What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 3/29/2020 at 7:58 PM, LightBulbFun said:

especially if you wire the motor directly to the mains bypassing any safety cutouts! :) 

some of my favorites are from Aussie50 :) (it was Photonicinduction who started the whole "thing" then aussie50 became the best at doing em LOL)

As a spotty teen it was crow bangers used not electricity that's tame,  shame mobile phones whernt around then as we could of had some excellent footage of blowing ourselves up.

I wonder if you can you still get crow bangers hmm internet search coming up.

7 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

What! You mean there's more like you... Or worse  !!! ???

???

You even managed to sneak in some top loader shite, haven't seen one for decades! 

haha yeah there's a few lighting forums out there 

and yeah photo is from the US where Top load washing machines are still a thing I think

I wonder why that is/why we don't get top loaders in the UK anymore...

(I vaguely remember sitting on top of one as a baby in someone else's home but that's my only memory of seeing a top loading washing machine in person)

There's two reasons I've been given for the UK going for front loaders: "Top loaders are for poor people" and "Top loaders take up too much space".  Which yeah, okay, first point well made since top loaders are general more basic and therefore cheaper and some are more cost effective to run, they're also generally more durable so you don't have to repair/replace them so often.  Second point.... well... not really.  A top loader theoretically robs a square of countertop that the front loader doesn't, but you can still put stuff on top of a top loader if you really must.  Personally, I think front loaders are a compromised design and something of a liability.  Top loaders don't tend to flood the place if they break, and they don't seem anywhere near as rough on clothes while also seeming to do a better job of cleaning.  Front loaders are an absolute arse to load and unload, and they're much louder in operation than most top loaders.

When we eventually redo the kitchen, I'm gunning for a top loader.  At the moment we've got this front loader with beepboops and a spin cycle that could out-whine an entitled Fortnite player.  It also has an appetite for cotton knitwear, as evidenced by the many little holes said garments acquire once they've been through the thing a few times.

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wonder why that is/why we don't get top loaders in the UK anymore...

Simples, they use lots more water. If you think about it, the whole drum fills up for the pre-wash (if selected), the wash and each of the rinses. A front loader only fills the bottom portion of the drum, using far less. More mechanical action as well (the laundry lifting up and dropping back into the water) so washes better.

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

When we eventually redo the kitchen, I'm gunning for a top loader.  At the moment we've got this front loader with beepboops and a spin cycle that could out-whine an entitled Fortnite player.  It also has an appetite for cotton knitwear, as evidenced by the many little holes said garments acquire once they've been through the thing a few times.

I think you must be doing it wrong!

Been using front loaders since 1969 and have only had one failure, a few years ago I had my son here for a few days and he would have his clothes washed.

Bunged them in the same as all the rest, 40℃.  His cashmere jumper came out the right size for a five year old (he is a big lad). 

36 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Simples, they use lots more water. If you think about it, the whole drum fills up for the pre-wash (if selected), the wash and each of the rinses. A front loader only fills the bottom portion of the drum, using far less. More mechanical action as well (the laundry lifting up and dropping back into the water) so washes better.

Front loader machines are just becoming popular here. I've got a top loader with a fully mechanical selection dial. 

It'll try to migrate to the other side of the room if there's something in it that's unbalanced (which is the correct way).

Phil

I've had a front loader have it's water level sensor fail and fill the drum up. It only leaked when it filled the detergent tray. That was after it timed out with a water fill error and I restarted the same program hoping it would drain. The drum stayed watertight with all that water in the whole time. So no difference between that and a top loader in terms of being able to leak.

Front loaders are generally more efficient and better than cleaning, as it can throw the clothes around better. Also a lot safer as things can't fall in like small children, pets and the like. Those sort of objects would damage a machine right up. Finally you get more countertop space - important in smaller properties. 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

I think they're 1000 horse power iirc.

I'll have to nag him for a go!

Edit. Just googled and it's only 707bhp.

0-60 of 3.6 seconds

197mph

It'll do I suppose

Mine was 375hp and was plenty quick. Wife wants a Hellcat.

How they going to get around the rear turn signals?

Phil

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

My Americana mate's hellcat has arrived from America. It's ended up in Preston and he's in Bedlington.
How long before it gets iva'd and gets to him with the current situation?
What a sickner after waiting 2 months for delivery.b405d7b33a5b99d163a777bfecb1c11b.jpgdf937b455147be5cc58403dd83802a26.jpg3ad6c6c82303616e710c6d5f322e9040.jpg9fe6a3a662992d8acf3dd77c406ed870.jpg

Seems they could be had in RHD as well....

5 minutes ago, Rovorsche said:

I'm cooking Spag Bol, whilst fridge rummaging I find a pot of plain Hummus.
Hmm thats nice with a dash of hot sauce!

..... red faced with breathing difficulties can take you to to another dimension.

Bet you enjoyed it, though.

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

My Americana mate's hellcat has arrived from America. It's ended up in Preston and he's in Bedlington.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

That's fantastic, great muscle car color as well.   It is amazing how much mileage FCA have got out of that platform with its roots in the w211 e class.

I was doing the prescription deliveries.

Astra touched areas thoroughly anti bac cleaned, me masked up and gloved aswell, knocking and leaving the prescription on the step or on a nearby ledge then walking a few metres back. Obviously leaving something low down on a doorstep isn't ideal for most people of age.

Two lady's appeared at one address  and I was called a "lovely young man"

Couldn't help but think of this

Screenshot_20200402-150435.thumb.jpg.4dcc5218fb32e27160f9b174bfc60450.jpg