What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Watching This Country on the Beeb and there's been some brilliant chod in it including a Volvo 940 and a minty Nissan Bluebird - the latest episode even has an Allegro Vanden Plas in the background. Surely there must be a shiter involved somewhere in the team behind it.

11 hours ago, Roobarb said:

I used to have red/brown Rotrings along with black. I inherited an electric pencil rubber from my Dad who was an architect- you don’t see those any more. Or people with razors by their boards for slashing their wrists... um scratching out their inked in Rotring mistakes. 

Probably because it’s easier (I’m dyslexic) but I still write everything in freehand capitals to this day. No, I’m not shouting!

Funnily, no-one has ever suggested that (to my face). Normally it’s ‘Isnt your handwriting so neat!’

Today, I mostly am using... SolidWorks. 

I started off with green Faber Castells but cheapness and availability saw me move over to the red/brown Rotrings.

Took me a while to master use of the razor blade, but as a junior learning the trade it was frequently put into practice.

I also tend to handwrite in capitals nowadays due to years of writing freehand notes on drawings.

I'm now on AutoCAD LT, which is OK for the architectural stuff I do. Did use the adjustable triangle yesterday however, as I found it easier to overmark a drawing by hand. No point trying to use the pens however.....

All the - graphic artists rather than technical drawists - that I have worked with use scalpels rather than razor blades.  I've used them in print retouching but not in a great many years.  Still have some here.

And I came upon a Rotring pen while searching for something else and it is black with red rings but also brown rings which I think may indicate the diameter of the stylus.

And dentists tools, which was a surprise.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, Rovorsche said:

A pop up advert in a local online newspaper made me grin.
An online chat filter tool to counter harsh language in social media, no idea how it works and I certainly wont be using it but is the name accidental or intentional.

If you have a problem on-line, and nobody else can help you need to engage the twohat filter

https://www.twohat.com/

Two Hat Logo

How do you pronounce that one ?

Are they an associate company of OneCar?

13 hours ago, myglaren said:

All the - graphic artists rather than technical drawists - that I have worked with use scalpels rather than razor blades.  I've used them in print retouching but not in a great many years.  Still have some here.

And I came upon a Rotring pen while searching for something else and it is black with red rings but also brown rings which I think may indicate the diameter of the stylus.

And dentists tools, which was a surprise.

Brown ring (oo-er missus) is 0.4mm, Autoshiters need the 0.5mm pens with beige ring. The black barreled Rotring pens were later replaced with maroon, I still have sets of both.

The first technical drawing of an kind I've done for years, I think I did ok. The choice to use a cube actually made it more challenging than it really had to be because it meant having to really think about which side was which to make sure I'd dimensioned it correctly. When my textbooks turn up I'll be able to practice properly!

20200312_150834.thumb.jpg.c5b94a949a6f5fdac0cf8d5936a918ec.jpg

21 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Grump that turned into a grin.  Got home to find a PCN from the Dartford Crossing on the doormat.  Fair cop, I knew I'd forgotten to pay (I did pay, but two days later).  Thought I'd better ring up the automated phone line and pay it straight away, before I forgot again and the charge went up to the higher level.  Went through the menu, entered the PCN number, and the robot woman goes "The amount due is two pounds and fifty pence".  Aye, I'll take that...

theyre friendly to bumpkins :D

3 hours ago, TataBobu said:

Shouldn't the perspective be a bit oblique? I do remember we would have had points taken off for aligning the corners one on top of the other.

Quite possibly. I did this just based on what I can remember.

3 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

If you really want to impress try a 3point perspective ellipse :D

USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-A).jpg

I used to be able to do them, I'll have to give it a go once I'm more confident

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Had a nice run up to Manchester to visit family.

Suzuki is in excellent company. Truly is Granadaland up here in the NW

What's that in front of the Granada with the plowed in front end?

This should be a grump, as it was caused by my 'significant' birthday treat of an Easter family holiday in New York being messed-up by current events. I'll just have to not be 50 for a few months longer (probably no bad thing).

Decided to indulge in a bit of retail therapy and fill in the last few gaps in my What Car? 1973-2000 collection. 1998 got completed the other day, just 15 issues from 1992-93 to go.

Found a seller in Colchester who had seven of them, he was happy to do a deal if I collected and luckily I was going as far as Ipswich so I went and got them. We were going to banger racing at Foxhall (a sporting event/mass gathering in these current times?!) and I was going to take the Camry anyway, so it did a few more miles than I'd planned and did a fine job. It was great for it to stretch its legs on the A12, now it's back in use it's usually confined to short journeys on the local country roads.

It's difficult to describe the joy I get from driving it. There was a brief moment of doubt when I turned up at the magazine man's house and heard a scraping noise, but it just turned out to be a stick that had somehow got underneath.

Banger/stock car racing also good, took a few photos on my  travels and saw a Viva HC driving along the A14, so worked out to be a pleasant afternoon/evening.