What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Saw a rarity in the garden recently, couldn't get a picture because it scooted off as soon as it arrived so I stole the below from the internets with thanks to http://www.somersetmothgroup.org.uk.  Bombilius Major, or Bee Fly.  I've never seen one in person before and they're absolutely adorable looking little things, like something from a Ghibli film.

f5968e80.jpg

Right. A couple of grins tonight. 

1) I'm apparently a key worker so I get to go to work. This in itself is a major grin as I'm lost if I'm not kept busy. 

2) The roads are EMPTY. This means people are, at least locally, obeying the rules. It also means I can drive like a twat sensibly, Officer. 

3) Working in the yard unloading and reloading a lorry tonight, I was having a chat with the driver, who remarked on how clear and fresh the air is. My work is right on the A30, not far from the M3, and wedged between several towns and villages, not necessarily conducive to pleasant air... But The air tonight was so fresh and stunningly quiet, it really was something else. Lovely. A pleasure to be outside on such a refreshing evening. Would repeat. If only we could have this little shit in the air all the time eh... Definitely an eye opener. 

Right, Greenpeace propaganda finished, now where did I leave the keys to my V8..?

On 4/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, omegod said:

For me it's a great car programme, Tim's a bit of a pillock but Fuzz is ace and could carry a show on his own 

I photographed Fuzz drumming with The Beat in London on the German culture ship..MS STUBNITZ..and RIP Roger Ranking..such a nice bloke as well...we gently kidnapped him for a photoshoot..thats me on his left

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

19 hours ago, ChrisWilliams said:

Agreed. Unless you have to remove inlet manifolds etc to get at them I tend to buy the bog standard branded versions. Same with headlamp bulbs too 

Takes about an hour and a half to do the plugs on the omega, and i gave up trying when i had the juke. 

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Saw a rarity in the garden recently, couldn't get a picture because it scooted off as soon as it arrived so I stole the below from the internets with thanks to http://www.somersetmothgroup.org.uk.  Bombilius Major, or Bee Fly.  I've never seen one in person before and they're absolutely adorable looking little things, like something from a Ghibli film.

r

We had something that looked like that hovering  in our garden yesterday. For the few minutes it was there it stayed in the same spot.

It looked like a hovering honey-monster..

On 4/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, hairnet said:

prices of iridium plugs

fuck!

I remember working at the spares place when Toyota announced one of their models had plugs that would last 60k.

Oh shit we thought. Plugs must be 20% of our sales. 

We were  relieved to see they cost £80 a set.  Better yet, they didn't last anything like 60k.

Made a change from old gits complaining that N9Ys used to cost a shilling. 

8 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I remember working at the spares place when Toyota announced one of their models had plugs that would last 60k.

Oh shit we thought. Plugs must be 20% of our sales. 

We were  relieved to see they cost £80 a set.  Better yet, they didn't last anything like 60k.

Made a change from old gits complaining that N9Ys used to cost a shilling. 

One of our customers imports metals. They send samples to us to test. We can’t do iridium as no acid does anything - boiling away in nitric, sulphuric or aqua regia for days on end, it looks the same as when it went in.

Pretty poor timing for the wife to leave her cushty job in schools and come and work with me, but 10 days in it's going really well. She's great on the phone and an absolute dab hand with the desoldering gun. But for some reason she seems to absolutely love sandblasting stuff.

image.thumb.png.a715b1d378b26a26d7df73df92ca31fd.png

I only gave her a quick go on it because it gives you massive static shocks every few seconds and I thought it would be funny, but now I can't get her away from it, I've got piles of stuff that needs doing but I have to keep dragging her off it when the air compressor is about to go on fire.

1 hour ago, Neil clark said:

I owned that a while back!

I remember you saying. :-) Did it give your any hassle? It’s been no bother at all for me. It needs a clutch very soon - but it did nearly 3.5 years ago!

Did you run it on veg? The bloke I bought it from hadn’t, and when I started to (SVO) it made the pick up from the tank, right where it enters the sender, leak a bit. But that was easily solved.

2 hours ago, Out Run said:

I remember you saying. :-) Did it give your any hassle? It’s been no bother at all for me. It needs a clutch very soon - but it did nearly 3.5 years ago!

Did you run it on veg? The bloke I bought it from hadn’t, and when I started to (SVO) it made the pick up from the tank, right where it enters the sender, leak a bit. But that was easily solved.

No veg oil no. Never any hassle. I got it from a mate at work that had had it for years and was one of them blokes where it goes into garage every 5 minutes for something to be fixed, proper over the top lol. That's why I had it off him! Brilliant car, I did egr delete...

After a failed attempt..and  the last few days plastering FB with rotten car photos...my dead car book is finally being designed by a bloke who approached me on the Unloved group yesterday..40 yrs design experience and right up his alley..bang..hes onto it..we ve already nearly got the cover done..ive transfered 1200 images to him..so all that i dreamt about a year ago is finally coming in fruition. Once the book is done designed n printed..the reason i bought the JAAG is to punt copies out at car shows.Im happy.

1 hour ago, Neil clark said:

No veg oil no. Never any hassle. I got it from a mate at work that had had it for years and was one of them blokes where it goes into garage every 5 minutes for something to be fixed, proper over the top lol. That's why I had it off him! Brilliant car, I did egr delete...

Nice. She’s a tough old girl.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:48 PM, Timewaster said:

The best car show on at the moment for me is Bangers and Cash following Matthewsons classic auctions.  Main man Derek seems to really have a passion for old cars and would be a top bloke to chat with in the pub.

Great program, Sarah is lovely too.

0_MISS-MARCH-SARAH-CRABTREE.jpg