What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

41 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Holy Mother of God.  Wouldn’t fancy doing the head gasket on that on the driveway.

5.6m lb/ft of torque? If you fitted a grippy tyre to it you could probably stop the earth rotating.

Hopefully the lorry driver's sat-nav won't be taking him under any low bridges.

30 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Today I asked the 9 year old what I should get her sister for her birthday. "some poo" was the reply. What Mr Hankey the Christmas poo I asked. No it's not Christmas just some poo. So I showed her a picture of Mr Hankey and apparently I'm wierd.

Maybe try a picture of a Kia Sedona instead?

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

Holy Mother of God.  Wouldn’t fancy doing the head gasket on that on the driveway.

55 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

[pedant mode] Those big marine 2-strokes normally have a separate head for each cylinder [/pedant mode]

Ah, that’s alright then — bring it over Thursday, should be ready by lunchtime.

Some shiny new toys arrived today :D

20200309_151126.thumb.jpg.7aeaf07bbab1a864dac0fa155c08dbab.jpg

I didn't realize these were NOS:

20200309_155144.thumb.jpg.0d0f3524427b077ace2a13347d3bd1be.jpg

They're almost identical to but smaller than the ones I used learning technical drawing the first time around a mere 11 years ago. I think the ones I used at the time were already quite old because state school.

The ruler however is far nicer than I've used before!

20200309_155210.thumb.jpg.6951894165c769366a44038c8f23d1b8.jpg

I wrote off the letter stencil as cheap tat because of the colour until I looked closer, again seems to be Good Quality.

I also have a series of textbooks (also used) on the way to help refresh my memory and pick up where I left off. Technical Drawing was the one class I actually looked forward to at school, it's absolutely criminal that I decided not to carry on with it because I wanted to chase the £££ promised of Computers. That went well, didn't it?

If I'm right about having a knack for it, this should be an interesting venture, if I'm wrong it can at least provide some comedy here.

My drawing board arrived while I was still sleeping off my day-off overindulgence so will get delivered tomorrow hopefully and I can give it all a go!

My most proud moment was getting 98 % in the mock O level exam for "Geometric and Technical Drawing" being predicted a C - which the teacher explained to my mother was because he couldn't believe it given that until that point I'd done nothing in class for s year or so, inferring that I must have cheated, and then amazingly getting an A in the real thing.  

I recently bought some CAD software and 37 years on intend to get myself back.up to speed.  

Can you still buy A0 drawing film? 

I had quite a few similar experiences at school, predicted low grades because I seemed to just be messing around but actually I just felt like I understood it all. That was my downfall eventually as in reality I obviously didn't have everything figured out but when you're 16 and miles ahead of everyone else obviously you think you must be the fucking Messiah or something.

20 minutes ago, myglaren said:

20200309_151126.jpg

I have an identical set somewhere, were my grandads and around 100 years old now.  Must have a root around for them.

I got them for the grand total of £6.50 posted! They're stamped with "GERMANY" so I think must be prewar. Far far better made than anything I could get new for similar money!

Hopefully I still know how to use them!

5 hours ago, reb said:

Some shiny new toys arrived today :D

I used to earn my living using stuff like this. Still got most of it, I think my adjustable triangle is a Unique item. It was only because I liked the idea of technical drawing that I got a job as a draughtsman in the trade I'm still in 34 years later.

There were some drawings where I used only the stencil to do lettering, but it's pretty tedious writing a set of construction notes with it. The one you have has the difficult '8', not easy to get the top and bottom halves lined-up!

CAD is a lot quicker, but I do miss the craft of working on a drawing board.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I used to be ok at CAD, but I find I can pick concepts up much quicker when they're physically in front of me, that way I can understand what the CAD software is doing behind the scenes. Obviously if I want to make a living out of it I'll need to get the hang of CAD too!

Just looking online for a prezzy for my granddaughter, and I found this...

Personalised Kids Wooden Doctors Kit Toy Set

This super cute Personalised Kids Wooden Doctors Kit Toy Set makes a great gift for any little one. Especially if they love helping others.

All the dolls, teddy bears and mummy and daddy can be taken care of with this wooden doctors kit.

This kit includes all the medical instruments that are needed!

The syringe has a pimp mechanism

I can't stop giggling having spotted that.  Think I should tell them?

10 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Today I asked the 9 year old what I should get her sister for her birthday. "some poo" was the reply. What Mr Hankey the Christmas poo I asked. No it's not Christmas just some poo. So I showed her a picture of Mr Hankey and apparently I'm wierd.

Buy one of these, its poo if you say it in French

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/qOq0z/s4/1985-toyota-mr2.jpg

9 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I used to earn my living using stuff like this. Still got most of it, I think my adjustable triangle is a Unique item. It was only because I liked the idea of technical drawing that I got a job as a draughtsman in the trade I'm still in 34 years later.

There were some drawings where I used only the stencil to do lettering, but it's pretty tedious writing a set of construction notes with it. The one you have has the difficult '8', not easy to get the top and bottom halves lined-up!

My grandad was a draughtsman/locomotive designer at the Doncaster works.  We have a few of his drawings here and they are very impressive.

I was a civil engineer. Started in a drawing office straight from school and worked my way up. That drawing set is similar to the one I had to purchase. Made in Germany, by MARS.

Later the cases were totally plastic rather than the felt used in this one. I stated work in the early 70's. Later branded as Staedtler.

Have you got a set of technical pens too?

Staedtler marsmaticTechnical Pens — the set of Rapidograph ...