What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, jumpingjehovahs said:

Came out of work and left the car park in a hurry to avoid the yoofs in the bike shed, not noticing this until I got home

40a5c56ec5fc16fa7bc2e733756cfcf3.jpg

93abdcbb4a7b54c8b732969c1f5b7903.jpg

31a0e78552ed5a917374c1e98f6a7bdf.jpg

Oh, it’s a business card! Ah FUCK, who’s hit it?!

148ed8edfcdd7a87f16af040b88f95cb.jpg

7597f565cab03139e7aac3c63c1cbe6a.jpg

Phew emoji28.png Looks like I’ve been@BorniteIdentity ‘d!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say it looks resplendent. They’re fantastic things; Ma Identity had one from new. They look like a little space rocket on wheels. 

I have a very sensible tester in Gamlingay who usually gives me two advisories for every eight I get elsewhere. If something will need attention he’ll tell you rather than always reverting to the boxes on the system. Let me know if you need a hand!

PS I’m definitely on for some tickets if and when! 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:11 PM, vulgalour said:

I got my sewing machine out to check it hadn't suffered from being in storage and I'm pleased to report the old lump is still perfectly happy. 

Top tip: if you've not done any sewing for a while, pick something simpler than a shirt to get yourself going again.  I put my sewing away today when I put the sleeves on the wrong way around so the cuffs are upside-down.  Easy enough to resolve, just... yeah.  It's a lot like riding a bicycle too in that the first bits I put together are all wibbly wobbly and the last bits (apart from being on the wrong way around) look like I actually know what I'm doing.  Still, when done the shirt will be perfectly servicable, if not exactly pretty, and it uses up some linen that's been in storage for a few years that had got a bit sun-faded so I'm not spoiling new pricey fabric for the experiment.  Next thing on my sewing shopping list is an adjustable male tailor's form, which can be a little tricky to find.  Making your own clothes is much less convenient than buying from a shop and requires a certain degree of interest in the process, so certainly not for everyone.  I also don't make clothes for other people, I've learned the hard way why that's a bad idea.  This is one hobby I keep as just that and I enjoy it much more as a result.

I’ve always been interested in making my own clothes but I’ve never taken the plunge. My OH has a sewing machine and the most I’ve done on it is hem some trousers. Would you mind sharing some tips? I thought about making a t-shirt for a first try, good/bad idea? Perhaps we need a sewing shite thread? 

The NHS trust I work for are putting together teams to get PPE'd up to work in "PODS" at NHS walk in centres to screen attendees for Coronavirus , flat rate pay with no danger money ....... Nah I don't think so but I was considering doing it for Shit's n Giggles 

3 minutes ago, rainagain said:

I’ve always been interested in making my own clothes but I’ve never taken the plunge. My OH has a sewing machine and the most I’ve done on it is hem some trousers. Would you mind sharing some tips? I thought about making a t-shirt for a first try, good/bad idea? Perhaps we need a sewing shite thread? 

Tee-shirts are more complicated and technically challenging than you might expect.  For one thing, they're made from a knitted fabric which is what gives them their stretch and when you're learning to sew, stretchy fabric is a Bad Thing.  Perhaps the easiest article to start with is a bandana since that will be a woven fabric and it will teach you all the sewing machine basics as well as good sewing machine control.  If you don't like the end result, it's no great loss either, and if you do like it then you've the confidence to move on to more adventurous things.  More than happy to set up a sewing shite thread (hah, pun) if there's interest.

I fixed the odometer on my bike so it now counts up the miles again. I also fixed the speedometer and recalibrated it to GPS because it had taken to telling me I was doing 45 mph at about 15. Put some fresh fuel in it, tightened the intake and exhaust nuts and took it for a spin. Still buzzes along happily, I've got spatters of oil on my ankle and I smell of two-stroke exhaust.

Life is good

So this is what a Full Service History pollen filter looks like on a 169 Panda?

1576141259_pollenfilter01.thumb.jpg.b24cd396e4476faf88def3709d0b6710.jpg

I didn't bother changing it last service just after I got the car because, well, I had lots of more important* things to do on the car, surely it doesn't need changing every year does it, and how bad can it be if the car has FSH (main dealer until 2012, then Kwik-Fit)?

Ah, right. Thanks guys. Pulled a nice pile of botanical detritus out with it too.

1542107515_pollenfilter02.thumb.jpg.cf424464c1c336bd1677aba0aa37b997.jpg

Air filter and spark plugs were also ancient and filthy so I should have guessed. As was the transmission oil, which was also low.

What exactly do they do when a car comes in for a service?

9 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Tee-shirts are more complicated and technically challenging than you might expect.  For one thing, they're made from a knitted fabric which is what gives them their stretch and when you're learning to sew, stretchy fabric is a Bad Thing.  Perhaps the easiest article to start with is a bandana since that will be a woven fabric and it will teach you all the sewing machine basics as well as good sewing machine control.  If you don't like the end result, it's no great loss either, and if you do like it then you've the confidence to move on to more adventurous things.  More than happy to set up a sewing shite thread (hah, pun) if there's interest.

I found making skirts for wife and daughter to be relatively easy,  dresses for adult women are hard. Your right about materials though, I would add yu want to work with one that is not too thin or thick as they can be a right pig in the machine. Worth buying a jeans roller (foot) if doing denim or other heavy materials. Off and on I have fancied doing a tailoring course, just one for pleasure over career mind, I can never find jackets I like or they are expensive. 

11 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I have to say it looks resplendent. They’re fantastic things; Ma Identity had one from new. They look like a little space rocket on wheels. 

I have a very sensible tester in Gamlingay who usually gives me two advisories for every eight I get elsewhere. If something will need attention he’ll tell you rather than always reverting to the boxes on the system. Let me know if you need a hand!

PS I’m definitely on for some tickets if and when! 

I agree on it's looks, sharp as a very sharp thing. Still looks pretty fresh I think! I didn't bring it to work today, but next time I do you're welcome to a poke around and a quick spin! It would be good to talk more about that tester, I am doing my best to find a sympathetic tester as my car just goes to the dealer, so I don't know any locally.

Got sent to Grantown on Spey today. 8 hour day with all the driving on the clock, so ended up spending 5 hours driving there and back and only 3 hours on site including lunch.

IMG_20200225_095513226.thumb.jpg.b535ad1453c666163eb1226c1370d958.jpg

IMG_20200225_095518032.thumb.jpg.247ff6fb6b838e4ef637a531c6ddc4fa.jpg

IMG_20200225_142447141.thumb.jpg.4378507de45567a5bf9ee2283099c4dc.jpg

IMG_20200225_142449650_HDR.thumb.jpg.e2c3bceb7b9cdc3c302d77e1fd8d2313.jpg

Coming back via the Lecht in a 3.5t van was interesting. :D

5 hours ago, 320touring said:

An akshul professional photographer took a shot of this at the Tartan Tarmac meet on Sunday.

Looks ace!

FB_IMG_1582631913439.thumb.jpg.1b0893a1ee6e19e7af8bb381bfe43762.jpg

The boy who does the phoaties for those meets likes the oddball stuff. We oblige

That's nice and all, but when I take a photo of something, I like to get the whole of that something into the shot.