What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's not recent, they were all over my school 40 years ago. The vertical orientation was favoured and I thought they were cowboy hats.

Strange as I was a teacher from about 1987 and never saw it until about 2010 that I remember...

I always preferred this sort of thing myself...

lBzqHF6Y.jpg.95355f2c931baa9725edd76cdc240ddc.jpg

21 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

What is this recent phenomenon of drawing a nob on everything? I don't get it as I'm not keen to see any image of a nob...

Maybe I'm unusual...

That was about 10yrs ago the lad did that so even that picture isn't recent.

My mates and I did one on the roof of Woolies in Worthing in about 1987. We used to try getting onto the roof of all the buildings in town to pull moonies at the people shopping below. When we got onto Woolies there was a can of paint and instinct took over and a CDC was made. 

I've just looked and there's defo a knob shape at the bottom of the picture. I'd be very surprised if its ours mind you 33 years later but you never know. 

IMG_20200127_183416.thumb.jpg.88efa00b18ee31b2b27075f2d4a8551b.jpg

18 minutes ago, snagglepuss said:

This parked up the front of a house on an estate near me certainly made a change from the rusty BMW's and Mondeo's
a10c673c54052dc7501cc7438d74c9f9.jpgae34345c790efd98f8f771f539b93285.jpg

I love pictures like this for some reason :) 

theres a couple floating around here of Double deckers parked on someone's driveway

id love to know the stories behind them :) 

2092932603_AECRT_LondonTransportRT1790_N_DavidArnold_Large.jpg.da4e80683f44e92394fba1f819bca186.jpg

Bloke down Water Lane in Angmering where I grew up used to have some old 1970s Lincolns and  lorry parked on his drive. 

These days he could just park the fucker on the road outside like every other cunt down the road causing traffic chaos. 

I fucking hate driving ANYWHERE darn sarf these days. 

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

This vision picture has appeared in Lidl where the roadworks are.

But what kind of dystopian future is this where the roads are overrun with Vectra's and MK4 Fiesta's!c73b6723101673534b8e00462dbe310c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

That Vectra at the traffic lights is going to get a very stiff neck trying to watch them go green. Also the pedestrian crossing call boxes have no matching green man signal. Nor is there a designated marked way for the pedestrians to cross or even traffic to stop at the line. I'm sure there is more there that would cause @angle to have a few twitches. 

15 minutes ago, SiC said:

That Vectra at the traffic lights is going to get a very stiff neck trying to watch them go green. Also the pedestrian crossing call boxes have no matching green man signal. Nor is there a designated marked way for the pedestrians to cross or even traffic to stop at the line. I'm sure there is more there that would cause @angle to have a few twitches. 

Jesus that's grim. If anything those cars are too new, that's proper 1992 that is. 

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

Bloke down Water Lane in Angmering where I grew up used to have some old 1970s Lincolns and  lorry parked on his drive. 

These days he could just park the fucker on the road outside like every other cunt down the road causing traffic chaos. 

I fucking hate driving ANYWHERE darn sarf these days. 

Roundstone Lane used to be OK til they built shit loads of houses down there, the 259 used to be a fkin nightmare, solid all the time, probably even worse nowadays 

A low budget documentary on Amazon Prime has cheered me up tonight

Have a watch of a 2009 series called "Deadliest Journeys" in particular an episode from Cameroon about Taxi Drivers

The bravest drivers in Cameroon are named the "Clandos". They drive illegal taxis and are the only ones who are brave enough to navigate the country's dangerous road networks, some of the worst on the African continent. Only 2% of the roads have been asphalted. All of the country's inhabitants rely on the Clandos' taxi services, they have no other choice.

Found a taster in French

Full episode in French, the pictures do not need translation.......

7 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Roundstone Lane used to be OK til they built shit loads of houses down there, the 259 used to be a fkin nightmare, solid all the time, probably even worse nowadays 

To be fair, you cant blap down Roundstone Lane at 90 anymore as there's roundabouts and speed bumps everywhere but at least there's no cars parked all down the side road.

Water lane is awful as you're pulling in and out of parked cars all the time or avoiding people who must be going somewhere really important, as they just pull straight out past the cars onto your side of the road without warning. 

The A259 is AWFUL past Angmering, they left verges at the side of the single lane bits so that they could widen it but never have. 

But its not limited to there. Going along the A27 to Portsmouth is awful as its traffic hell all day, especially at Arundel & Chichester (although I understand the Arundel bypass is bring built now, that McDonald's will finally fulfil its destiny 30 yrs after it was built) but if you go past L.A. and Bognor etc big bits are also chocca and theres extra roundabouts and traffic lights where there's new estates which is fine but with the volume of traffic its just grim. 

Its still busy up where I am but nowhere near as bad as down there these days. I actually dread going anywhere when I'm visiting my Mum. 

I really enjoy going up to Cumbria and the borders to visit my old man when it comes to driving anywhere as there's no traffic. Its lovely. Just get up and go somewhere. 

*edit* Apologies for having such a rant on the Grin thread. 

Have a picture of a kitten, which I think is the done thing on t'interweb. 

6219768474_4d9390747d_b.thumb.jpg.c3034d53787cdd18c97670e389e3582a.jpg

If you liked the Cameroonian taxis search for documentary called "Hulk Through Hell" on YouTube.  It follows people taking the 3 week journey up the Congo River in a huge boat.  Just amazing.  Real heart of darkness stuff.  And as someone on reddit said, "Watch this and you'll never complain about anything in your life again". 

7 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

....The bravest drivers in Cameroon are named the "Clandos". They drive illegal taxis and are the only ones who are brave enough to navigate the country's dangerous road networks, some of the worst on the African continent. Only 2% of the roads have been asphalted...

To be fair, 2% is probably a greater percentage than that achieved in the Democratic* Republic of Congo. 

Massive grin from me today, it actually started yesterday but it has not faded at all! After 4 years of no work (I am a day rate contractor and my industry (oil and gas) has been decimated since 2014) but yesterday I was offered a contract starting next month. May only be a few days, may be lots, but that is the nature of the game and I will take anything. I can get.

Of course first I had to get a new Offshore Medical (done this morning), a certificate of fitness for diving (for the re-breather (done this morning) and then I have to renew my offshore survival certificate, just booked and doing it Thursday. I hate the survival, they will try to kill me by setting fire to my world, then try to drown me in a pool and if that does not work turn me upside down, underwater in a simulated helicopter.

For the pleasure* of the above, my chod buying fund has been relieved of almost a kilopound.

Still grinning though!