What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

21 minutes ago, rainagain said:

however the special pliers to get the spring ring off are over £30! 

I've done this on an old Hotpoint and didn't need special tools to remove but did damage to the seal coming off. Was a long time ago though - no doubt things are more fragile and specially designed to self-destruct when you open them up nowadays.

23 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

I've done this on an old Hotpoint and didn't need special tools to remove but did damage to the seal coming off. Was a long time ago though - no doubt things are more fragile and specially designed to self-destruct when you open them up nowadays.

Yep, I watched some videos on YouTube and they all said you need the special pliers. They look like a giant pair of circlip pliers. I’ll change the seal and stick them back on ebay for a £5 less and hope for the best.  

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

.....I could order another weight, but with made in Italy stamped on most of it its unlikely to be arriving anytime soon and a fair chunk of the concrete seems to be missing so I think it was fucked before it left the factory.....

A long wait / weight, then

23 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Tweaking the carburetor on my backpack leaf blower, got it running really nicely.

Switched it off and the damn thing carried on running for about ten seconds.

I've had A-series engines run on, VW ones too but I have never had a 2 stroke engine run on before.

Phil

If you have carbon build up on the cylinder head, it can glow red enough to light the premix being sucked in, by the rotation of the crank.  It always stops eventually because the ignition isn t very controlled, so is usually a bit late. 

6 minutes ago, New POD said:

If you have carbon build up on the cylinder head, it can glow red enough to light the premix being sucked in, by the rotation of the crank.  It always stops eventually because the ignition isn t very controlled, so is usually a bit late. 

Yeah, it's gonna be grubby inside because it's not been running right. Probably a speck of carbon on the plug.

Phil

On 3/27/2020 at 1:53 AM, anonymous user said:

Is everyone going through their cupboards? I dread to think what "out of date" stuff is in mine

When I was last at my Great Aunt's house she still had a Lucozade bottle from the 70's in her basement! Empty, but I wonder what other stuff she might have there. 

IMG_0531.thumb.jpg.da7588b967494887ad7688de9a0c4182.jpg

Agreed to another car storage bay at the old chicken shed. 

After the house move, this gives me under cover storage for 5 cars or 4 cars if I want to have working room in the garage. With space for 3 cars on the drive (four if I knock the pillar down on the drive) and potential to store 2 outside our house on the road, the room for 7 to 11 cars should be enough room for a while. To be honest, the 5 under cover storage and 2 daily drivers on the drive should be more than sufficient without risking being unable to keep them all maintained and on the road...

Boxster will go back in under cover storage again. Then once I get the garage back together, the Dolomite out of storage to be worked on. This will leave room for another car I can have... Mrs SiC said no when hearing about getting another bay. But she never goes into the storage lockers. :D

I'm thinking possibly now is the time for a Clio 172/182. Ideally Trophy. There is one locally-ish for a good price but lockdown stops me going further. 

On 3/28/2020 at 10:44 PM, motorpunk said:

Did some tinkering with my classic Fiat 500 today. Replaced some fuel hose in the boot (engine compartment), it has an extra fuel filter, a crap plastic in-line thing. It also has one next to the fuel tank under the bonnet. I removed the one in the boot and replaced it with a length of standard fuel hose - fuck me, what a difference! No more slow starting after it has been stood for a while. Really happy with the result. The fuel filter looked clean but was clearly inhibiting flow somehow, especially when hot. It's such a nice thing to drive. :)

Edit - here's a film I made with it last year. 1972 was a good year. 

I just watched the video and enjoyed it very much. During the late 70s and early 80s I was very much a Mini fan (Mini 1000, 1275GT x2 & Clubman estate) so I always reckoned Fiat 500s & 126s were pretty shit compared to a Mini. Now I know I was right haha!

6 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

I just watched the video and enjoyed it very much. During the late 70s and early 80s I was very much a Mini fan (Mini 1000, 1275GT x2 & Clubman estate) so I always reckoned Fiat 500s & 126s were pretty shit compared to a Mini. Now I know I was right haha!

Thanks! I was actually after a Mini but simply couldn’t find one without signs of rot under the headlamps for less than £10k, even “freshly” restored ones had ominous cracks in the paint on the seams. I’ll stick with my Fiat (for now) :)

4 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Thanks! I was actually after a Mini but simply couldn’t find one without signs of rot under the headlamps for less than £10k, even “freshly” restored ones had ominous cracks in the paint on the seams. I’ll stick with my Fiat (for now) :)

That is a given, when one of my 1275GTs was about 3 years old, I had new A panels and sills fitted. The guy who did it told me they had bare metal inside!

However I've heard that Fiats never rust!

On 3/29/2020 at 7:58 PM, LightBulbFun said:

especially if you wire the motor directly to the mains bypassing any safety cutouts! :) 

some of my favorites are from Aussie50 :) (it was Photonicinduction who started the whole "thing" then aussie50 became the best at doing em LOL)

As a spotty teen it was crow bangers used not electricity that's tame,  shame mobile phones whernt around then as we could of had some excellent footage of blowing ourselves up.

I wonder if you can you still get crow bangers hmm internet search coming up.