What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I remember having this games console called a Philips G7000 or something like that, I think it got dumped in the end as it was naff and replaced with a NES with duck hunt, this was back in 1991 though, I bet the Philips is worth a fortune now though. :roll:

Just done some googling, this is the game i had with it as well

Yeh, Phillips G7000 Videopac - I had one in 82ish for about 3 months before I sold it and got a ZX Spectrum. Now I have 2 in my mums loft. :D

g7000.jpg

I really do have a big collection of this stuff....I might have some photos somewhere from when we moved and I was storing it there.

I loved my NES, I had Super Mario Bros 1,2 and 3, Duck Hunt, Tiger Heli and loads of others, probably about 30 or 40 games in total. I bought it in 2002 for a fiver from a bootsale in mint condition with the original box - guess what the first thing to go in the bin was :roll:

I've still got a MIB NES "Asia Version" which I've never had working for the feeble reason that there's no ariel lead with it :(

I seem to remember I had an incredibly shite orange Binatone console that was all in b/w and had a mega shite tennis game on it - good fun though :D

What makes me grin? The look on the face of the suited, booted, prim and proper looking Jehovas Witnesses who have just had the pleasure of having the door answered to them by me, in my Spongebob Boxers, hair all over the place, wearing sunglasses. They dropped the watchtower on the mat and ran back down the path...

All the best for your lad AX-R.

IMG_3343a.jpg

Woo! The bitch is back.

I bought this 1951 Zenith when I was on holiday with family in Maine about 9 years ago. I found it in a tat shop, paid about $30 for it and brought it home, much to the chagrin of US Customs (and this was pre 9/11).

I took it to Alan Marchant at the VWC (as he's very local) in 2004 to try and locate a step down transformer. He's just got new stock in that will run the radio at our voltage, but predictably I'm skint. A friend at Uni wants to use it as a prop in a play she's planning, so I went and fetched it on the way home. It still looks awesome even if the grille has oxidised and it has more dust than previously noted.

I have a small collection of old radios, do any other shiteists?

1. 1947 Ferguson 208U (works)

2. 195? Philco One Oh Two (works, does FM)

3. 194? Bush DAC 90 (works, it has a metal grille but this is 'wrong' apparently)

4. 1943 Radialva Super AS (battered and with a chunk missing, it's a nice ornament)

5. 1951 Zenith H725 (powered up in the States but couldn't pick up any stations.)

Zenith1951ModelH511-Consol-Tone.jpg

Zenith did some seriously fit radios back in the day. They did one that was nicknamed the 'Racetrack' (the H511). I want one of these as well.

EckoA22.jpg

Of course, the most awesome Bakelite radio ever IMHO is the Ekco A22 - possibly the most stylish post war British commodity yet, although the pre war AD65 and AD76 run it close. I don't care if I have to spend £800, I will own one.

Overtaking a Merc SLK and several A4's in the fast lane of the A12 at 70mph in my Austin Cambridge 8)

My Humber Hawk used to be good for that - in overdrive top its natural cruising speed seemed to be 75, which surprised a few modern car drivers - in fact many of them would come back past me at 85 a short while later. Most of the time I managed to resist the temptation to wind the Humber up to 90 and breeze past them again - the fuel consumption used to climb exponentially above 70.

watching the 1970 sci-fi Tv series Timeslip i downloaded earlier

series one has hetty wainthropp's husband has the main characters dad

series two has Hilda Rumple & C.J in shiny spandex (C.J. plays a computer driven clone) :D

just starting on series three - and its in COLOUR :o

Not so much a grin, more a broad smile. My little boy (he's 18!) is training to be a Police Officer.

I don't really know how to put this, but he looks just like a Philips Hi-Fi. I'm sure he's got a great personality though.

I have a small collection of old radios, do any other shiteists?

I've got a late 50's, Marconiphone job that still works fine and dandy. Bought new by my gran and still works fine.

It's ace, bakelite an' all that jazz. FM too!

The Philco One O Two and my Zenith do FM (or UHF as it's listed on the Philco).

Just in the queue at Sainsburys behind some 45 ish year old businessman type, when a woman wanders up and says hello to him from a distance - seemed like they were work acquaintances or something. Anyway, she asks him what he's in come for, and he replies "oh, just some milk and wine" and turns the basket away from her. She peeks down to see what wine it was, and he swerves round again hiding the basket, at which point I notice it had three or four dirty weekend sized packs of rubber johnnies perched atop his two for £8 bottles of wine.

This painful charade went on infront of me for about 3 minutes, with him going more and more red in the face every second, trying to change the subject and manouvering the basket out of her view.

It was beautiful.

And FFS man, you're buying johnnies. Most blokes buy them, it's only natural. I could understand the shame if it was a Nickelback album.

My god that's depressingly cheery. I like it though.

I quite liked that line about numbers of doors at the beginning.

Winning this on Ebay for £3 is making me grin.

!B8yR2owCWk~$(KGrHqF,!i8EzNo,!j8MBM4B3JGTkw~~_12.JPG

Proper UK edition. Metcalfe and Mundy were the Uk concessionaires. Doesn't look very thick but will go nicely with the drivers handbook I've got.

I've just booked some holiday from work after a quick 'heads up' text from my mate, Because of the way my work pattern falls in April and with the Royal wedding being a bank holiday, 3 days holiday works out as 13 days off work!, I have to do a day shift on the Tuesday 19th then won't be back until Tuesday 3rd for a nightshift (the Monday is also a bank holiday). What a result!