through no fault of their own, rather than someone who:

• Went round purposefully shaking peoples hands long after the official advice was to do the exact opposite, and bragged about this on national TV
  • Is responsible for the delayed response to initial cases, massively increasing the spread of the disease throughout the population, perhaps resulting directly in his own infection, and no doubt many tens of thousands of others.

Laughable as only pride was hurt (and a little chod). 

Driving home from work on Friday night (med device company, so on skeleton staff), I came over the bridge onto the island I live on. 
Weirdly, just to my right as I came over the bridge, there is this huge explosion of water followed by a similarly huge tidal wave. Took me a second to realize that some guy in his car, came flying around the corner (30mph limit) and saw a stopped car in front of him, took to my side of the street, lost control and dropped into the lake!

AE85CA84-C14C-43F9-B354-EF1DF59191A4.thumb.jpeg.aa4096a0e270caf2ddabef736c536452.jpeg

I pulled over to check the driver was okay. Ran over there to his now floating car. I could see him struggle with the door but I shouted not to open it and to wind the window down. 
‘You okay?’

’Shit! Shit, shit, shit!’

’You okay...?’

’Er... yeah, I think so’

’You must have been hacking on there’

‘Er, no... I think it was the summer tyres’ (Quick thinking there by Mr Amazed)

At which point a boat that was in the bay started powering over to him. I turned around and left, snapping these quick pics on the way.

8ED970A1-C03D-480E-A037-4F5CF85B1B2E.thumb.jpeg.a9b4eaa16e72d67cc4d3bd45a36020fe.jpeg

I have to say, his troublesome ‘summer tyres’ probably have flat spots on them now! 30mph my arse!!!

On 4/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, richardmorris said:

One of our customers imports metals. They send samples to us to test. We can’t do iridium as no acid does anything - boiling away in nitric, sulphuric or aqua regia for days on end, it looks the same as when it went in.

@richardmorrisIridium IS very difficult to digest...

8 hours ago, cobblers said:

Going through the bins at work, as you do, I thought I'd struck gold

image.thumb.png.41c3e734e63fa45f0fe11c86d9adfe88.png

image.thumb.png.77c34b42d8b20f488ec9688f6af56afd.png

Two full boxes of brand new, sealed face masks!!

With no filters

How does this work, you're self-employed; are you skip-diving your own rubbish? Or is this the neighbouring units?

18 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

How does this work, you're self-employed; are you skip-diving your own rubbish? Or is this the neighbouring units?

My unit is on a big business park with shared waste. 80% of the units are offices and they chuck perfectly good gear away - I've had shelves and office chairs etc that just needed one bolt tightening or a new wheel etc.

I wasn't really "going through them" but being a yorkshireman, if you see a nice new looking box right on the top of an industrial bin, you've got to have a quick peek.